If Teutonic Knight had same pierce armour as a Huskarl?

Sure, zero information to understand that there just many cases where Huskarls can’t fight off infantry, like BF, Amazon tunnel and even Arena, because they don’t get space to move out.
I’m 100% sure that if TK get your extra PA suggestion, you will 100% here later to argue that TKs need a nerf.

Champion is supposed to be weak against archers as well. Champion die to 14 shots while TK is 25 but 1 TK’s cost (85 f 40 g) is almost equal to 2 champion (90 f 40 g) cost. Champion is also 11% faster than TK which is very important attribute against archer. I am open for TK buff suggestions but saying TK is fine unit isn’t reasonable argument.

1 Like

You just said why it has that cost, they can almost beat 2 champions at the same time :rofl:

Where did I say tk is fine. I just disagree with buffs to the pa

They are supposed to be proficient against melee damage not range. They beat paladin in 1v1 and take nearly double to hits from archers as is. And take 100 hits to kill from all trash units. Bumping it to 3 would mean 34 hits from arbalests

1 Like

Hello all, long time AoE II enthusiast, first time commenting. Been enjoying using the Teutons recently. Personally I think giving TK’s any extra pierce armour (let alone the same as a Huskarl) would be absolutely terrible from a game design perspective.

I would have thought it pretty clear from the design of the TK - and the Teuton tech tree in general - that the Teuton game plan is all about fielding a slow and heavily armoured death ball of infantry and heavy cavalry, backed up with lots of Ironclad siege. Sure TK’s are weak to archers and pierce damage. That’s the whole point. No unit should be viable in all situations. Try mixing TK’s with onager’s and bombard cannon’s, with lots of halbs at the front and heavy cavalry on the flanks and see what happens to your opponent’s archers.

Besides, where the TK lacks pierce armour they make up for it in style points :wink:

2 Likes

TKs are too costly imho.
I can’t find a reason to create TKs honestly.
Teutonic units are already so good with extra armor and good Siege Workshop+monks that other than to destroy an incoming ram to my castle I see no need to use TKs.

2 Likes

I found them useful when the enemy mass pikes to counter my Kts… just a couple of TK wreck pikes for thousands…

1 Like

I’m not saying TK need a buff or not. I just don’t understand your logic, a unit is useless but there are more useless units so none of them should be usefull?

Infantry could be a little better specially in imperial, it would be nice if devs could find a way to make infantry and HC more meta, at least for a few civs other than mesos and malians

This is what I’d like as well.
Infantry, the backbone of medieval armies, is so underused in this game.

If they can catch them! :smiley:

they honestly cant adjust the speed again and neither their pa so i guess the whole intuitive is to use tk as an good option against normal attack units (eagles, Champs beserks i dunno) I Think there a reason they created Husks and tk as a Counterpart to eatchother in Design

well but it seems huskarls got more usefulness tbh

1 Like

If you’re using TK’s to chase units you’re using them wrong! :joy:

Seriously though, I do agree they’re highly situational and in many cases there are better alternatives. I’ve always viewed the TK as the sort of UU which has limited utility but excels in very specific roles, eg:

• at the back of large military engagements protecting siege;
  • mixed in with halbs to ensure good trades against both infantry and cavalry;
  • quick to create castle defenders to stop ram pushes (without needing to tech switch into)
  • defending bottlenecks

The synergy with other units is what makes the TK fun and at times incredibly dangerous. Yes they are expensive, but you don’t need many for them to be effective when used in the right situation.

Adding more pierce armour or further increases to speed (as is often suggested) would only diminish what it is designed to be (i.e. the antithesis to the Huskarl).

2 Likes

this is true of a lot of unique units in the game though. situational in their uses.

Of course :+1: I imagine the game would get boring very quickly were this not the case!

1 Like

One of these two changes would make the Teutonic Knight far more usable:

• Base speed increased to 0.9. That is the minimum speed required to not be forever kited by Archers and to catch villagers with Wheelbarrow which have the same speed as TK with squires atm. With Handcart villagers are faster than TK atm.
  • Cost reduced to 75F 35G or 70F 40G. TK would still be slower, more expensive and have 2 less Pierce Armor than Serjeant while having 6 more attack, 15 more HP and 6 more melee armor. The slow speed would still be a big disadvantage holding them back

And a ton more attack. i mean, castle age TK has more attack then Elite Serjeant. i think 75 food and 40 gold would be a better starting point.

3 Likes

True thats 6 more attack which is huge. 75F 40G would be fine too I guess

1 Like

But can we agree Hand Cannons look cooler?

1 Like

Actually, I think they should increase a little the PA, to +2 for LS, 2HS and CH. They could be an average raiding unit and their bonus vs buildings would be very usefull.

I don’t think it would be broken and it could be added with a cheap tech if someone is worried about how this change could affect a particular faction as malians

2 Likes

They are supposed to be weak to archers. I dont think giving them 3 pierce armor is going to work well. Especially for malians, vikings, and goths. Champions become even more tanky then generic hussars are.
Longswords take 30 shots from crossbows to take down. Malian longswords take 60. Champs take 70.How do you fight that as an archer civ? Yeah huskarls exist but those require a castle investment and you can’t flood those in early castle age. Besides. As goths this seriously steps on the toes of the huskarl.
Besides. After you do that a lot of infantry unique units would instantly become a lot worse.

and then throw on top of that Bulgarians. right now the only weakness of their two handed swordsman fully upgraded is ranged units. they absolutely demolish melee units due to their unique tech. now you’ve taken archers from killing them in 12 shots all the way to 20 shots. that’s 66% more survival against your only real weakness.

1 Like