If AoM2 was a thing which Civilisations should be in it?

That’s awesome. I really love the idea of training werewolves (they could have a high jump mechanic like anubites, or a life-steal aura that stacks with other werewolves), baba yaga (could auto “blink” when the target is faraway and have bonus damage against villagers), and leshy/svyatibo (could have momentary invisibility for scouting, but lose it when enemy units or buildings are nearby).

These are my edited hypothetical DLCs:

DLC 1:
Aztec
Inca
Slavic (mixed)
Indian

DLC 2:
Babylonian
Native north american (mixed)
Thai
Celtic

2 Likes

No north slavs though?

Well no, northernmost Slavic country is Russia which is considered as eastern Slavs.

Greeks
Egyptians
Norse
Aztecs
Japanese

No need of 10 in my opinion. Since AoM is quite diferent from Age 2 or 3, there is no need to have a lot of civs, with 5 of them and their own unique way of playstyle would be enough. Remember also than each civ has 3 different gods so… with 5 we will be having 15 gods to play with.

1 Like

A lot of these threads seem to boil down to “We don’t like AoM for what it is, we want to make it a different game with a different style and different design philosophy.”

The question “What do you like about AoM that AoE doesn’t have?” gives a different answer for different people.

• The campaign with it’s story
  • The diverse civilisations
  • The mythologic theme
  • The mostly ancient setting
  • The powerful mythological units
  • The god powers that can change the outcome of a game
  • Smaller things like the Settlements, the Trade, Ox carts, relics with unique effects or how Fishing works

Some people want an AoE1/AoEO with a bit of mythology while others want WC3 with mythology instead of fantasy.
Threads like that are interesting to see why people like AoM and how AoM should be different from AoE.
AoM2 could be very similar to AoM like AoE4 is (apparently) very similar to AoE2. But it doesn’t have to be.

AoM was kind of an experiment and it’s debatable if it worked out. It had very strong competition with Warcraft 3 and it’s hard to tell what would have happened if WC3 didn’t exist or was released a year or two later.

A potential AoM2 relies on the success of AoE4. Do people want more like it or do they want AoM2 to be different.

My personal opinion is somewhat in between. AoM2 has a potential to be a lot of different games that I would all love to play.

I would describe the Northern Slavs as the Polabian Slavs, after whom only the Kashubians remained. If the Polabian rulers would decide to baptize, perhaps between the Elbe and the Oder there would be a modern state for the Polabian people. Unfortunately, they were Germanized and erased from the pages of history …

I understand, also known as Polabian Sorbs, but they are also considered as west Slavs.

Yes, but it seems to me that the Lusatian Serbs are much closer to Poles, Silesians and Czechs than Kashubians.

The Polabian Slavs were the smallest of the Slavic groups, but they were diverse and divided into numerous tribes. I will give tribal unions, e.g. Veleti, Obotrites (interestingly, Mecklenburg took the symbol of the bull from them) and Rani (inhabited the island of Rügen).

5:

• Greek
  • Norse/Germanic
  • Egypt/Arabic
  • Aztec/Maya
  • Hindu/Indian

8:
all the above +

• Chinese/asian
  • Babylonian
  • Atlantean

I personally can’t see celtic, japan or inca as a thing even i would like to see them but there would be too many similarities with the other cultures and more or less original myth units are too limited and the dev team already has to be a bit creative here and there - at least in my opinion - to make it a round experience.

Egypt and Arabic are nothing alike, Norse and Germanic are related but not same. Asian is not same as Chinese, even if you thought oriental peoples, Japan is distinct, Khmer is distinct, Korean is distinct and so on…

1 Like

then tell me please how you could let them look more distinct from another and also tell me please all myth units you would add without repeating for each age. i am really curious

Norse is Germanic, it’s a subset.

You are arguing that “Asian” and Chinese is the same?
You can’t get much more generic than “Asian”, that is just like 50% of the cultures and more than 50% of the world population.

