Italy General Discussion

The villagers are sold when you put them in the lombard (but you can’t take them out) similar to a commandery.

and if the allies put their villagers in the lombardo they would give those resources to me, having a strange synergy in team games. hahaha.

I believe that nobody would do that, a vill is way more valuable than any short coming of resources as it can keep gathering them.

One thing that I would like to see from lombards thought is some sort of “insurances-like” system, as whenever you lose a vill or any kind of unit, a certain amount of resources are invested into your lombards.

2 Likes

I think you are forgetting that there are revolutions, which are much more destructive.

Italy literally has shipments from companies that are very strong, almost equal to a revolution, but they are high cost.
This would allow you to do riskier strategies, I think you are not seeing the big picture.

Italy is not a late civ, its units do not allow it, being able to accelerate its strategies would be the best thing for it.

If for example: With 10 villagers if I can get 3000 resource in 10 minutes, and if I sell them I can do it in half the time, then I will do it. Because I know I have a better chance of winning than waiting for the late game.

If I send the medici finances I’ll have even more than that and still have 10 vills.

With revolutions, I trade eco power for an immediate military power spike, followed by some unique aspects that I wouldn’t get access to in any other way.

By selling my vill instead I’ll trade all the potential resources that they gather for some resources that are yes gathered a bit faster, but that I can’t still immediately convert into military (I still have to train them…).

I don’t think that it’s necessary… you can send the merc companies even without selling vills, maybe you just sending before some lombard cards.

Italy is one of the civs with the best booming potential as you can get tons of vills quickly, selling them seems just pointless…

This is a terrible idea. This is hardly worth a villager and literally no other civ has such a costly method of temporarily improving their economy. Italy needs buffs not nerfs. It’s a terrible civ currently.

2 Likes

Italy is in a difficult situation right now, on the one hand many supremacy players are asking for a nerf to their FI strategy, but also as you mentioned it is by far the worst treaty civ.

2 Likes

I don’t see an issue with them having a strong FI, half the civs in the game have a strong FF civs like spain revolve around it and they also have a strong soldado FI. Italy are weak in age 2 and nothing special in age 3.

4 Likes

I don’t think that Italy is in a OP in supremacy as much as it’s unusable…

Of course if you let Italy boom, train 5 architects and leave it unchecked for 30 minutes you’ll find tons of outposts and a strong FI…

But Italy in supremacy have a slow start, and then lack a factory and/or another eco unit/building (like CdBs, settler wagons, banks…) so you can both rush and outboom them into the late game.

Italy FI gives a strong power spike, but that’s it, a temporary boost given by the resources of the lombards and free settlers.

The 2 new cards are probably aimed towards this to improve age 2 and 3 fights.

2 Likes

I’ll repost some ideas for the Italy civ:

Age Up Politicians:

• II - Logistician: with AP it unlock 2 techs for free instead or a military wagon or it unlocks advanced arsenal techs.
    (instead of shipping an extra arsenal wagon)

• III - Mercenary contractor: instead of unlocking the mounted rifleman in age 4, it now unlocks the swiss pikeman in age 3.
    AP ships 1 royal horseman or 1 swiss pikeman instead of a mounted rifleman.

• IV - Papal guard: unlock the guard and imperial pavisier upgrades instead of making the hand infantry upgrades cheap (not necessary if they get royal guard halberdiers).

Units:

• Pavisier: fire delay and time needed to change stance reduced. Gains the ability called deploy pavese which increases all 3 resistances up to 50% but lock the unit into stand ground for the duration of the buff.

Get a third royal guard, either:

• Halberdier: they can be called arsenalotti/armigeri/targoni/condottieri.
    (this would work well with the already strong italian halb, and with the papal guard politician, as it would be a cheap royal guard upgrade, and no change to the politician would be needed)

New units:

• Scapoli: new outlaw based on the rodelero with a pistol charge attack.
  • Genoese crossbowman: new merc based on the pavisier.

