Japanese Mythology for Age of Mythology II

Ninjas? Samurais? Shoguns? Ronins? Love em or hate em, the Japanese culture is exotic, unique, and brings attention and money. The Japanese mythology is another faction that can surely fill in the much needed Asian role if the Chinese fails.

Here are some mythological units I believe should be considered for AoM II and Retold:

JAPANESE

Amateratsu - Goddess of the Sun

Susanoo - God of Storms and the Seas

Tsukuyomi - God of the Moon

Hachiman - God of War and Archery

Takemikazuchi - God of Swords and Thunder

Ebisu - God of Fishermen and Luck

Japanese Bestiary:

1. Akaname - red colored excrement and grime devouring monsters with long tongues.
  2. Baku - nightmare eating supernatural beings. This unit can be used to remove hexes/curses/evil in game.
  3. Chochin-obake - an extremely large floating lantern with an equally enormous pale and frightening face.
  4. Enenra - yokais shrouded in smoke and darkness.
  5. Gashadokuro - spirits that take the form of giant skeletons. It is said to be created from the ghosts of the people who died in battle and were not buried.
  6. Jorogumo - supernatural spider women who can manipulate other smaller spiders to breath fire and web entanglement.
  7. Kamaitachi - an extremely dangerous yokai that looks like a large weasel but with razor sharp scythes for its limbs. They can cause devilish winds that would cut and slice people.
  8. Kappa - amphibious yokais. They are typically greenish in color (or yellow-blue), and either scaly or slimy skinned, with webbed hands and feet, and a turtle-like carapace on their back. They are physically stronger than a grown man.
  9. Mokumokuren - yokais that appear on walls, floors, mats, and doors as many eyes. They can be used to increase visibility on building structures in game.
  10. Nue - it is described as having the head of a monkey, the limbs of a tiger, the body of a Japanese raccoon dog and the front half of a snake for a tail).
  11. Nuppeppo - hulking mass of flesh that gives a rotting flesh smell. Almost an indistinguishable facial feature.
  12. Nuribotoke - a sinister being that looks grotesque with both eyeballs out of their sockets and hanging down. Its skin is dark like charcoal, long and messy hair, pot bellied, and a fish like appendage hanging down on its back. It also reeks of death.
  13. Nurikabe - an invisible wall-like yokai who can impede and misdirect travelers. They are also tall, to prevent people from climbing over it. These can be used to corner an enemy group strategically in game.
  14. Oni - hulking figures with one or more horns growing out of their heads. Stereotypically, they are conceived of as red, blue, black, yellow, or white-colored, wearing loincloths of tiger pelt, and carrying iron kanabō clubs. A creature instills fear and danger from their grotesque outward appearance to their wild and strange behaviors and dangerous powers.
  15. Onryo - extremely dangerous yokais. Think Sadako from The Ring or Kayako from The Grudge.
  16. Rokurokubi - female yokais with elongated snake-like necks.
  17. Tengu - large, monstrous bird and a wholly anthropomorphized beings, often with a red face or an unusually large or long nose. It can shapeshift at will.
  18. Umibozu - terrifying and gigantic paranormal humanoid yokais who reside in the seas and oceans. Look up this creature. I think it would be awesome to use this unit against other mythical sea creatures and ships.
  19. Wanyudo - It takes form of a burning oxcart wheel bearing the gigantic tormented face of a man.

Titan:

Orochi - It has an eight-forked head and an eight-forked tail; its eyes were red, like the winter-cherry; and on its back firs and cypresses were growing. A monstrosity so powerful that it required one of the strongest gods to slay it.

As always… I would love to see how the Japanese mythological creatures deal with other equally powerful monsters from other myths. How would they react and respond? Hopefully the developers will consider them in the near future.

Should the Japanese Mythology be added in Age of Mythology II?
  • YES! The Japanese mythology is exotic and unique. Gamers who are influenced by anime and its culture will definitely help drive the game’s sales and even many more might stick with it!
  • No. Not interested.

0 voters

1 Like

Although I think the Japanese would make a great addition to the game, let’s just remember that ninjas, samurais, shoguns and ronin are all from feudal japan, wich isn’t in the time frame of the game. Not that I think it’s a problem in itself, because I love scandinavians even though they are totally medieval, and people resquest Aztecs as an official civ so I guess samurais can fit in too!

Yeah man don’t take the game setting too seriously but you came to that conclusion yourself :wink:

I’m fine as long as there are no guns and cannons.

4 Likes

Lol i was talking with my little brother that they maybe should give the chinese civ some gunpowder units😅 he said thats weird because mythology age😂
Atleast the nest of bees would be cool right😅

Yes the Japanese would be fun
The more civs the more fun right😅 atleast if done well😂

1 Like

Ya the nest of bees is fine in my opinion.

1 Like

Yes, maybe for AoM 2 they take a lot of influences from AoE 4, just like AoM takes a lot of influences from AoE 2…

1 Like

Your brother is right, seems to me that some people want to turn age of mythology in some fancy mess à la league of legends or world of warcraft, almost completely removing the ancient, historical vibe of the game, kinda what they did with the horrible chinese expansion in EE adding fire lances and other absurdities.

I think it’s more that people look at it AOM as a fantasy game like warcraft maybe, atleast thats the case for me, never being really mindfull that its THE age of Mythology😅

Your saying the fire lancer is absurd but what about the Fire Siphon of the Atlanteans then?

Some sort of early thermal weapons were used since antiquity, whilst fire lance is simply anachronistic.

1 Like

So here’s a gameplay idea-
Scout- ninja Ranged infantry with a high move speed. Strong versus heroes. Weak to Workers (has a negative damage modifier against them and takes bonus damage from them). Can be mass produced from Japanese forts in age 3.

Maybe it should be the other way around?

Ninjas are good against covert assassinations and those who are defenseless. A direct fight against a unit like a samurai would not work in favor of the ninja.

Having a ranged unit, which is most likely a fast moving glass cannon raiding you in age 1 does not sound fun at any skill level unless said harassment amounts to Tickling which can be brushed off like a mosquito (Remember, the ninja is intended as the Japanese scout).
Also, ninja are stereotyped as assassins who go after High priority targets in universe. While Villagers are that in the context of out universe gameplay, In universe they are considered much less so.

The ninja could be a counter hero unit maybe? Just like in aoe3