Is AoE4 the end for AoE2?

Of course, but AoE2 has many years and DLC, AoE4 is very new and have not been release yet. It will need time to catch up.

Also, sry but I don’t care AoE 2 pros opinions, most likely they would like the game they played for most of the decade, they are very used to it.

1 Like

People who think aoe4 will replace aoe2 are wrong, contrary to popular belief, it’s not aoe2 2. I don’t see any obstacles in playing both games

2 Likes

This is awesome. Let’s see if we can keep the tournments going. Anyway, did they post videos on this? I’d like to see their opinion

It does NOT remain relevant?

Considering that AOE3 didn’t surpass AOE2 in popularity, it would really surprise me if AOE4 did.

AOE 2 will not be dead for next 20 or so years rest assured… as long as modders alive the game will still be alive even after live update is over… not to mention it will take AOE4 10 years to get as much content as AOE2 … 40 civs, lots of map other stuffs

5 Likes

Hard to say. Depends on how awesome AoE4 turns out to be. I am looking forward to AoE4.

1 Like

if AOE4 replaces AOE2 then it will be after several years. All the acquired skills by players during several years make AOE2 that great (millions of strategies and knowledge of each details of the game).

The question is which level of gameplay AOE4 will reach to be competitive.?

2 Likes

I heard someone say that the game will be way more casual. I think it was Daut, but could be other pro-player as well. And that AoE2 woud still be the more competitive one. But that’s only his opinion, I guess. I’m looking forward to see it

1 Like

AoE 4 will definitely not beat AoE 2 - at least for old fans.

I think AoE 4 for old players will be just a curiosity (quite expensive) - they will play a little and come to the conclusion that AoE 2 is simpler and better. Remember that AoE 4 can attract a lot of young fans not only to the AoE series, but to the RTS and strategy genre in general. Perhaps there will be a renaissance for this genre soon.

For old stagers, AoE 2 will be the perfect game (thanks to memories), AoE 4 is the entrance to this beautiful world for future generations of players.

5 Likes

Maybe AoE4 could even attract some people to AoE2 if you think about players who think more of a competitive experience.

AoE2 is very complex and very hard to play anyways, I think that it could even atract people for the challenge.

I am talking about players in general. Certainly, someone who starts their adventure with this series from AoE 4 will want to check out the “classic trilogy”. This way, this series (and even the whole genre) will never die - after all, almost all RTS games are based on AoE (not counting games more focused on the economy like ANNO).

I don’t think it will be the end of AoE II, but it surely has potential to surpass AoE II in competitive scene.

2 Likes

I wonder if there will be any information or leaks about the new DLC for AoE 2 and AoE 3 before the premiere of AoE 4 (unfortunately, AoE 1 is unlikely). There are more than 2.5 months to the premiere of AoE 4 - relatively long time.

I am also curious after how long the first DLC for AoE 4 will come (obvious clarity that it will be). And will there be a temporary break from the development of the previous parts of this series after the premiere of AoE 4.

1 Like

AoE 4 is not and will not be a competition to AoE 3, AoE 4 is competitive to AoE 2 - because of the same period and many duplicate elements (for obvious reasons).

2 Likes

The only chance for AoE 4 to end AoE 2 lifespan is if it’s both similar to AoE 2 in terms of gameplay and superior in many regards. If it’s too distinct, some players will stay AoE 2. If it’s bad, obviously it won’t get a large playerbase to begin with. But even if it’s both similar and much better, it will still take many years for AoE 2 playerbase to dwindle because of habits, mods and nostalgia.

1 Like

bad matchmaking is the end for aoe2

too many dodgers
too many smurfs
almost none of the matches are fair
too many repeat matches against the same exploiting teams
civ balance is non-existent because of position-picking
no ability to play on good maps
no ability to queue for random-civ games

1 Like

Please do not reveal any details from the Age of Empires IV beta in the public forum.

2 Likes

Not really a pro if you can only ever play on one map haha

I seriously doubt aoe 4 will be the end of aoe 2. Age 2 players I don’t think are going to switch