Is the Card feature coming back?

Hey there everyone, I would just like to start a dialogue with people as to whether or not the Card system that AOE3 has, should be implemented?
What changes would you like to see?
How could it be improved?
Different direction with a supply chain system altogether?

2 Likes

Iā€™m answering assuming that AoE IV will be set in a new era (post-AoE III).

-The Card system that AOE3 has, should be implemented? Donā€™t think so. Itā€™s an interesting feature in AoE III, but I think in periods like World War I & II would be kinda strange a system like that. Maybe a similar system of ā€˜ā€˜reinforcement cardsā€™ā€™ would be nice, but it all will depend on what kind of playability will AoE IV haveā€¦

-What changes would you like to see? Massive armies (200-500 pop. limit would be ridiculous), realistic destructive weaponry (AoE III cannonball physics effects were nice, but here we will need even more), and a realistic ships/planes management (ammunition, fuel, movility).

-How could it be improved? Hope stunning realistic 3D-graphics, immersive soundrack, awesome FX (explosions, shooting), and well-adapting all about resources to that new era.

-Different direction with a supply chain system altogether? Maybe, but with some ā€˜ā€˜strategic resource pointsā€™ā€™ to control on the battlefield. Iā€™m thinking about some kind of ā€˜ā€˜oil wellā€™ā€™ or ā€˜ā€˜cargo airbaseā€™ā€™ working just like Ruins in the first AoE, but needing some kind of action in order to control them.

@the_choson_one said:

-The Card system that AOE3 has, should be implemented? Donā€™t think so. Itā€™s an interesting feature in AoE III, but I think in periods like World War I & II would be kinda strange a system like that. Maybe a similar system of ā€˜ā€˜reinforcement cardsā€™ā€™ would be nice, but it all will depend on what kind of playability will AoE IV haveā€¦

-What changes would you like to see? Massive armies (200-500 pop. limit would be ridiculous), realistic destructive weaponry (AoE III cannonball physics effects were nice, but here we will need even more), and a realistic ships/planes management (ammunition, fuel, movility).

-How could it be improved? Hope stunning realistic 3D-graphics, immersive soundrack, awesome FX (explosions, shooting), and well-adapting all about resources to that new era.

-Different direction with a supply chain system altogether? Maybe, but with some ā€˜ā€˜strategic resource pointsā€™ā€™ to control on the battlefield. Iā€™m thinking about some kind of ā€˜ā€˜oil wellā€™ā€™ or ā€˜ā€˜cargo airbaseā€™ā€™ working just like Ruins in the first AoE, but needing some kind of action in order to control them.

This sounds identical to Company of Heroes, another relic game, which is why I believe they should stay as far away from this as possible.

2 Likes

please no cards

3 Likes

@the_choson_one said:

hello, what makes you think that an epoch post AoE 3, should I understand the wars of the world ??? could also be focused on Napoleonic wars and / or Victorian times, which are post-AoE 3 periods but excluding world wars. Then, as someone else has already written, it seems that the game should be like a company of heroes (with new cards, more explosions, etc.). But no, the game is AoE 4.

@doubleXdojo said:

@the_choson_one said:

This sounds identical to Company of Heroes, another relic game, which is why I believe they should stay as far away from this as possible.

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@the_choson_one said:

hello, what makes you think that an epoch post AoE 3, should I understand the wars of the world ??? could also be focused on Napoleonic wars and / or Victorian times, which are post-AoE 3 periods but excluding world wars. Then, as someone else has already written, it seems that the game should be like a company of heroes (with new cards, more explosions, etc.). But no, the game is AoE 4.

Well, I know it sounds like Company of Heroes, even a bit like W40K (another well-known Relic game series), but I think that here, the challenge will be adapting things like strategic points, reinforcement cards (maybe) and massive scale to a brand new kind of playability. I donā€™t want to see an ā€˜ā€˜Age of Heroesā€™ā€™, but there are some features that they can adapt to AoE IV. If you ask me, I think AoE IV can take some details and features of games like Rise of Nations, Company of Heroes or even Cossacks but ONLY IF they want to stay near classical AoE playability.

Of course, I prefer a game as different and innovative as possible, but there are very few examples of Modern Era/World Wars strategy games to take ideas from. Hope they will surprisingly innovate and make a truly masterpiece that deserve to take the name of Age of Empires.

And to the question of why I think AoE IV will be set in post-AoE III times, I think there are some evident clues here:
Age of Empires I (Ancient Times) - Age of Empires II (Medieval Times) - Age of Empires III (Colonial Times) - Age of Empires IV (Modern/Contemporary Times) . It sounds too logic to me, and watching the official announcement trailer, we can see that it shows us images from an ancient greece soldier to the Edo period in Japan (1603ā€”1868). After that, there is a clue from the narrator: ā€˜ā€˜A new age is upon usā€™ā€™. Donā€™t think he only refers to a new Age of Empires series game. A new age after that. Simply.

