Is it worth my money?

I can’t even get the game to play, stuck on permanent syncing, done everything to try fix it, and nothing

The title of the game say definitive edition, so, in my opinion it must be a full remake of the older one with some new features, but it’s not.
Xbox live is total ■■■■, villagers turn to idle and do nothing and it’s not show on the top, the game is still bugged as the beta…the patch 5095 was usless, now the menus freeze for 10 sec.
Campaign is also crap, IA are dumb, even in easy mode it’s umplayable and now the game WONT START.
Well done dev’s you have make a superb work…
The game definitely dont worth 20€ and even less 10€.

@tpojat said:
@Nipasd said:
You should not buy it (yet anyways), becouse whole game is broken.

“whole game is broken” really? some people will allways just cry something stupid

Yeah, for a bunch of people the game doesn’t even start.

I really love the game and I think it is worth the money. They always said that this was a remastered version of the 1997 version. So better graphics and new music. The gameplay is as it was in the 1997 version. If you want a complete different game with good AI, you should wait for AoE 4.

For the people who can’t get the game working. Try checking everything multiple times. Update drivers, check firewall etc. It works for a lot of people, but they don’t have problems and will not come here. So it looks like everyone has problems, but that is not true.

So should you buy it? Yes, just for the nostalgic feeling.

It DEFINITELY is worth your money. :slight_smile:

Fanboys would say : this is the best remastered ever !
And the other would say : no, how can they produce a game like that ?
The game had a beta test during 1 week for what ? I don’t even know …
Delayed to 4 months because is was not ready but it’s still not the case today.
The only thing good is : music, graphics and menus interface.

It depends on what you care about. The graphics are incredibly HD now, although some people would say they lost a touch of charm or clarity here and there they are definitely more realistic and more 2018 now. The pop limit was raised and farms were made walk over to accommodate this as one of the few actual gameplay changes. The civs were rebalanced, not perfectly maybe (bunch of Hittite haters) ((let the flame wars begin)), but the differences have probably become a bit smaller and on top of those things now is the time that you’re going to find an active multiplayer community for the game. If those are the things you want in a game, go buy it.

On the downside the game does still seem to have some bugs and fluidity issues. I haven’t played the game enough yet since the release (yes, I do have it), but this thread alone should give you some idea about the technical issues. Many of these things were bad in the original, mind you, pathfinding for instance was horrible in that game, but that’s hardly a reason not to redo it up to higher standards. If you feel like for this amount of money and disk space you expect an experience without that sort of issues and you weren’t planning to get in on the multiplayer action a lot anyway you can probably do without the title for now.

I love that AOE1 got attention, love love love love love, if anything the issues with the remaster just prove what an amazing feats of game design aoe1 and 2 were at the time. And I for the largest part agree with letting the game be its own thing with its own gameplay, rather than adding things like gates (I was hoping for a farm queue as an exception). But to appeal to me personally a less graphics-first approach focusing on making the experience as smooth and enjoyable as possible first and good looking second would have been even better. (AI for instance is always a big one, you can’t really put too much effort into an enemy AI, as hard as they are to make. Games just get so much more replay value with an enemy just unpredictable enough to be fun but just unskilled enough to get crushed by you most of the time.) Deciding whether you want to get the game means deciding what appeals to you.

Hello,

Thank for the thread I am thinking of buying it also. I prefer single player and at what I saw it doesn’t look good for the moment… ^^
Can I just put some questions myself?

• I saw on a video in YT that now this game has an Idle Villager indicator, is that correct?
  • If a buy it on Windows Store but in 6 months they released it on Steam with the workshop, I’ll need to buy another version or I could transfer the key to Steam?
  • On the original game, I used to make Multiplayer games but playing with only IA… Because with the single game mode, population limit was 50 only, but on multiplayer lobby you had the option have greater population limit. Is it possible also? In the beta, it was not possible to play multiplayer with only IA. Or, the single game has the option now?
  • The IA still make only 2 type of unit and put them all around the map?

Thank you :slight_smile:

Further development of AOE DE does not stop here. It’s not that they called this the definitive edition for just one final release. All expected improvements and bug fixes listed in the forum. Spectating MP games will be added e.g… You can expect them to be not too much in conflict with the traditional game and they changed really a lot compared to the classic mode already. For more we have to wait for AOE II DE release, which is an elaboration of the first version to the max on the same engine. I think AOE III DE will be the most challenging one for the developers, because that one uses a complete different engine. AOE has become a never ending story now, like it should be. And that’s why the price for this version is just a bargain. I can’t wait to see more from the developers coming. My compliments to MS and Forgotten Empires.

@Lirycmex You can find more information about what’s new here:

Great, perfect! Thanks !! :slight_smile:

This is my third comment only to be able to post a new topic. Graphics of menus and all non-game screen areas are tiny, fuzzy and unreadable - going to reboot and try some things otherwise its coming back. I have not seen any similar problems so it might be just my 27" monitor and graphics settings so since don’t see any similar problems it may be worth it.

@Yelnoc19 Through Options -> Settings you can change the In-game UI Scale to you own likings.

Creo que este juego es demasiado caro para la “moto” que nos venden. Nos querían vender una Harley y nos dan una Vespino a precio de Harley, eso sí.

@Nipasd said:

@tpojat said:

@Nipasd said:

“whole game is broken” really? some people will allways just cry something stupid

Either you need to patch or reinstall. It’s not so hard if you use your peanut of a brain.

@Exemplis said:

@Nipasd said:

@tpojat said:

@Nipasd said:

Either you need to patch or reinstall. It’s not so hard if you use your peanut of a brain.

yeah still after many fixing attempts it doesn’t work.

Having never played the original, I am really looking forward to this game. I have momentarily popped into it, and from my brief encounter, it looks fantastic so far. My issues simply have to do with the font size in the on-screen text. I am currently playing on my 65" OLED 4K/HDR TV, and sitting approx. 8-10 feet away, I can not read anything on the screen. So, now I am trying to get my 3 posts in, so I can begin a new thread asking to be able to change the font size of the on-screen text.

@BA0701 Through Options -> Settings you can change the In-game UI Scale to 150%, it makes literally a big difference.

@PCS70 said:
@BA0701 Through Options → Settings you can change the In-game UI Scale to 150%, it makes literally a big difference.

Thank you, very much, PCS70, I will give that a shot now.

Hey Everyone !
Has anyone had any problem downloading Age of Empires: Definitive Edition ? I mean I left the game downloading all night, I woke up this morning and it still not even 3%. Has anyone had the same issue ?
Thank you!