Ninjas? Samurais? Shoguns? Ronins? Love em or hate em, the Japanese culture is exotic, unique, and brings attention and money. The Japanese mythology is another faction that can surely fill in the much needed Asian role if the Chinese fails.
Here are some mythological units I believe should be considered for AoM II and Retold:
Amateratsu - Goddess of the Sun
Susanoo - God of Storms and the Seas
Tsukuyomi - God of the Moon
Hachiman - God of War and Archery
Takemikazuchi - God of Swords and Thunder
Ebisu - God of Fishermen and Luck
- Akaname - red colored excrement and grime devouring monsters with long tongues.
- Baku - nightmare eating supernatural beings. This unit can be used to remove hexes/curses/evil in game.
- Chochin-obake - an extremely large floating lantern with an equally enormous pale and frightening face.
- Enenra - yokais shrouded in smoke and darkness.
- Gashadokuro - spirits that take the form of giant skeletons. It is said to be created from the ghosts of the people who died in battle and were not buried.
- Jorogumo - supernatural spider women who can manipulate other smaller spiders to breath fire and web entanglement.
- Kamaitachi - an extremely dangerous yokai that looks like a large weasel but with razor sharp scythes for its limbs. They can cause devilish winds that would cut and slice people.
- Kappa - amphibious yokais. They are typically greenish in color (or yellow-blue), and either scaly or slimy skinned, with webbed hands and feet, and a turtle-like carapace on their back. They are physically stronger than a grown man.
- Mokumokuren - yokais that appear on walls, floors, mats, and doors as many eyes. They can be used to increase visibility on building structures in game.
- Nue - it is described as having the head of a monkey, the limbs of a tiger, the body of a Japanese raccoon dog and the front half of a snake for a tail).
- Nuppeppo - hulking mass of flesh that gives a rotting flesh smell. Almost an indistinguishable facial feature.
- Nuribotoke - a sinister being that looks grotesque with both eyeballs out of their sockets and hanging down. Its skin is dark like charcoal, long and messy hair, pot bellied, and a fish like appendage hanging down on its back. It also reeks of death.
- Nurikabe - an invisible wall-like yokai who can impede and misdirect travelers. They are also tall, to prevent people from climbing over it. These can be used to corner an enemy group strategically in game.
- Oni - hulking figures with one or more horns growing out of their heads. Stereotypically, they are conceived of as red, blue, black, yellow, or white-colored, wearing loincloths of tiger pelt, and carrying iron kanabō clubs. A creature instills fear and danger from their grotesque outward appearance to their wild and strange behaviors and dangerous powers.
- Onryo - extremely dangerous yokais. Think Sadako from The Ring or Kayako from The Grudge.
- Rokurokubi - female yokais with elongated snake-like necks.
- Tengu - large, monstrous bird and a wholly anthropomorphized beings, often with a red face or an unusually large or long nose. It can shapeshift at will.
- Umibozu - terrifying and gigantic paranormal humanoid yokais who reside in the seas and oceans. Look up this creature. I think it would be awesome to use this unit against other mythical sea creatures and ships.
- Wanyudo - It takes form of a burning oxcart wheel bearing the gigantic tormented face of a man.
Orochi - It has an eight-forked head and an eight-forked tail; its eyes were red, like the winter-cherry; and on its back firs and cypresses were growing. A monstrosity so powerful that it required one of the strongest gods to slay it.
As always… I would love to see how the Japanese mythological creatures deal with other equally powerful monsters from other myths. How would they react and respond? Hopefully the developers will consider them in the near future.
- YES! The Japanese mythology is exotic and unique. Gamers who are influenced by anime and its culture will definitely help drive the game’s sales and even many more might stick with it!
- No. Not interested.