Its confirmed - NO MESOAMERICAN / AMERICAN CIVS

[quote=“Mahazona, post:13, topic:133126, full:true”]

Wonder how they went to france or fight in the crusades.
[/quote]

Guys, England are already confirmed it’s not really worth arguing over this, once a civ is added or has come this far along in making it, it’s not just going to be removed.

2 Likes

No one is asking for it to be removed, smart guy.

4 Likes

No one is asking for it to be removed x2

3 Likes

What I’m saying is that complaining about something that is already confirmed doesn’t really get you anywhere, nothing is going to happen, the damage is already done, the same can be said about the idea of an American civ, it’s sad, we aren’t getting one, but what can be done? We just have to wait for expansions to come, I think it’s safe to assume a Native American civ is already on the devs to do list in the future

1 Like

The entire argument that it’s a necessary business decision or gameplay decision to exclude diverse civs is absolute apologetic garbage and should be driven off never to appear again. Age of Empires is a giant brand with deeply intense fans who enjoy games steeped in good history and not Eurocentric mid-century circular nonsense.

Those who build this series should be curious enough to study the history and brave enough to tell the fans who was important.

8 Likes

We say this because we really expected a remarkable diversity and “asymmetry” in the civilizations that were yet to be confirmed, you must understand that some of us were very disappointed to learn today that it will not be the case. It’s like when santa claus doesn’t come, obviously you’ll cry haha

4 Likes

Especially if that civ is part of your country’s culture (I am Mexican)

4 Likes

Im not here making arguments just for this game. I’m here for the next one, too. :smiley:

These are, for the record, the exact same arguments I made here 10 years ago.

5 Likes

True, there is probably a chance for Aztec or Inca in the future dlc
. ( if we get any soon )

1 Like

One day Age of Empires will release a game that includes Native American and African civs at launch rather than regulate them to expansion pack afterthoughts. And that game will not show its biases by making the most white civ the easy generic default civ. And I will praise the game and this franchise that I love. It is going to be fantastic.

9 Likes

Hopefully! We’ll just have to wait and see, it’s pretty likely the first dlc that comes out will have Inca and Aztec, maybe Spain too if they add a third civ

Also would be cool to get a south East Asian civ in an expansion, maybe either Khmer or Vietnamese

Also would be cool to see Malians and Ethiopians eventually

1 Like

If we aren’t allowed to play the Inca, Maya, or Aztecs until we get Spain to “discover” them I am going to lose my gd mind.

The number of age fans who think American history began in 1492 is too damn high.

9 Likes

Sounds like everyone want AOE 4 to have all the civs in age 2 de, nothing wrong with that of course. I still think it is pointless to put Age 4 in medieval time again.

3 Likes

I think the worst part of this all is that they gave us hope it’d be less eurocentric, they were talking to people from the civs they’re adding, they reported they are aware that History changed from the 90’s to the 2020’s, and then they kept the same old formula, the same old mentality, the same old prejudice.
Maybe I’m a fool, but I’m sure we’d have much less xenophobic non-sense in the forum next years if they had taken this first step. You give visibility and people start to revise their wrong views about stuff.

3 Likes

Portugal is probably more interesting in the Middle Ages than Spain IMO, Spain was divided into multiple kingdoms while Portugal was unified, although Spain is likely to be added first simply by popular opinion

3 Likes

$10 for a DLC nowadays, even for an RTS is a steal imo. Plus, Aoe2 didn’t have any Mesoamerican civs at launch and NO ONE complained.

7 Likes

Um, swapping Spain for Portugal wasn’t really what I had in mind.

3 Likes

Yeah I guess your right, Portugal would make more sense for an African expansion historically, adding them with natives wouldn’t really have an ongoing “theme” of the expansion

1 Like

Or they could, you know, just add Africa and the Americas without connecting them to Europe with yet another white civ since they freaking existed with mighty empires at least as long as the white guys were around. :smiley:

6 Likes

The game wouldn’t necessarily flop, but would lose a lot of focus. Just see how, one way or another, you can connect actually present civs between them, historically or culturally, at least between two of them in each case: mongols and chinese, french and english, HRE and Rus, Abassids and Delhi Sultanate… and there can be made even more connections if we talk about Crusades or other major events.

Now, if they include aztecs -for example-, how would they fit in the medieval co-relation puzzle? That’s why thematic DLCs like a Conquest of the New World one with spanish and aztecs are the best way to go imo. Just expand the perspective and the board with some consistency, instead of picking individual civs from here and there only to “represent” a wider handful of cultures without caring about cohesion.

Just be patient. If the game succeeds, more will come, including mesoamerican civs. I’m pretty sure of it.

5 Likes