I want to remind the devs and Microsoft

As long as there is enough gold, I don’t see Romans having mayor issues. I say this after finishing The rise of Rome campaign (don’t know about multiplayer/custom games in single player, as I have not played -much- with them besides the campaign.

1 Like

The problems are strategic in nature. I have listed the biggest ones. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Romans can defend themselves with helepolises

2 Likes

If you manage to develop them in time and build appropriate quantities, you have a good chance.

1 Like

Choson will also need to be nerfed because they tend to already have useful infantry.

1 Like

Now here’s some ideas for civ changes and other kinds of changes that should be made:
[Units]
• Chariot and Scythe Chariot each lose 1 attack point.
• Cavalry unit costs 60F and 75G to create instead of 70F and 80G.
• Horse Archer costs 50F and 60G to create instead of 50F and 70G.
• Ballista and Helepolis reload time slightly increased and lose 5 attack points.
[Technology]
• Fanaticism is no longer required in order to be able to research Legion.
[Civilizations]
• Assyrians receive Improved Bowman and Composite Bowman; Lose access to Ballista Tower.
• Choson lose Irrigation.
• Hittites receive Zealotry and Medicine; Lose access to the Armored Elephant.
• Minoans receive access to Heavy Cavalry (Cataphract is still disabled); Lose access to Nobility and Camel Rider.
• Palmyrans receive Mysticism.
• Romans receive Irrigation, Heavy Cavalry, and Cataphract; Lose access to the Chariot unit.
• Shang receive Alchemy.
• Yamato receive the Broad Swordsman, Long Swordsman, Legion, Mysticism, and Catapult; Lose access to the Cataphract.
• Trireme enabled for the Shang.
• Catapult Trireme enabled for the Assyrians, Carthaginians, Palmyrans, Shang and Sumerians; Out of those civs mentioned, only the Assyrians and Palmyrans receive the Juggernaught.
• Fire Galley enabled for the Persians, Romans, and Yamato.

2 Likes

I am not going to comment everything, but I will point out Assyrians were known for sieging cities in history and had some unique equiptment so nerfing their siege doesn’t make any sense.

3 Likes

Looks like I’m changing my mind which is that I no longer call for the nerfing of the siege weapons of the Assyrians.

1 Like

Now another thing that should happen in the future is that the Temple of Heaven wonder should be replaced with a wonder that is a Chinese building from antiquity because the Temple of Heaven didn’t exist during the timeframe of AoE1 and civs should definitely get unique wonders instead of using the same wonder as another civ of the same architecture.

5 Likes

Close to a whole year without a single update:

4 Likes

Did not they say, that the update will come once a year for this game, so we still have a chance for that to happen. So we may pray and hope for that to trully happen.

3 Likes

:cry:

3 Likes

Where did they say that?

2 Likes

IIRC, they haven’t. It might just be a Mandela effect case applied to @TwopennyDread07.

2 Likes

So you are saying that its all over for this game and that we should give up requesting more?

1 Like

He didnt say that we should give up at all.
He just said we dont have an specific date or lapse for an upcoming update.

1 Like

I miss this game. Looking for an excuse to play it again. They could give achievements to us even without new content

2 Likes

I love AoE1, but it’s hard to blame them for not wasting resources on future development of that game.
1DE release was quite messy, but they’ve straighten things up pretty well IMHO. All things considered.

Same with 2DE and 3DE, but in those cases players and interest are there, and support for these two has been amazing.

Ancient world is my favorite setting, not matter if that’s AoE1 in RTS genre, or Titan Quest in hns arpg. But AoE1 is super archaic, and I’m speaking as someone that spend probably few few weeks, replaying the same ~2-3 mission ins a game demo back in 1997.
AoE Trial

There is no point or clear path for its growth. Spending any money is just burning it. It would be much better to pray for this setting is a focus in AoE V (I don’t think there’s space or publisher will to do a hypothetical V AND AoE1 remake-sequel).

For a quick fix there’s always good old 0.A.D.
0 A.D. | A free, open-source game of ancient warfare (play0ad.com)

I know 1DE was cheap to make, relatively speaking, but I’m still surprised they went for it and I’m happy hopw it turned out despite all bumps on the road.

2 Likes

But I think somebody said last year, that the update will come once a year. Well I could be mistaken.

1 Like

Not many games (not limited to RTS) cover bronze age Egypt and Mesopotamia…that’s quite sad. Even games that are set in antiquity mostly directly jump to the Greco-Roman period (like 0AD). AOE1 is the peculiar one that has greater emphasis on the “earlier” part of antiquity. I’d really like to see a rebooted AOE game on the same setting.

4 Likes