Just few words before we see AOMR reveal

AOMR has the potential to become 2nd best after AOE2. But Extended Edition and many gameplay decisions are the reason why it just didn’t do well in competitive scene. So here’s my few things that hopefully retold will do justice.

1. MORE POPULATION. AOM have infamous reputation for having less amount of scale from its predecessor. Hard locking to Settlements and units taking multiple pops made the game very small in scale. I know there are some purists who would like to keep that how it is but honestly I don’t like it. Regardless take these opinion with a bit of grain of salt. What devs could do is:
  • Every human units having 1 pop space like AOE2. Only Mythic Units takes more. Nothing more and nothing less. Even rebalance current pop if possible.
  • Remove Settlement feature and redesign settlement based gameplay.
  • Do that even in remade Campaigns
  1. HIGH QUALITY MYTH UNIT VISUALS: Hope devs nail the visuals. I dont have much faith after AOE3 and AOE4. Visual improvement has been very very small. For human units I can ignore but we cannot forgive for the Mythic Units.

2. Optional: Remove or redesign auto-queue: Original intention of AOM devs at Ensemble was to bridge gap between a pro and a noob in term of eco balance but it played opposite and people indeed hated it. So what AOM could do is give AOE2 like treatment with other helping features like Global Queue and QOL stuffs here and there. QOL should be improved in a way so that game is not automated.

3. Remove Chinese or rework.

4. Campaigns: Campaigns in AOM Extended Edition was nothing more than disappointment and boring. Units felt discount version of Arkantos, Odysseus, Agamemnon. Nothing interested me on the story telling. Campaigns should try to bridge between different civilization like original Arkantos and Kastor campaign. That adventure made what AOM enjoyable to play and Titans gave us a motivation to “save the world from eminent apocalypse” feel. They must make campaign not tooooo short to play. Even making it in such a way that it creates a new lore verse for AOM that can make discussion for years to come. AOM can survive in this way even if they get everything above wrong.

3 Likes

If you already think that AoMR can only be second rank for you at best, maybe you are not the person they should ask how the game should work.
AoMR is not made for AoE2 fans.

5 Likes

No que diz respeito a população, creio que o ideal seria permitir a construção de centros urbanos livremente, como nos outros jogos da franquia, mas isso não sendo possível, para manter o jogo como originalmente feito, eles podem permitir alcançar 200 de pop apenas com casas, e o bloqueio dos centros urbanos em locais específicos iria apenas barrar a produtividade do jogador, que não poderia ter um spam de centros urbanos.

1 Like

I agree here with you.

But I also agree with most of his points.

• population change is important but already discussed heavily

• higher quality myth unit effects/animations etc are more important than ever and the game will benefit from it greatly

• the multiplayer stuff is also kinda important even I am personally not the biggest multiplayer guy I see it’s important role for the games success

Tho Chinese already is confirmed to get reworked to I don’t know why its still in discussion.

And the story… I think he just means the Chinese campaign and yeah it’s not good (even I personally didn’t even finish it ^^)

But if you like AoM and have a heart for it and it’s success you don’t place it already beneath other games. Sounds like you fanboy for AoE which is totally fine but not in AoM threads. This is for ppl who love AoM more than AoE even some of us like AoE too.
Don’t want to be mean or anything but next time think a bit about your wording before you write like this.

1 Like

I played pretty much all Age Of Empires game series even before HD Editions at early 2010s but not on competitive levels. Back in the days I didn’t like much about AOE3 design. Saw AOE1 as an introduction or base plate for future games. AOE2 is where they nailed everything thanks to how sandbox the game it is. Even holds up to the standard today. For AOM, as said campaigns what kept me hooked. Think it had like 26 ish scenarios for the base game and 12 scenarios for Titans expansion. I only cared about custom scenarios. Didn’t cared much about balance and other stuffs. Regardless if I judge it from that way I would rank best to worst like this:

• AOE2
  • AOM
  • AOE1
  • AOE3

I think I still think this way. Didn’t played AOE3DE yet. On threads/comment sections you still see people asking for AOM DE when retold was never even announced. People does want to have a 3rd chance for AOM to shine. It does have the potential to hold up to a standard.

Editor needs to be easier to use.

High quality myth unit visuals?
How about high quality everything?

It’s almost as if you dont want this game to be your #1.

1 Like

The visuals in AoE3 DE are significantly more detailed as seen in this comparison. Ensemble did an amazing job working within hardware constraints on the original game, which does make the visual difference between OG and DE less noticeable at a glance. I’d expect the quality to be more noticeable for AoM given it released earlier then AoE3 and more time has passed between the OG and Retold.

3 Likes

aoe3de is one of the best looking rts games even in 2024. it has some problems (units movement sometimes like on rails, physics kind of weird - ragdolls or the much to light weighting parts of buildings collapsing) but the graphics are beautiful.

hope the maps are not so small like in aoe3de - thats the worst thing next to the card system

1 Like

Yes I agree…

Of course, they will make a lot of balance in that sense…

Forget, AoE 3 DE looks beautiful and AoM Retold will look like this or better…

There will be a lot of rework in that sense, allowing as many options for pros as for casuals… the Chinese will also undergo a lot of rework in all or part of human and mythological units and also powers…

Yes, at most they will rework the Chinese campaign, which is the weakest of all, the other campaigns will be left as always…

Yes, in my case it would be:

1. AoE 3: Because I started with it, it has incredible graphics and it has its own thing that makes it interesting and unique in itself (historical period, cards, units, natives, civs, mechanics and a long etc)…

2. AoEO: At first I criticized it for its cartoon aesthetic, but I have been playing it since 2017 through Celeste and all the content it has is incredible, plus the annual events (summer, Halloween, winter) plus the new civs (Romans and Indians )

3. AoM: Obvious because of all the mythology it has (plus the potential it has with Retold visiting other regions such as America, the Middle East, India and Sub-Saharan Africa, even visiting lost continents such as Mu in Polynesia, Zealandia in New Zealand and Lemuria in the south of India in Sri Lanka)…

4. AoE 2: Because it is a classic and I love its campaigns; I’m not much into multiplayer, but it’s okay… it needs to fill in the gaps of the 6th and 7th centuries (Restauratio Imperii and Arab invasions)

5. AoE 4: Because it is improving a lot and I think it is 2 or 3 expansions away from reaching AoE 2 in quality (it lacks Northern Europe, the Iberian Peninsula/more Africa and America)…

6. AoE 1: I like its historical period more than the Middle Ages, but its gameplay is horrible (at least now it exists as Retun of Rome in AoE 2; I hope they continue to add dlcs to RoR covering the pre-Iron period from 1200 to 600 BCE and the barbarian invasions of the 4th century CE, considering that the 5th century is already in AoE 2)…

Play it, it’s not wasted…now if they launch Poland and Denmark, Europe will already be complete and will have about 16 historical maps (which would serve as new historical battles)…

I endorse…

Of course…AoM will look incredible, let’s also remember that AoM had the EE in 2014 (which would be 10 years since then)…

Most likely they will be larger than 3 DE, but not much more… or at most they come with a super zoom like with 3 DE…

1 Like