Install Original Version in Win10

OMG AOE2 DE looks amazing!! I’ll going to but it… I think…

With the old AOE2 is possible play in multiplayer mode?

For multiplayer with the old AoE II I can only speak for the linux installation: YES!
However, my sons prefer AoE III… but as I am worse in III and superior in II, I suprisingly prefer II :wink:

There are three resolutions in the legacy game:
800x600
1024x768
1280x1024
which can be selected in options in the main menu or within the menu-option within the game.
Maybe, you could also try to adjust your normal windows resolution prior to the game to a 1.333 ratio - but I haven’t tried and I doubt this would help.

Uhm… I’ll check it, thanks!

One more question: Is the Conquerors expansion the most played version? How can I get that patch?

1. On WINDOWS 10, I have no CD drive, so in order to install AOE2 Original, I used AOE2Tools to modify my Steam 2013 HD version of AOE2 into an AOE2 Original version.

2. I got AOE2 (original) to work on Windows 7 with the CDs using the following steps:
    How I got AOE2:The Conquerors (original CD version) to work on Win. 7.
    How I got AOE2:The Conquerors (original CD version) to work on Win. 7. - Age of Kings Heaven Forums

3. It’s worth having the original version of AOE2 if you are really into scenarios for two reasons:
    ------ Some scenarios made with AOE2 (original) only work with AOE2 Original, NOT with AOE2 HD or DE.
    ------ If you have AOE2 Original and want to design scenarios, usually your AOE2 original scenarios can be saved into all other AOE2 formats, but NOT vice verse. You can save one as an original scenario that you made with AOE2 and then play it in AOE2:DE or AOE2:HD, but not vice verse, for example.

2 Likes

Conquerors is the most played version. The patch is number 1.0c
Look at the bottom of this list for the 1.0c patch in your language:
http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/lister.php?search=patch

1 Like

Hello! thanks for the help! I can play with my old AOE 2 and have fun again with it.

I was re learning many things :smiley: and like in real life I’m a Webmaster I have decided to create a website about the game: AOE Wiki, but in Spanish (my native language) because during my search for a solution I did not find any information in this language.

I give you the link to the post where I explain everything I learned here about how to Install AOE2 in Windows 10

2 Likes

¡Muy bien! :+1:
Linux: ¿La alternativa más audaz? :rofl:

Very nice! :+1:
Linux: The most audacious alternative? :rofl:

1 Like

Yes it’s! Because you need to enter in a new world like Linux is… That always scare a little :wink:

Make sure you have directplay installed.
Also found puttig in a folder OTHER than " Program files" or “program Files x86” sometimes helps