In addition, Relic is known for its games Company of Heroes, Warhammer 40K (both of them have a firearms-setting playability) and Homeworld (futuristic, with spaceships and lasers and soā€¦ but thatā€™s another story). They have not experience making games set in ancient/medieval times, but there is in World Wars. Itā€™s like some kind of spoiler about AoE IV setting.

And as the last clue: ĀæWhy would Microsoft Games remaster all-three existent Age of Empires if they are going to set AoE IV in the same period as them? It would not make sense, I think.

@the_choson_one said:

@doubleXdojo said:

@the_choson_one said:

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@the_choson_one said:

Well, I know it sounds like Company of Heroes, even a bit like W40K (another well-known Relic game series), but I think that here, the challenge will be adapting things like strategic points, reinforcement cards (maybe) and massive scale to a brand new kind of playability. I donā€™t want to see an ā€˜ā€˜Age of Heroesā€™ā€™, but there are some features that they can adapt to AoE IV. If you ask me, I think AoE IV can take some details and features of games like Rise of Nations, Company of Heroes or even Cossacks but ONLY IF they want to stay near classical AoE playability.

Of course, I prefer a game as different and innovative as possible, but there are very few examples of Modern Era/World Wars strategy games to take ideas from. Hope they will surprisingly innovate and make a truly masterpiece that deserve to take the name of Age of Empires.

And to the question of why I think AoE IV will be set in post-AoE III times, I think there are some evident clues here:
Age of Empires I (Ancient Times) - Age of Empires II (Medieval Times) - Age of Empires III (Colonial Times) - Age of Empires IV (Modern/Contemporary Times) . It sounds too logic to me, and watching the official announcement trailer, we can see that it shows us images from an ancient greece soldier to the Edo period in Japan (1603ā€”1868). After that, there is a clue from the narrator: ā€˜ā€˜A new age is upon usā€™ā€™. Donā€™t think he only refers to a new Age of Empires series game. A new age after that. Simply.

In addition, Relic is known for its games Company of Heroes, Warhammer 40K (both of them have a firearms-setting playability) and Homeworld (futuristic, with spaceships and lasers and soā€¦ but thatā€™s another story). They have not experience making games set in ancient/medieval times, but there is in World Wars. Itā€™s like some kind of spoiler about AoE IV setting.

And as the last clue: ĀæWhy would Microsoft Games remaster all-three existent Age of Empires if they are going to set AoE IV in the same period as them? It would not make sense, I think.

I agree with you that it makes sense to follow the timeline, but in fact the Napoleonic Wars and the Victorian era are following the historical era of AoE3. But do not include World Wars (where you can find in other discussions, how many people would like to see world conflicts as the forthcoming chapter of AoE4).
As for the positive elements that the AoE4 game should look like from other games, Iā€™m a bit annoying. I prefer to follow the backbone of the AoE series, implementing with new features, never seen before in the other chapters. And not a copy-paste feature of other games. The idea of Ć¢ā‚¬ā€¹Ć¢ā‚¬ā€¹the cards was outstanding in AoE3, I would like to see something extraordinary even in AoE4, but not the cards yet!

Please no cards, there are reasons why AOE3 wasnt as good as 2. Cards was one of them.

1 Like

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@the_choson_one said:

@doubleXdojo said:

@the_choson_one said:

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@the_choson_one said:

I agree with you that it makes sense to follow the timeline, but in fact the Napoleonic Wars and the Victorian era are following the historical era of AoE3. But do not include World Wars (where you can find in other discussions, how many people would like to see world conflicts as the forthcoming chapter of AoE4).
As for the positive elements that the AoE4 game should look like from other games, Iā€™m a bit annoying. I prefer to follow the backbone of the AoE series, implementing with new features, never seen before in the other chapters. And not a copy-paste feature of other games. The idea of Ć¢ā‚¬ā€¹Ć¢ā‚¬ā€¹the cards was outstanding in AoE3, I would like to see something extraordinary even in AoE4, but not the cards yet!

Agree. Of course, Napoleonic Wars and the Victorian era should be in AoE IV as well, Āæbut only two epochs? I think after that, WWI and WWII would be obvious. That weaponry evolution would give AoE IV a wonderful, diverse playability.

About cards (or habilities like in Tiberium Wars if you prefer), I think it would be OK only as some kind of ā€˜ā€˜reinforcementsā€™ā€™, ā€˜ā€˜support attacksā€™ā€™ or ā€˜ā€˜aerial suppliesā€™ā€™, not a core feature of the game.

1 Like

The problem with the speculation about a WW1 or WW2 focused game is that the common theme of age of empires is being able to move up to the next age. Typically, ages consist of at least a few hundred years and a decent amount of advancement in technology as seen in past games. The only solution to this, if the game were set in the next era after AoE3, would be for players to upgrade from the WW1 era (whatever age that is) to the WW2 era to the modern era, but with the extremely steep increase in technology over the past 100 years, aging up like this would make no sense because youā€™d be fighting WW1 soldiers against 50 cal snipers and Abram tanks.

As much as I love ā€œancientā€ through to medieval and colonial I would like too see something different. But Iā€™m fearful that seeing something different for difference sake will make or break the game. Am I just being silly?

