It is difficult to distinguish Cho-Ko-Nu from Chinese crossbow

Nah I don’t remember the devs really explicitly said whether the unit design is mainly based on “readability”. It is people on the forum who drew such “rules” or “logic” from whatever is presented.
If things appear a little differently they would come up with different rules to justify them.

It’s all from interviews which seems to me you clearly haven’t watched. For example this one explaining why unit details are so low.

He also mentions the reason why weapons are so big before that

15:11

3 Likes

I was planning to express your second article somewhere here but you described it so well that I don’t need to anymore. Definitely agree with the saturated player colour problem.

If the Player colour is blue, almost every part of that player’s unit is blue which looks bad and also harms readability. This problem also exists in some ships. Fishing ship and another ship (I don’t know its name) very very similar almost identical.

3 Likes

Thanks. That’s quite interesting to watch. I believe I missed this.
I do know that the blob of player colors and oversized weapons are/were based on “readability” concept, but did they ever mention anything about the crew? Just out of curiosity.

could be wrong here, but was it maybe the abasid dohw? or however its spelt, their t1 attack ship.

like i could maybe understand the complete saturation in a single colour if we were zoomed out so far we needed those solid colours to pick out units at a macro level (like something like supreme commander) but it makes zero sense with the zoom level and type of game we have… really dont understand that design decision…

“martha from accounting, can you tell which of these is a frank pikeman and which of these is a chinese pikeman?”

“no sam, i cant tell which one is which, because they arent one solid colour, please make them one solid colour so i can tell which player they belong to”