Inconsistent Monk Behavior

Version: 101.101.47820.0 6624001

The Bug:
The bottom line is that monks sometimes maintain conversion intervals while walking over to a new target and sometimes do not. Details below.

Monks have this weird behavior where they will do the following:

Take a single monk, task the monk to a building and ‘build up’ conversion intervals. You can then task this single monk to a new unit out of range (so the monk must move) and he will perform an ‘instant’ conversion on that previously-out-of-range target. That is to say monks preserve their wololos as they move between targets when tasked as single units.

However if you do this with more than 1 monk it’s apparent that the behavior changes. With two monks, task the monk to a building and ‘build up’ conversion intervals. If you task those monks to convert a unit in their range they will still be able to insta-convert the unit. However if you task them as a pair to a new unit out of range they will no longer be able to perform ‘instant’ conversions. The out of range restriction seems to require moving more than a very short distance (i.e. <0.5 tiles seems to still allow for ‘instant’ conversions).

There’s yet another behavior where if you assign two monks to two different targets they can be assigned as a pair to a new out of range target and will be able to perform ‘instant’ conversion.

There’s yet another behavior where if you assign two monks to the same target and reassign them off the current target to the new target one at a time, they will still be able to perform instant conversions on out of range targets after moving toward them.

Whatever the intended behavior, the second is inconsistent with the other 3.

Reproduction: The bug can be reproduced by following the steps outlined above. I was also able to reproduce it with missionaries, with or without inquisition, on multiple civs (Italians, Spanish, Byz), and using scout-cavalry as the initial target(s) instead of buildings.

Save game: The inconsistent behavior were reproduced in the scenario editor. I would upload a save game copy but .aoe2spgame is not a supported format for upload…

Another bug with monks is that you can’t make them queue for picking up relics and returning them to monastery when the game is paused.

I assume this is because if monks move in pairs, they often need to walk not in a straight line due to formations, and them walking to the formation is like them being tasked to walk somewhere, which cancels the wololo “charge”.