Home City Shipments:

Age I

• Maritime republics: past resources granted buffed to 35% (from 25/35% for past/future resources)

Age II

• Venetian arsenal: the cards also unlocks the advanced arsenal techs in age 3. The arsenal also buff a little bit the factory cannon production.
    NEW
  • Swiss company: ships 3 swiss pikeman and 7 papal guards.
    NEW
  • Flos duellatorum: infantry get -40% training time, hand infantry receive +1 range and unlock halberdiers in age 2.
    (replace the fencing school card)

Age III

• Heavy paveses: it now allow pavisiers to buff a bit the nearby resistance of allied units.
  • Advanced lombards: also reduces the training time of mercs by 10%.

Age IV

• Usury: lombards trickle 1 coin/s similarly to a tavern.
  • Alpini: now also ships 6 mountain troopers.

Overall, the main idea is to make the halberdier better both for the early game and late game, by making them more tanky for the late game (with the guard upgrade) and by unlocking them earlier and giving them more range.

Other changes are to make some politicians and cards more viable.

2 Likes

who saids anything about 30 mins? a standard FI is 10 -12 mins

The Paviser is a Genoese Crossbowman. I think France should have a Crossbowman card replaced with Pavisers to represent the mercenary role in their armies, but making another unit based on the same thing is redundant.

1 Like

Yes yes, that was more of a rant for peoples than sometimes complain on how Italy is OP for being able to get free buildings but then just let them boom like crazy and don’t try to actually counter Italy in the proper way…

And by the way a 12 min FI is possible but hard, adn if you pressure Italy during that time you can possibly kill it or at least gain enough advantage.

Meah that was more of a meme idea for a new merc than a real suggestions and I thought “why not…” but it wasn’t something for the Italians but sometimes that just added some flavor, and could be used by some other civs.

By the way, I thought, what if basilica units would be treated similarly to the natives?

This isn’t a real balance suggestion, but more of a thought experiment.

Like, each basilica would gives a certain amount of pop space for the basilica units, and each basilica would increase the maximum pop. You could out-pop by training the maximum amount and then shipping some other papal units from the HC.

The advantage would be that basilica shipments wouldn’t occupy the shipment queue anymore, so you could potentially have both an HC and a basilica shipment at the time, but you could have overall less of them, as you have a cap on how basilica units you could train.

1 Like

I mean not really, I think above 1200 10mins naked FI is very consistent to do, even with a very unoptimised BO, especially in team games abusing marco polo.

the 12 mins ver kinda assumes you are being pressured tbh

and unlike with other civs you can do the fi while building your eco due to the architect and lombards and vils from techs + ur skirms come out ready as age 4 units and the double age up bonus card giving u tremendous value

and at the higher level people know how to defend so unless you are brits or india its still very potent

so while like 10 mins FI is not uncommon, the italian one has unique advantages

But naked is the key word…

By the 12 minute you can get to industrial, but it’s unlikely that you have either military or a solid eco.

Also, marco polo has been nerfed to the ground, soon with the new patch nobody will use it…

Yeah but in 12 minutes your vills won’t have the time gather that many resources and your architects won’t build that much.

What makes the FI strong are 2 aspects of the civ:

• the possibility to ship almost 4000 resources with a single shipment through lombards
  • having a lot of good artillery shipments available easily (3 falcs politicians + 3 culvs or 2/3 papal) quickly

Those give Italy a power spike, but doesn’t make them unbeatable, as you can go industrial yourself and out-boom them, or rush them.

Don’t get me wrong, Italy FI is strong, but not OP like some people claim (not in this thread) and part of the reasons why the Civ it’s viable in treaty.

1 Like

Italy age up politians give too much value, it is an outlier. The age 4 cards are worth 2000 res of army, it is also not in line with other cjvs

Italy now is the only unviable civ in treaty. Maybe is one of the things that has no doubt in every treaty forum.