I hope there is an option to use the old graphics

I love the old 2D sprites, so I kinda hope there is an option to use either one.
Who else agrees?

3 Likes

Graphics is one of things being redone in this game. Yes, there are new features, but they’re emphasising on the new graphics. I’m sorry, but I think I disagree. If you want the old sprites, just stick with the original. The old 2D Sprites are great, but I think I’ll give these new ones a try.

@“Sardinia Fert” said:
Graphics is one of things being redone in this game. Yes, there are new features, but they’re emphasising on the new graphics. I’m sorry, but I think I disagree. If you want the old sprites, just stick with the original. The old 2D Sprites are great, but I think I’ll give these new ones a try.

I mean you know that the original one doesn’t run in new computers, so it would be cool if you could choose to play with either, I will gice both a try, but I want the choice to be able to play with either

@“NOBLE TEAM2” said:

@“Sardinia Fert” said:

I mean you know that the original one doesn’t run in new computers, so it would be cool if you could choose to play with either, I will gice both a try, but I want the choice to be able to play with either

They’ve said that you can play the original game if you get the definitive edition. So you can play with the old graphics if you want.

@“NOBLE TEAM2” said:

@“Sardinia Fert” said:

@WaterInk218386 said:

@“NOBLE TEAM2” said:

@“Sardinia Fert” said:

They’ve said that you can play the original game if you get the definitive edition. So you can play with the old graphics if you want.

I did not realise. I must apologise. Probably shouldn’t be listening to me then.

That is good to hear

Actually I am playing AOE original on Win 10 x64 with a 4th gen CPU and a 970 GTX. I can understand people want to play the 2D sprites and according to the news there will be an option to play with the old graphics.

Also I disagree to play the old version of the game just for the graphics, because I believe it will be possible to play with the old graphics and still benefit from the majority of ergonomic enhancements linke queueing units or technologies, and everything else they will introduce

I would love to see this, however I highly doubt that this will happen.

If you want that just fire up a virtual machine with Windows XP and play it in there :wink:
I hope the devs don’t have to dedicate their precious time to make the old game run on a 20 years newer machine with the old graphics :wink:

AoE:DE with include “Classic Mode — The original 1997 experience” according to forgottenempires.net/age-of-empires-definitive-edition

@Sarsy said:
AoE:DE with include “Classic Mode — The original 1997 experience” according to Age of Empires: Definitive Edition - Forgotten Empires

I’m glad that is the case.

Here you are: :slight_smile:

http://www.forgottenempires.net/age-of-empires-definitive-edition
All-new graphics & artwork
Multiplayer
Remastered soundtrack
Remastered sound effects
Completely revamped UI
The good old campaigns with proper spit and polish
Countless balance adjustments
New terrains & scenario editor objects
** Classic Mode — The original 1997 experience**
Plenty a-wololo

There is a Classic Mode, so you’ll be able to re-live the original sprites. I think I’ll find myself toggling between the old and new ones quite often.

I’m pretty sure that Classic Mode will also lack a lot of features of the new mode. For instance, in the new version, it seems that along with there being more facings, units can also travel in more angles. That’s a gameplay difference that conflicts with classic mode unless they go back and make more facings from scratch for the old game.

Point being: Classic mode will almost surely not be able to play multiplayer with regular mode, and will most likely also have gameplay differences.

How do you guys reckon they will implement the classic mode? Will it needed to be selected on a start-up launcher?

Or will it be like some of the other HD remakes (monkey island 1&2 come to mind) of classic games where you can switch between mid game? (unlikely imo)

Probably the most usable option would be a game setting, this would give the option of a HD random map or a classic. That way if the classic mode lacks the features as > @ABetterBadger suggested you could still have both types of multiplayer games.

As much as I like the idea of the classic mode, I think I will only play it to see what’s changed and what not. For the rest I will go for the full new game 99% of the time

I hope that the original graphics and CD audio (not the adlib audio that came in the Gold edition) can be played with, and that widescreen resolutions can be used with the original graphics, and not have it be too zoomed out, or too zoomed in. I also hope that smooth screen-panning will be available in the classic graphics mode.

But if the game’s not available on Steam, I won’t be playing it with any graphics. Windows Store is crap, and UWP is crap, and Windows 10 only is crap. Microsoft should stop hating its willing customers.

It would be pretty cool to see the old style again

Well, this hope didn’t come true. There’s only game mode in which the original graphics can be used, which is a big joke. Can’t even play the campaign using the original graphics and music.

Pretty much every other remaster of old games out there lets the player choose whether to use the new visuals or the old ones. But not AoE DE.

1 Like

A lot more stuff than just graphics were changed in DE so it would be impossible to just switch it to the old graphics.