Idea for Franks changes

What if Bearded Axe was removed and automatically rolled into the Elite upgrade, kinda like Mahouts with the Persians? I then thought that it could be replaced with a new unique tech, Chateau, which reduces the cost of Castles by 30%, thus removing that bonus and replacing it with a stronger tech that requires initial investment. It should make the Frankish Castle drop much less oppressive, while preserving its identity of cheap Castles.

1 Like

It is pretty similar to slavs castle age UT. But I agree with you that bearded axe or any UT that only affects UU it is pretty lame…

7 Likes

Yes, of course, but keep in mind that the Franks are the OG cheap Castle civ, so if anything, the Slavs are copying them. If necessary, we can always replace Detinets, since I don’t really see Slav players using it anyway.

I’m 100% on board.

However,

I don’t like this. I have some fancy 2nd UU idea for Franks that will replace their Knight line. Will post it here if I finalize it.

2 Likes

What don’t you like about it?

Not a good idea. Cavaliers and Paladins are definitively French. If anyone should have that unit, it should be them.

Same as above comment. OG civ, OG bonus. No need to copy-pasta of Slavs.

Not necessarily. The root of the word is French word “Chevalier” which is basically French word for “Knight”. But in English there is also different meaning -

Screenshot 2024-04-23 012701

Correct me, if I’m wrong on this.

Anyway, Paladin is not moving. Now I need to think about Cavalier.

Edit: Previously I asked for “Arbalétrier” as an UT that gives archer line +4 MA and Franks get Arbalester. Inspiration was obviously Arbalétrier and Gambesons from AoE_IV. People pointed out how dumb it is to give a civ without Bracer and TR. And I realized, it was indeed a dumb suggestion.

It is used a lot in long team games actually

1 Like

I thought in something for the archer line too… maybe a good boost for arbalest, but remove HC for tech tree?

1 Like
  • Berry bonus is removed.
  • Cavalry hp bonus increased from 20% to 25%.

That’d be a great balance change. They won’t be able to do too many castles without getting the upgrade first. And axemen might become a bit more useful than now but I feel like apart from the range, axemen might need some more changes to become a viable alternative.

Berry bonus getting removed is ok but cavalry hp bonus at the very least should get staggered. 15% feudal, 20% castle, 25% imp. 56 hp scouts will force an extra hit from spear, 3 extra hits from other scouts which is quite a lot.

But franks before berry bonus was just meh.

1 Like

They weren’t meh. It was a different time, insane generations of Arabia, more civ imbalance, lag, keyboard input delays etc. All of those are gone now - lag, tower rush, house cost, Hun CA discount to name a few.
Right now a few other civs like Chinese, Mongols might produce that effect again but those civs should also get nerfed in parallel.

1 Like

That will change their identity. I don’t want them to have any archer related bonus, nor even decent archer line.

1 Like