Idea for river maps

Hi Devs,

Just an idea for river maps. Right now many people are dodging river maps (well, any map with water in general) and it’s mainly due to fish being too strong and getting water back is almost impossible.

How about just straight up deleting fish in the river? River can still be used as strategic use. Walling will be easy but strategic plays such as transport ships and well placed attack ships will become important. Fighting water is still important but not in regards to food. Won’t have to do silly dark age battles with scouts/vills to fight for docks etc…

Just a suggestion.

There are not many sheep in the archipelago, Mongolia cannot farm, fish is very important to Mongolia :smiling_face_with_tear: :smiling_face_with_tear: :smiling_face_with_tear:

I personally think people are overreacting about the water advantage. I can still easily win hybrid maps if I loose the water to french or something, sure it’s annoying if you’ve invested a lot into your own fishing ships and can’t defend against french hulks (try stone towers behind your docks)

Not talking about island maps. Talking about river maps = Confluences and Mongolian Heights

In the river map, the dark age can solve this problem only if one of his teammates is Delhi Sultan, or surround a wooden fence with a sentry tower

Not sure what ELO you are, but around 1500~1600 and above, the disadvantage is HUGE. It’s only overrated in low ELO range

I think the high income brought by eating fish is directly proportional to the high risk.

1 Like

rivers don’t have deep water, that’s what’s strong, only seas have it, let it be clear to you, deer hunting is better than rivers, learn from the game before judging

I’m around 1k ELO for all team games I don’t play 1v1 rly

While this may be true the vast majority of players don’t reach that level, and even then both players have access to fishing it’s not like any one civ have special access to fishing. Sure the rus get a nice bonus so that they don’t have to return to a dock but if you’ve already lost your dock they’ll likely hunt down your ships.

Idk I feel like fishing gives you a good return on investment and doesn’t feel any different from fishing in previous age games

In “above average” ELO, fish is vital. When I played placement games, I see many new players just not going for it thinking the risk is too high. Had someone say “I have enough sheep”. What you gotta understand is that it’s basically a second TC right from the beginning. If you don’t understand why fishing is important, it’s very difficult to get close to the average level player. If you can just get 1 attack ship out in feudal, you are pretty safe.

Also, balance should be around high level players and I don’t think I need to explain this part much. At least “above average”.

Omg the amount of people who have no idea… this will be my last reply your comment gave me the final blow lol

Hunting may be faster, but what you gotta realise is if you go fish, you can make ships AND vills at the same time. It’s basically a second TC. So if you put your vills on wood and make ships, you are getting more wood and more food (more food because it’s quite difficult to go for hunt earlier than fishing). “Learn from the game before judging”… okay… omg just facepalm lol

1 Like

One cannot underappreciate the two-fold advantage of getting yourself onto the water as soon as possible in this game without causing great harm to themselves in what could have been otherwise advantageous situations for them.

Fishing goes in the same vein as walling and scouting in this game; each of these can raise your ELO by some points when added into your gameplay at some reasonably optimal level. Maintaining the use of each when applicable should, by their own merit, raise you to around 1200 ELO, given you were already gaining skills in the other fields of gameplay.

I myself stand as an example; when I first started, I could hardly do well against thoes above 1000 ELO, however, with the implementation of those three things, along with my already improving use of Delhi, I was able to achieve around 1200 ELO skill without great effort.

I don’t know what you mean by low elo. Only 500 people in the world own more than 1500elo :smiling_face_with_tear: :smiling_face_with_tear: :smiling_face_with_tear: :smiling_face_with_tear: :smiling_face_with_tear:In 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, there are only 200~300 elo above 1500 :smiling_face_with_tear: :smiling_face_with_tear:

I think one good change could be to only allow fishing boats to gather from deep water fish and leave shoreline fish to villagers only.

Maybe he doesn’t think those below 1500 have the right to speak