I Really Hope This Game Replaces AOE2: It's Just Better

Yeah, I’m thinking of installing AoEIV again since it’s been over a year since I played it. While I’ve continued to follow it’s development I’ve just been waiting to get motivated enough to try it again after a years worth of updates. I owe it to the game.

Also been contemplating installing 2DE just for the campaigns. Every AoE game offers something that I enjoy so with AoEIV it didn’t hit me right away but I’m gonna give it another shot.

AoE2DE offers stellar campaigns.

AoE3DE offers excellent unique gameplay, depth, and fun. The campaigns don’t do much for me and that was true all the way back in 2005.

AoM is an absolute joy to play.

AoEO is a game I really have to try. I feel incomplete in my AoE fandom since it’s the one game I haven’t played.

I hope AoEIV will offer me something. Just because I have misgivings about it doesn’t mean I’m just gonna write it off. When people say the game has really gotten much better since release I’m inclined to believe them.

4 Likes

One month’s data cannot be considered a trend, no analyst does that. Note: the game is on discount

I noticed that as well. Initially, there was some unneccesary hostile behaviour from mainly AoE 2 players and defensive reaction from AoE 4 players when the game was new but as we’re now in a phase where AoE 4 can be considered a game that found its playerbase stabilized the concurrent player count, those players are acting hostile against the older games, mainly AoE 2 as they see it as their main “rival”.

You can’t treat AoE as the average annual sports game/FPS title. I guess that’s a misconception that developed over the years.

It’s the same with Starcraft where SC2 exists but many still love to play Broodwar. Or Total War where the old games such as Medieval 2 still go strong.

4 Likes

yup and the number still down unless the fact changes tomorrow but still the best days when aoe 4 actually increase its playerbase is when they made aoe 4 a f2p game as you can see in the chart when the 2 peaks post launch month is where the “f2p weekend” happened .

Aoe 4 will never have a chance to catch up to how much content of any other aoe games. It will be stuck with 20years of disadvantage. I want all games to be supported but your newest game should have the most.

Here’s a video from Demu just talking about aoe4 problems while playing. The difference in the development of stormgate and aoe4 is there priority is one game. Shows why aoe4 isnt as good as it could be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAZgyONvff0

it’s bullshit to blame other franchise games. So much bullshit.
Simple explanation:
two different developers, and one publisher.

It’s like saying sc2 as good as it gets, cause they developed Diablo3 at the same time.

If that’s what you mean.
btw, Stormgate for now is just claims… we did not touch real engine.
Can be buggy at release, but improve later. Everything can happens.

3 Likes

I don’t really care who made the game. I have all age games and I brought there newest game aoe4 expecting it to have the most support as 100% of game developers normally do

1 Like

Well, in my humble opinion as a casual gamer, and my friends as well. There are TWO things that are bothering us the most.

1º) For AoE4 to attract more players, it would obviously need more civilizations… at the moment AoE4 lacks many cool civilizations and other more exotic ones.

2º) Now the second thing… there is something that bothers you when you look at AoE4… it’s not the color, because AoE2 is also colorful… but it seems that AoE2 is much more realistic, which it’s bizarre, because AoE2 is a 2D game practically.
The only thing I can think of is the TEXTURE used in AoE4. Where is that feeling of iron/steel armor and weapons, EVERYTHING looks like some kind of PLASTIC… Please devs, change the texture, use something that feels more realistic.

→ EXTRA NOTE: Obviously there are still other details missing, but they are less important than the previous ones.
I will list two more things that should be improved:

• Greater customization of player profile “flag” needed (I want more colors, A LOT MORE COLORS please)
  • And another thing is the lack of different animals in each map biome, it’s even annoying to change the biome but the animals are always the same.
3 Likes

While I don’t agree with pitting games against each other, this isn’t exclusive to the Age IV fanbase in the slightest.

Now that Age IV has found its own playerbase, they’re going to fire back in the same way. Nobody likes their favourite being put down. I wish games communities weren’t this tribal, but they have been for years (even if Age, imo, is better than a lot I’ve been a part of).

