Is it worth going back to this game in 2020?

1. That is a huge screen for PC gaming, lol. That aside, maybe you could leverage this thread to tweak the zoom. Instead of zooming out more, you could probably use it to zoom in more… but it would affect your whole Windows zoom level: PSA: How to zoom out more with an nVidia graphics card

Or maybe you could try playing without the UHD graphics enabled? No idea, but could it, theoretically, look better and/or give zoom levels more appropriate for your preference?

1. SC2 has an approx 11-year leap in game engine and computer tech over AoE2, given AoE2’s September 1999 release date. We’re lucky AoE2:DE looks as good as it does, imo. The main thing I might want now are shadows that are more crisp, like AOC’s were, which should be pretty do-able. I think most any game made in 2011 will look better than most any game originally made in 1999, particularly if the same game engine (a 2-D one, at that) is being used/leveraged 20 years later, as is the case (generally speaking) with AoE2:DE. SC2 used a 3-D engine… which is a lot easier to make ‘crisp and beautiful’ and relevant to today’s graphics expectations, imo

AoE3 and AoE3:DE, technically, have better looking graphics than AoE2:DE… but they’re in a 3D engine. And AoE3 came out in 2005. How does SC2’s graphics compare to AoE3:DE’s?

I’m glad and fortunate I’m of the mindset that gameplay > graphics for the most part, rather than the other way around… so I’m impressed by AoE2:DE’s graphics with how they are and can focus on gameplay more than appearance

2 Likes