I hate that they added Romans in Age of Empires 2's timeline

Having a standalone expansion? fine. But adding Romans in Age of Empires 2’s timeline is just terrible. Completely immersion breaking.

6 Likes

Romans make sense when there’s Alaric and Attila. Also, AoE 2 is the game where Texas is an island. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

This sudden emergence of professional historians on this topic reminds me of that when US was added to AOE3, a few Engrish speakers suddenly discovered “wait are the unit voice lines so cringe for other languages?”
Yes the voice lines were so cringe for other languages.

Just like how Huns and woad raiders and several other civs/units have been so immersion breaking. You just happen to be unfamiliar with them. Now it comes to what you’re familiar with and it’s your turn to feel the cringe.

Edit: censoring the combination of “AOE3” and “some” makes the dirtiest joke of today. I don’t even think of that when typing it.

9 Likes

There’s some issues with that:

• The Byzantines are already the Romans. So it’s not even French-Burgundians but more like having the Turks and then having the Ottomans.
  • We have the Franks (French), Italians, Spanish, Portuguese… and then the Romans.

Yeah, we have the Huns and Attila, but they don’t lead to such immersion breaking games as having the Romans fight the Spanish. Not to say that Huns vs Spanish is completely accurate but in an alt-history scenario where they survived is. But Romans vs Spanish is just weird.

4 Likes

Well, you could see Romans then as alt-history as well. It’s basically the same as Aztecs and Mexicans in AoE 3.

1 Like

Just because they broke immersion once, doesn’t mean they should break immersion again. I’d be perfectly fine if this was a AoE1 remake DLC. But Romans within AoE2’s timeframe is a bit too much for me.

I mean Mexicans & Azects have their share of problems, but given that the Mexicans are not the Aztecs’ direct ancestore (since they all pretty much died out before the Mexicans were a thing) it’s easier to “make believe” a “the Aztecs didn’t die and the Spanish who came eventually became Mexicans” in your head. But Romans fighting French, it’s so weird to try to explain that away. Not to mention Romans having Paladins, Arbalester, Champion, makes you think “what the heck are they doing in this timeline?”.

4 Likes

51 topics, we a getting closer to the :100:

6 Likes

Goths, Celts, Huns, plus every civ outside Europe: sure.

They didn’t just break the immersion once. They broke the immersion as many times as there are non high medieval western European civs since the very beginning.

Having to bear Chinese in AOE2 speaking modern, machine-translated Chinese with phrases people use when answering phone calls (literally, not joking) and having a gimmicky weapon rarely used in actual military, it’s very satisfying to see the majority of the game’s audience start to feel the same cringe.

5 Likes

When I was 8: wow AOE2 was such an amazing historical game!
When I was 12: do you know this and that and that unit/civ is historically inaccurate? (Telling every single person I know)

It is not the end yet. Wait until romans getting hand canoneers and cannon galleons xD

2 Likes

The Huns are in the game, and they existed entirely before Rome fell.

Like it or not, the Romans make total sense to be in the game.

4 Likes

It makes as much sense as having Napoleonic France and the French Republic as 2 separate civs within the same game. Or the Ottoman Empire and Republic of Turkey.

4 Likes

Goths and Spanish: we’ll give you a big like.

1 Like

Thank you for your like Goths and Spanish, hope they don’t add the Visigoths after the Romans as well.

1 Like

Poles and Slavs: sure.

1 Like

People saying that the Slavs should be renamed Rus because it’s inconsistent and the civ’s theme repressents the Rus anyway: thanks!

3 Likes

The Slavs should not be renamed Rus because that’s close to Russians, and the Slavs also represent Ukraine. Given current world events, renaming the civ to make Ukraine equivalent to Russia would cause more problems than it solves.

The name Ruthenians would be fine for the Slavs.

Indeed due to current events, the matter is hotter than it once had been…

1 Like

Do you have a minute to talk about our lord and savior, the Kievan Rus?

2 Likes

But Rus also applies to Kyivan Rus, which was centred on Kyiv, Ukraine’s capital.

1 Like