Yeah, same, though I missed the boat on III as well.

1 Like

True, I think this is caused partially by the washed out colors they use especially color player. Also weapons and armor don’t look good. I’m not sure why they chose to do that but it is very off putting. Particularly since the other age games have more realistic looking armor, weapons etc.

4 Likes

It’s not totally exclusive just an observation. Also I haven’t seen threads called I wish AoE 2 totally replaced AoE IV or I wish AoE 3 will replace AoE 4, AoE 2. Just saying.

Edit apparently saying or after the number 4 is censored

2 Likes

Well, that’s because IV is newer, and that’s the way replacement tends to work, imo. See the whole Stormgate thread.

But I was replying to the hostility in a general way. Wasn’t aware you were talking about this specific thread title, didn’t read it that way, my bad.

1 Like

in your opinion sc2 should be sucks cause Blizzard developed at least 2 and supported 3 games?
One company produce 2 games → it’s the reason to fail.

This what you said.

PS Dota & CS go also should be failure cause Valve developing them at the same time.
not me… but you claimed it.

2 Likes

This thread caught my eye so chiming in. I just bought 4 on Steam on sale and decided to sign up for the Insiders program to support studios making historical games.

I am 39 and on my first PC was playing AoE 1, 2, and all the other RTS games at the time. Today I play a ton of different games on all platforms. No desire to play old RTS games, been there done that. There are just too many better modern games at this point. AoE4 is good, I have no idea why people still play AoE2.

Here to say, RTS games have always been niche, and AoE4 seems like a game that will sustain for a long time, but will not grow, especially if those AoE2 heads keep cannibalizing their own franchise.

4 Likes

While it is true that AoE 2 players tend to be elitist as I noted earlier an AoE 4 player made a thread calling for the replacement of AoE 2 with AoE 4 not vice versa.

3 Likes

No, there is another title that says “AoE4 is less interesting than AoE2 because its units lack coolness and personality”.

I find it curious that, with all the time you’ve been on the forum, you don’t see that, especially since launch, the hate on AoE4 was brutal.

Obviously now AoE4 is not capable of reaching AoE2 in numbers and, as long as it does not give it equal competition, there will be no problem and that hate of yesteryear will not return.

2 Likes

imagen

1 Like

Well, that’s a totally false statement.

Each civ has AT LEAST two units with unique stats. Like Historical TW. Let me name just a few:

With HRE Meinwerk, both cavs are now different. Spears have always been different with chain upgrade. MAA (duh)

English: cav and MAA are different. Trebs also.

French: Knights and arbaletrier.

Rus: Their entire stable units and steltzy. And siege.

So, yeah. Each civ changes up the unit stats drastically. That’s nondifferent from historical TW. Calling a unit “Hoplite” and “Triarii” doesn’t mean much. They’re just spearmen with different stats.

1 Like

All I’m saying is the other age games when released had there time with the most support and now it should be aoe4 time for a few years. This part of the forum is about making aoe4 better. Everyone’s got ideas and is missing a lot of content compared to aoe2 and 3.

1 Like
  1. The childish one is the one who went strsight for ad hominem attack.

2. Just think like a market analyst for a bit. And think like a guy who’s actually passionate about the franchise. Again, AoE2 is staying afloat by older gamers. There are no new and younger ones. If AoE4 fails to overtake AoE2 and become THE AoE, and attract a younger gemeration of players, there is NO FUTURE for the franchise. Why? Because the ones playing AoE2 now will stop playing when life catches up further.

AoE3 already tarnished the franchise’s future viability. How bad? They had to market AoE4 like it’s AoE 2.5, hoping to bank on nostalgia of older gamers.

Have you played AoE2 lately? I used to get matched with a ton of people with Xbox logo on when it came out on Xbox. They’re presumably younger players. Now, I see none. Younger players don’t stick around.

So yeah. I hope AoE4 replaces AoE2 and that AoE 2 has fewer players within the next few years. Brood War had to basically die for LotV to be THE Starcraft. Same with AoE2. It needs to be lower than AoE4

1 Like