2 Likes

Here is Japan:

1 kappa > kappa shoya - frogmen
2 onryo > shiryo - female tortured ghost (ring movies)
3 tengu - birdmen
4 obake - ghosts from objects
5 jorogumo - female spider-men
6 oni > kanabo oni - demons
7 shinigami - something like grim reaper
8 odokuro - giant skeleton

Here is Philippines:
1 sigbin - goat-dog hybrid ghoul
2 busaw > bal-bal - zombie ghoul
3 siyokoy - merefolk demon
4 berberoka - swamp ogre
5 aswang > manananggal - flying torso ghoul
6 tikbalang - undead horse demon
7 batibat - obese female tree demon
8 taawi - undead ogre
9 bungisngis - cyclops ogre
10 gawigawen - 6-head giant with axe

You already have Chinese, and I’m currently working on Khmer (which is more similar to Hindu myths than to Chinese) and Korean, so I will post it later if you still wish so…

1 Like

then tell me how you call cultures like chinese and japanese with their similar racial trait. (?) i am no profound social scientist and in my language asian stand for ppl with said racial traits chinese, koreans, japanese have, indians for example are in fact asians too but not in the meaning of my language and in the general use - at least as far as i experienced it.

so please tell me another general term for said races i mentioned above.

what still want to say is, that even in a AOM2 it would happen that we will play 10+ races and even we would have 10 all should feel unique and with very distinct differences in buildings, armory, gods and myth units. i doubt that this will happen or be garanteed if you make norse and celtic like chinese and japan without making it too complicated.
but i am ofc open for everything if you (general speaking) can tell me units and make more or less illustrative comparisons.

Yes of course, my bad! I thought German, because I have those as well, but it is not spectacular to be honest. Norse is much better.

1 Like

these are some but how would you place them age wise?

also i think many of the japanese creatures are doable ( i like the spidermen, frogman and giant skeleton - this looks unique and very distinct from each other! ghost and birmen tho sounds… not unique enough, also demon can be everything…), but not so much for the philppines. ghoul is a unit which can be everywhere, way too many ogre like creatures (no uniquness like that given), 6 head giant how do you want to implement that without letting it look op or just hilarious?

ooh man you would be mistaken :smiley: they are so cool! Yes most of them have zombie ghoul vibe, but not the Eurocentric point of view, these ghouls are not from graveyards and crypts, but more like from swamps and bogs.
And don’t be fooled with demon and ogre thing, it is just another way of saying spirit or myth creature, they aren’t same if there is ogre in my explanation. I just used quick explanation, so it may seem off.
Give them as quick search on google, I personally like them really.

And if you don’t like 6 headed giant, you wouldn’t like Hindu myth creatures then…

East Asian.
Not that they acutely have a lot of racial traits in common but that’s not the debate here.

Chinese, Korean and Japanese could be very diverse and different but because we have a limited number of Civilisations we should pick 3 that are so close at last geographically.
But I don’t think we should merge them.

I don’t know much about Korea but Japan had a very different culture from China and only later got influenced by China. So if you take the Yamato like in AoE1 there would no Chinese influence there.

During the time where we only have mythological stories from Japan we already have centuries of well documented history from China.

Both cultures also got influenced by Buddhism later. but that’s a different story.

If AoM is supposed to be about Religions first than Buddhism could be one but it spread between so many different cultures from Eastern Europe to South East Asia that it’s impossible to turn that into one Civilisation.

1 Like

Age of Mythology is focused on the ancient age.

I don’t know if it would be possible to make choices within your civilization, for example: choosing the empires / dynasties when it evolves to change your age, to leave your civilization with the look and arsenal of your favorite empire / dynasty.

– Soon the civilizations that I would like to see, in the game + DLC are:

• Hellenic or Greeks (Athens, Sparta, Mycenaean, Macedonian)
  • Minoicos (Minoan & Atlantis)
  • Romans
  • Egyptians (Ancient, Middle and New Egyptian Empire & Ptolemaic Dynasty)
  • Celts (Gauls & Britons)
  • Mesopotamian (Babylon, Assyrian, Sumerian, Akkadian)
  • China
  • Olmec (Mayans & Olmecs, predecessors of the Aztecs)
  • Indians or Hindu (Harapa, Indo-Aryans, Empire of Mágada, Empire Nanda)
1 Like