Idea for Italians

Ok, that is correct. However I dont see the value behind like adding Bulgarians as a split of Slavs who they covered before. The differences are minimal and in the end it is a civ, with an Infantry and Cavalry focus, bad archers, no gunpowder, but good siege.

Or Sicilians. Yes, they are very different compared to Italians, but they pretty pretty similiar to Teutons who reigned of Sicily for a long time, most notably with Frederick II being both Holy Roman Emperor and King of Sicily. Crusader civ with farming bonus, resistance to conversion, infantry and cavalry focus.

1 Like

Eagles are annoying to play against haha might be the reason, but im not against more meso civs being added

Obviously It’s not a priority, but It’s something It could happen down the road, in addition to other splits like saracens or slavs

In the meantime, i would still like a bit of a buff/rework for Italians to make them decent on non-water maps. Like a Nerf on water for a more generalist buff

And genoese and condos adjustements

1 Like
  • Remove the uni discount
  • lock the dock discount behind imp
  • give them free ballistics after building a university

Just throwing out ideas, but with the new archer nerf it doesn’t seem that OP

I think Italians are pretty fine at the moment. They have such a convenient xbow play and an amazing late game. They might be mediocre on Arabia but are great on hybrid and closed maps.

1 Like

They had a convenient archer play if the actual pup will pass

1 Like

Yes because increasing the cost of xbow by 50 50 is such a huge nerf

3 Likes

Well, that 100 res are 2 thirds of what Italians saves when aging up, on a civ that isn’t already shining much on arabia, so it’s not a reasoning without any sense.

And by the way I don’t think that it’ll a problem just for the Italians, but for also civs like portoghese or koreans that heavy rely on the xbow power-spike to play on any map that isn’t islands or arena. I just randomly came across this topic and I suggested the first thing that came to mind

But I’ll guess we’ll see

1 Like

About to say the same. I guess Italians age discount needs to buff to 20% and fishing ship discount can be removed.

I believe this may be a good timing to implement your idea. 33% discount includes Archery range techs (including upgrades). But for portuguese and koreans, they arent really designed as archer civs.

Dock discount After imp seem useless when most water fights are decided in feudal
 That would kill the civ in the water department

What i would do:

• uni tech and dock discount lowered to 25%

• Age up discount upped to 20%

• archers and genoese have +1 MA per age starting in feudal, or just flat +1 and that’s It, but then geno elite has MA increase to 2, or +1 per Age starting in Castle like britons range bonus

• genoese elite upgrade is made much cheaper

• condos deal 2 bonus damage to Eagles, and maybe a generic buff like +1 attack or PA

• silk Road made a bit cheaper and affects all team members

Lol
 this wouldn’t change anything on feudal, since there are no dock techs in feudal age.

Italy water on feudal came from the fishing ships and age up discounts. This is a nerf on castle age, but if you look at the total sum of resources saved in castle age, you see that it’s almost the same, you just get them a little bit slower, but the biggest power spike come in imp, with shipwright, which wouldn’t change.

But on the other sides you would have ballistics sooner to win galley fights.

Meh
 in castle age they would end up paying 201 resources
 so 1 resource more than before and still 99 resources less than other civs. This would increase the Italians power spike after aging up, but it would never came to pass I fear, especially not with all ranges techs

The fishing ships discount is what keeps them viable in hybrid maps, you would end up just increasing their early game by +25 food instead of one or two more fishing ships in the dark age.

Koreans literally have 2 archer bonuses, and portos still heavily rely on the xbow powers pike to compensate for the lack of eco bonus. You could maybe add other civs too, like malay who aren’t that great on arabia and heavily rely on xbows play.

I dunno iirc there Is no other discount bonus that applies only in Imperial age. Others tech bonuses applies from the get go, and that separation sounds overcomplicated to me, and their tech discount i think It’s cool to represent italians and in giving them a powerspike on water. It just need to be lowered a bit, to free space for a Land buff, and i personally would prefere a direct buff to archers that also could help in feudal, where italians struggle the most (hence the +1 MA archer and Age up discount increases a bit)

Well that’s true. Then age up 15% → 20%, Dock and Uni 33% → 25%. Also lower Elite GC cost and Condo +2 attack vs eagle.

And Japanese, Vikings (doesn’t need buff), Dravidians, Bohemians and even Saracens.