Idea to add new icons to the UI indicating armor classes

The Advanced UI is good, but not detailed enough, I feel. Information about armor classes is not visible, meaning it can catch players completely off-guard. Adding icons to indicate a unit’s armor classes and what bonus damage it deals can be helpful for smart engagements.

I created this little image to give some ideas. I’m not labeling the classes as a test; if you can understand what armor class it is, then it is doing its job and is sufficiently readable.

10 Likes

Excellent! I think.you forgot Cavalry though. And what armor class King supposed to mean?

1 Like

The UI may get too overloaded if it’s displayed at all time, so maybe if it’s only displayed when hovering the mouse over the attack & armour stat ?

5 Likes

This is a cool idea, although I wonder about readability - there’s certainly room for it on the interface, but in some cases this is going to be a flood of info and I wonder how helpful it would actually be. Like Ballista eles have 10 attack and 7 armor classes, and it’s probably easy to miss something important if there are 15 different icons within the unit selection box itself. There are also other armor classes that might be useful to know, like buildings, stone defense, and castles. I guess I’d have to see it laid out on a unit to be fully on board, but it couldn’t hurt to try.

The King has the Hero armor class, which IIRC only the Ninja editor unit has a bonus against.

3 Likes

That’s what the Stable icon is for.

Actually, I forgot an icon for buildings…

That’s the Hero class - it only applies to the Ninja.

Good idea - it displays the necessary information, but cuts down on the clutter.

Another thing needed is a filtering. IIRC most units have 999 armour on most armour classes to be unaffected by corresponding bonus damage (so that bonus - armour = negative so not added), and 0 on most attack classes that they do not have. Needless to say, these need not being displayed.

I see. I got confused with CA icon. Could there be something else for CA? Like a stable and range mix?

There are 5
Buildings
Standard Buildings
Stone Defense
Castle
Walls and Gates

I changed some of the icons.

I think using small but full body picture of an unit as the armor class icon will cause a bit readability issue. Probably it just me, but as you see I was confused with CA unit. So I changed it with a merged picture of Archery Range+Stable picture. Similarly I changed all the unit icons with their upgrade icons when it is possible. Left skirmisher and Camel as they are because I think they are fine. Also Camel rider upgrade icons are not too clear and in UI when it will be smaller, won’t be readable. Lastly, I changed cavalry icon from stable to a horse picture (LC upgrade) as some players may get confused that Camel is not a cavalry despite trained from Stable.

I think icons need to be even more symbolic than that, be recognisable at the size of the regular stats icons. Yes some basics like a bow + horse head for horse archers is right way to do it.

Like how it’s done in CK2
https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Combat#Unit_Statistics

For single unique units, maybe having its civ’s icon + a weapon. Saracen icon + scimitar for the mameluke for example.