Is it time to jump to 4K from 1080P?

I’ve been using a 27" 1080p monitor for maybe a decade.

Is it finally time to jump to a 4K system? Would probably need to build a new PC / new videocard. And a new monitor of course.

Are you still 1080p or have you made the jump to 4K? Any regrets? Any suggestions?

All comments welcome.

Depends on what refresh rate or features like HDR you’re looking for.
4K monitors with a high refresh rate and HDR are still quite expensive, and there isn’t much choice.

If you want a 4K monitor with the full feature set, I would wait until they get cheaper and the panels are less prone to errors, like dead pixels or backlight bleeding.

2 Likes

This one is not too expensive and suitable for gaming use. Only no G-Sync support.

Also keep in mind this monitor has a normal refresh rate of 60Hz.
And it does not fulfill any of the requirements for actual HDR since its too dark.
The colors also don’t seem very good calibrated and are washed out.

1 Like

Is says it does support HDR, but no refresh rates of 144Hz or 240Hz.

This one is still not 4K but it does 2560 x 1440 at 144Hz (HDMI 2.0, DP). WQHD gaming monitors will become mainstream first of course. But there is a price to pay for that.
https://zowie.benq.com/en-ca/product/monitor/xl/xl2730.html

For playing AOE DE a 60Hz monitor with mid range GPU is more than enough.

This LG is not a bad choice too, it’s price is fair for the value, just a little bit more expensive (but not 4K):

Yes the benq el2870u’s product page says it supports “HDR” but it does not fulfill the https://displayhdr.org/performance-criteria/ for an VESA rated HDR 400(lowest) monitor.
But its still a good deal for a 4K monitor.

The second monitor you linked is also quite good.

Sounds like 2560 x 1440 is the sweet spot these days.

1 Like

@CagierNebula24
That’s correct. You could check your favorite brand for those models and their specs.

@BGdawjaw
Even a 1000 dollar 4K 120Hz model doesn’t comply to that criteria, but that’s especially because the lower GtG times too, so all gaming monitors will suffer from that. If a LED gets more time to burn it will give more light.

1 Like

Yes like, I said 4K+High Refresh + HDR is very rare at the moment. And very expensive.
Like you suggested if @CagierNebula24 wants a monitor with more features a 1440p monitor would be the right choice at the moment. I also only know of one 4K monitor with 144hz and good HDR.