The card system was great, it allowed for a diverse set of playstyles even if there were multiple team stacking races. We all know about the card system so I wonā€™t try to sell it to you.
But the same can be said for many other games with this ā€œcall for reinforcementsā€ system
Iā€™m a huge fan of the COH franchise and its commander selection and victory point spending on specific tech. A little to simplified for my liking but it works for COH. A new improved version that is race specific is very much welcome IMO.

Where I would like to see aoe make that leap that I and many others have only ever fantasized about, to the modern eraā€¦ will it be taking away from what we know and love which is the rediculous spamming of Aztec archers or the medieval hoard of priests out for vengeance and conversion.

What Iā€™m trying to say is, will we be disappointed if it feels like a space age Sim with zerg like foes, and fusion weaponsā€¦ to destroyā€¦ Space age cultists that hum a familiar hoo loo loo?

1 Like

I enjoyed having the cards in AoE III. I know that doesnā€™t seem to be the popular opinion in this thread but thatā€™s fine with me. I thought they added an extra layer of customization to each civilization. I just looked at them as ā€œresource freeā€ technological upgrades and the civilization specific cards were no different than the civilization specific upgrades that could be researched from castles in AoE II.

I understand why some people had beef with them and if Microsoft / Relic decided to remove that feature from AoE IV or even modify it, it wouldnā€™t be a deal breaker for me.

Please remove the RPG-ish stuff of game (like cards, ranks BS destrying all the human value and matchmaking chance just because of hierarchyā€¦ and inability for human of retaining from hybris.

ESO (ensemble Studio online) world destroyed the AOE 3 selling it out to market trendsā€¦
It was a cool game, they opened to the Dota and **** era back in 2006 with AOE 3 but as a RTS (main objective to reach) was a failure especially while the years passed the Online experience degraded abruptly.

You can ask any experienced AOE 3 player, AOE Xperienced players the patch was also made for these reasons and to rebalance an abandoned bugged game (that saw introduction of War Chief and The asian dynastied made seemingly by totally non coherent not the same studios creating unablance just for the sake of adding content to be payed ā€¦ creating other FUN value distruction as people could play online together using that civ only if the other had the expansion so they pulled people to buy the game actually and anyway buying a bugged game.

This is history.

To people with taste and eye the game will be clearly good or not after a few hours or with a quick glance.
The alarms of nowadays type of games just made to profit and earn with quick cash flow ā€¦ are too clear not to be recognized. Just check Shadow of War, Star Wars Battlefront II ā€¦ and many many more. TOTALLY CRAP.

The card system just created an unfair advantage to those who played the game more often. Many people didnā€™t like them that much. I looked at some of the cards and how better they were compared to other cards. I hope they think twice before adding another card system in place.

1 Like

I donā€™t think that it was an ā€œunfairā€ advantage. An advantage for sure, but thatā€™s why you choose not to play with people outside of your level or at least try not to. The cards were great at creating a difference in particular factions.
For instance, selecting Aztec in the lobby screen most of my friends would choose Spanish to gain a cavalry advantage, but maxing out skull knights in dance-pit and cards would allow you to have the upper hand and beat your opponent.
It kept players on their toes always guessing play styles and strategies. For this reason I would be happy to see a return to the franchise.

Well, I mean if they added a game mode where cards are not allowed, I would be fine with cards being reintegrated.

AOE3 is in many ways the best strategy game of all the aoe games, simply because there are so many strategies and ways to counter your opponent. The other aoe games where just rush+ rock-paper-scissors +APM games compared to that.

But yes i do understand that a lot of players donā€™t like the cards. In my opinion the cards should be more about strategic buffs like ā€œarchers +2 range +10% walking speedā€ and not about ā€œ+700 woodā€ or ā€œ+11 macesā€.

But here are the main points:

• NO GRINDING!!! RTS gamers donā€™t want to be forced to play hours and hours to level something. levelling and grinding are only ok in single player.
  • NO PAY TO WIN STRUCTURES!!!

If they donā€™t add cards they should make a building with like 100 researches in it like in cossacks. And i also like the age up advisor choices.

2 Likes

Personally I think the card system is a nice way to diversify your playstyle. Some might think having ~10 different nations to play as is enough diversity but I would get bored of that quickly. Each nation having 10+ different ā€œbuildsā€ to use makes it way more interesting to me.

Basically, I would like there to at least be some kind of system that allows players to use many different playstyles that isnā€™t limited to just switching nations.

1 Like

No cardsā€¦ putting aside the grinding, they make the game unnecessary complex and tiring.

Some end up with many tens of card decks for each civ, each opponent, each map, each case, each possible variation, each enemyā€™s deckā€¦ and of course if you donā€™t do the same you will end up in disadvantageous position. No thanks!!
Iā€™m here to play not to spend days of studying cards and their combinations. That is lowering the needed skill to win a match.
Let alone that you can assume your enemyā€™s strategy by just checking his card deck, huge spoil.
No cards!

1 Like

Optional please. More realistic.