Install on Two Computers?

I am wanting to purchase AoE II DE to be able to play with my son (nostalgia and shared memories!), and to do so, will need to install on two computers so we can play against each other. If I purchase one copy of the game, am I allowed to install it on two different computers in our home so we can play each other, or does it require two separate purchases?

I found out each one can play with seperate Xbox live accounts, even if one is not original buyer but… I had crash issues on both LAN and multiplayer, and I couldn’t find out if it’s due to pure technical problems or license reasons.

I’m wanting to play over LAN with my family too. I would think that if it was a licence problem then the game would give a heads up instead of crashing to desktop. I bought the game specifically for multiplayer so I really hope that this crashing glitch is fixed or at least explained.

I’ve run into the same issue. I bought it on my profile and installed it on multiple computers in our house. I created a separate Xbox live profile for my kids. When we try to play together, it has worked at times, but has quit working over the last month on multi-player and when I try to play at the same as them, it crashes on one or both computers regularly. I miss the old days when we could buy a hard copy, install on all our computers and play to our hearts content.

1 Like

What solution did you come up with? I’m planning to buy AoE 2 DE on Steam and try it with my daughter. Will I have to create a new Steam account for my 6 year-old and buy two copies or did you come up with a solution?

That’s an Age1-forum.

Well, I bought multiple licenses through the Windows Store. We ran into lots of problems, but ultimately, I came across someone who suggested Inbound Rules in Windows Firewall that I hadn’t yet seen. That finally worked. Unfortunately, I can’t remember which ports it was, so I will list all of them for you.

Inbound TCP: 3074, 3478, 5222, 8888
Inbound UDP: 3074, 3478, 4500, 500, 5222, 88, 9999

There might be another port needed, but I think I had that one done on my router directly instead of in Windows Firewall. Problem is, I just had to reset my router today before I saw your email or I would have checked those ports as well. I probably won’t play AoEII for a bit, so I won’t be able to check on this.

Additionally, I have friends who bought the game via Steam, and they have no problems playing AoEII DE on LAN. Likewise, I just bought AoE IV on Steam (two licenses) and haven’t had any issues playing with my kids. Good luck!

Do not bump topics per the forum code of conduct.