Internet Explorer - Why does Xbox Live sign-in prompt an IE pop-up?

I do not use Internet Explorer for web browsing, haven’t used it for years. I didn’t even know it was around anymore as I thought support for it went away long ago. Plus, Win10 uses Microsoft Edge for web browser by default. It is definitely not my default web browser, I can say with certainty; and I didn’t even know it was installed on my PC, to be honest.

So, why, then, do I get a pop-up box asking me if I want Internet Explorer to remember my password as I sign into “Xbox Live” from AoE2:DE?

Seems like a vulnerability / security risk, as Windows Security (Windows Defender?) isn’t set up for it, and maybe not my 3rd party anti-virus software either. Time to try to uninstall it, sure… but who knows if that will break the AoE2:DE login somehow.

Either way, why is it connecting to Internet Explorer here rather than MS Edge or the 3rd party (popular) browser I use by default?

I’ve noticed it before, but just never thought too much about it; and didn’t want to spend time posting about it here before.

4 Likes

Hi! I can confirm that you can not log in in AoE DE if you do not have Internet Explorer. I do not have it and I do not want to so I cannot claim rewards from ingame events. It is sad and bad decision made by devs.

1 Like

It should be changed if for no other reason than because it hasn’t been supported by Microsoft for almost a year. Which, to me, translates to it being a virus vulnerability to your PC.

Does the game auto-switch to a different login app if Internet Explorer (IE) doesn’t exist? (The post directly above indicates that isn’t the case, unfortunately)

----~ :diamonds: :diamonds: :diamonds: ~----

Yep, I asked Bing, “is internet explorer vulnerable” and the predominant results say, “Yes”, with links to some websites:

I know that doesn’t mean 100% it’s risky to still have it on your PC if you never really open it or browse the Internet with it, but I can only go from what past history on outdated apps and such has taught me, where devs often say they are stopping security patch updates, and to upgrade to/use newer versions. I’m pretty sure the mere presence of it on one’s system is likely a risk that could be maliciously exploited. Thanks for finding my thread! Too bad it took a few years to get a reply from someone :slight_smile:

I didn’t want to bring up the vulnerability part a few years ago and raise unnecessary alarm, but I knew it was just a relatively short matter of time before IE stopped being supported. The vulnerability aspect was on my mind because MS Edge had been out a while and seemed to be ‘the future’. Removing support and halting security updates is what has happened to several past Microsoft operating systems/software packages once they’ve been out a long time and are slowly fading away, including some MS Office apps. IE got retired as of June 15, 2022, I think it is okay to re-raise the concern?

Like I said in my OP, I was surprised IE was even installed on my Win10 PC, as I thought it had been gone for years. And am surprised no Win10 OS update/patch has auto-removed it or asked me to remove it since the date in which it was retired. Seems like a vulnerability lying dormant just waiting to be exploited? I shall uninstall it now. (Update: Done.)

If anyone is curious to uninstall it, just know it’s hiding under the “Optional Features” link found in the Add or remove programs area. Don’t ask me why it is called a “feature” :slight_smile: IMPORTANT NOTE: If uninstalling IE happens to break your ability to log into Xbox Live, use AoE2:DE, and/or claim rewards from events (as @ZinStonehead mentions above), or affect any other program on your PC, then my apologies. Uninstall IE at your own risk!

• For me, it’s a low risk since I don’t play AoE2:DE much these days. Probably won’t again until some new stuff other than civs and campaigns comes out, or I get a nostalgic urge to play it. The event rewards were never serious enough for me, so I lost the zeal to do them. (That thread has some nice ideas for event reward variety and other stuff, by the way) So, I don’t know from personal experience if there are or will be any ill effects on AoE’s functionality

1 Like

Exactly. I think exactly the same. .-)

1 Like