Italians Unique Tech(Silk Road) Change and Bonus Buff

In 1v1 docks or markets aren’t that important, since you don’t trade, you just need one market to exchange resources.

Unless they aren’t just visible, but you remove the fog of war too, basically their market have some LoS that allows you to spy on other activities.

But anyway, it would be a small thing, since all the enemy have to do is delete the market and rebuild it in a location we’re there isn’t much to see…

1 Like

No. That would be awful. The Italians are fine. Not perfect, just fine. Massed Genoese Crossbowmen are great in team games since they kill knights, making powerful cav civs like the Franks cry.

What is with extra armour for Trade Units.
They will be cheaper and it is harder to kill them.

Since it’s an imperial age tech rather than a civ bonus like Vietnamese’ - I would go so far as to allow the market and dock line of sight be entirely visible based on enemy research.

A type of spies, so to speak.

For instance:

Silk Road: Trade units cost reduced by 50% and enemy docks’ and markets’ line of sight becomes visible.

When the enemy has Malay with that double dock LoS bonus. Lol.

1 Like

Yeah but it’s not that important for land.

A market can be deleted and rebuilt in a place when there is little to spy.

Dock might be more trickier, because usually you have a lot of them on islands, and are also your primary military buildings, so in this case I wouldn’t say that it’s OP… but again, do Italians needs any buff on water maps?

I told, in my opinion, it should enable a key on the market that for a price of 500 gold it span a relic. That’s the only effect that should have such bonus.

It would be also a nice little nod to the history of Venice, of when traders smuggle into the city the body of San Marcus, to give prestige to the city.

1 Like

Looking at the recent SOTL video seems that the tech is incredibly bad. It is a UT, while the other trade bonus of spanish and bohemians are free and for all the team.

I definitely think the tech should also have a 1v1 effect.

1 Like

Possibly remove the current effect, but allow trade carts to trade between your own markets and TCs. TCs give half the gold another market would, and trade carts can only drop gold at markets.

The spirit of the law video incorrectly analyzed Italians and Bohemians. It didn’t keep constant the investment rate for making trade carts. The bohemian player was spending resources 3.6x faster than the Italian player to get their trade up and running. And both of these differ from the other civs. Obviously this affects the results massively. It’s a classic error of using static analysis (change one thing, hold everything else constant, analyze) when one should be using dynamic analysis (change one thing, solve for new optimum, analyze).

In an apples to apples comparison the Italian player would be the one putting out trade carts twice as fast. Just for simplicity I’ll use his 80% faster numbers. The 20% difference can represent the extra setup costs of 3 more markets + UT.

If Italians spent the same amount of eco getting their trade up and running the benefit for Italians would be something like 1475 wood, 3250 gold, and -500 food. If a player lost half their trade carts that’s another 1000 wood and 500 gold for a total of 2475 wood, 3750 gold.

This clearly dwarfs everything except long term Spanish trade. It can also stack with spanish trade making early imp trade viable for Italians.

1 Like

If they change it they shouldn’t add another water bonus, they are already very OP in water

That would be the most broken thing ever. Sorry, but no.

I know it would be broken, but it would be something different, to say the least. Also the Feitoria could be changed so that it can be traded with, but either loses or has the effect reduced.

I am all for introducing new things and mechanics, but you can’t introduce such change.

It wouldn’t be about having an unique mechanic, but it’s about introducing an endless and accessible supply of gold in 1v1.

Some games would become infinite, and some other an auto lose for a civ with a bad late game.

By the time you start trading in TGs, usually you have a castle.

Also, you save a ton of wood. SotL didn’t consider that but if you use part of that wood saved you can build double the markets of other civs and even more, basically they have the bohemians TB.

Also, as he said, if you are raided, the hit on your eco is smaller.

If it’s a secondary effect, and if it’s a small one, I agree.

But I don’t think that it’s neither necessary nor a priority for Italians.

Yeah I like your idea of relic generation

Yeah, basically you can buy for 1 time only a relic at the market for the price of 350 gold.

You need at least to be cautious to buy, because it takes about 12 minutes to pay back for itself.

But we also have to consider that italians don’t need much buffs in post imp, and those needed are SE and a +2 for condos vs EW.

If you could buy a relic wont that break the relic victory condition?
Eg. Player gathers all the relic and the timer starts,when its close to being complete italian player buys the relic.

I think that it could be “different kind of relic” (there are some in the editor) so it’s not counted towards relic victory.

1 Like