Japanese Civilisation Concept

Yes, I don’t see it wrong…

Yes, as long as they have barracks,stables and temple I do not see it bad…

Command and Conquer Red Alert Spy flashbacks incoming xd…

Yes, I do not see it wrong, as long as they are good landmarks seems good to me…

Yes,I find it acceptable…and on ships, you can put the Fune (replacing the Junk), the Atakabune (replacing the War Junk) and the Tekkousen (replacing the Baochuan)…

I forgot the wonder.
Maybe make Himeji Castle the wonder and Osaka Castle a Landmark?
Osaka castle was more important historically but Himeji is the nicer and bigger building.

You’re just copying AoE3? Older AoE games have a lot of historical errors and strange decisions.
Also AoE3 is not a medieval game.

Fune is literally just the Japanese word for ship. But that wouldn’t necessarily mean it’s a bad name for the Archer Ship.
Atakebune is a little too modern for the Castle Age Springald Ship, it makes more sense as the Imperial Age Warship.
Tekkousen is an armoured variant of the Atakebune. It could be a unique additional ship like the Ottoman Grand Galley.

That means they would need additional ships for the Springald Ship and Fire Ship roles.

Yes, in fact it comes out in civilization 5…

Yes, although the castle could come out in the last mission of a possible Japanese campaign on the siege of Osaka by Tokugawa…

Copying not…but taking “influence” (considering it’s its direct prequel) if you want xd… Besides, I have nothing else to compare or take as a reference…

Of course, they are just simple ideas not more… I take as a reference the Japanese ships of AoE 3 and adapt them to the types of ships of AoE 4 to see how they would fit in the game…

Need to do a little rethinking of my initial post…
Production Buildings w/ units

Town Center:
Villager (Japanese bonus gives them extra damage vs. cavalry)
Scout

Barracks:
Spearman
No-Dachi Samurai (man at arms replacement with less armor but more damage, can periodically do small AOE, available from Castle Age)
Ninja (can use stealth and does much more damage with stealth first strike, can be upgraded in imperial age for sabotage, available from Castle Age)

Market:
Trader

Archery Range:
Archer (Japanese have access to Early Archer in Dark Age, weaker with no bonus vs light infantry but can be upgraded in feudal age)
Crossbowman (castle age)
Yumi Samurai (Armored archer with higher health, countered by horsemen and crossbowmen, slower rate of fire than archer but longer range and more damage, minor damage bonus against armored targets)
Arquebus (cheaper but weaker hand cannon)

Stables:
Horseman (feudal age)
Lancer (castle age)
Yabusame (armored mounted archer, slower rate of fire and movement than most mounted archers but slightly higher range)

Field Siege:
Battering Ram
Siege Tower

Siege Workshop:
Flaming Arrow (replaces springald, higher gold cost but does small AOE damage around its target)
Mangonel (castle age)
Counterweight Trebuchet (castle age)
Bombard (imperial age)

Monastery:
Sohei (replaces Monk, heals allies and carries relics, has a weak ranged attack and can be upgraded to buff nearby archery range units and Flaming Arrows)

Docks:
Fishing Boat
Transport Ship
Trade Ship
Kobaya (Archer Ship)
Sekibune (Attack Ship)
Bomb Kobaya (incendiary ship, more expensive but higher hp and can switch between self-destruction mode or a short ranged AOE attack mode)
Akatabune (Warship)

Yes, it can be…half generic units and half unique units…

Some of their generic units can be enhanced by specific techs as well:

• Nagae yari(長柄槍) for spearmen to boost their attack range, anti-cavalry and anti-armour attacks
  • Ichiryo gusoku(一領具足) for spearmen to boost their HP, both melee and ranged armour
  • Taketaba(竹束) grant arquebusiers ability of placing bundles of bamboo sticks to block missiles for specified period, similar to pavise for French arbaletriers
  • Hayagou(早合) for arquebusiers to reduce their rate of fire by 50%
  • Horo(母衣) for lancers to bring them extra ranged armour

Was actually thinking of changing Sabotage into a Technology that greatly increases the Ninja’s torch damage.

That sounds pretty boring and potentially a balance issue.
Having a bunch of guys appear out of nowhere an quickly brown down your buildings is not fun.
Or if it’s not strong enough it becomes a useless unit.

Why not make it a special ability instead?

We got the first screenshot of what looks like Japanese in AoE4!

A few observations:

• 4x4 tile building to drop off food
  • 2 different Infantry with Naginata and and another one with spears at the same time
  • Archers and Horseman
  • Every house has 1 farm next to it (could just be done for aesthetics)
  • Mining camp looks like a 3x3 building (maybe combined with Blacksmith?)
  • Town Centre, Barracks, Archery Range and Market look like you’d expect

So It seems like they have unique economic buildings instead of military ones.

Some military units might to come in Samurai and Monk versions (that’s why they are two units with Naginata).
Maybe Samurai and Monk units can use different weapons.

We’ll likely hear more very soon.

Fingers crossed that they don’t have the same placeholder chinese stone walls that half the game has.

1 Like

It’s a grain storehouse…

Reconstructed grain storehouse in Toro, Shizuoka.

Granaries are often elevated to protect against rats.
I wonder why it’s so large though.
Maybe a landmark?

I don’t think so, at the bottom of the image you can see landmarks such as the torii gates and a monastery that could be a landmark…

##################################################################################################
Larger version.

If this is an Imperial Age screenshot if could mean it’s a landmark.

Considering that there is only one on the screen and that there is no other normal building besides the Town Centre that is 4x4 size.

I wonder if houses actually function as food drop off buildings, considering that there are no mills anywhere and most houses have a farm next to them. It also seems like it’s somehow limited to 1 farm because no house as 2 farms.

Edit:
Cool it censors the link of a file uploaded to the forum itself.
wow