Known Issue: File Error 12

Hi,

I’m currently using 37906 Age of Empires 2 DE.
I’m sometimes having this file error 12 issue.
Most of times I don’t get any error messages, game just tries to start, but then logo disappears.
I’m using Asus UX433FA laptop with Intel UHD 620 GPU.
Can you help me?

BR
Janne

Hi Devs,
Certain mission on my PC won’t run, I get the following error
AOE2DE_error

My AOE2 game is installed in F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\AoE2DE

My system - Windows 10 64x
Platform - Steam
Version - 101.101.37906.0 5105673

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit- I have verified integrity multiple times on my game.

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• Build: ######
  • Platform: Steam
  • Operating System: Windows 10
  • Gamertag:

:arrow_forward: ISSUE

Buenas amigos!
Tengo un problema que no sé solucionar. Al arrancar el juego a través de Steam me salta el siguiente mensaje “File error 12”. Alguien me puede ayudar?
Muchas gracias.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE & ATTACHMENTS

I have been trying to play the game since it came out on Game Pass, and tried everything recommended. I reinstalled multiple times, updated my PC, tried running as admin, only to have this error appear everytime. Please help me, I’ve looked online and haven’t seen anyone with a working fix. Did you have this same problem? Have you fixed it? If so, please let me know how. I am willing to try anything. Thanks in advance.

I am trying to play from the Xbox Game Pass Platform, not Steam, if it helps.

Capture1

Is the game updated? For some reason this isnt automatic for xbox live (i play via Steam, so not sure).
Also tried to google the message? I got multiple hit that might be the solution for you.

I did google the message, however i didnt find any solutions, if you can point your results to me id try them, as for the game being updated, I believe it is, because ive reinstalled it multiple times so I think it installs the most recent version, no?

I use Steam for this game, so i have no idea how Xbox Live updating works.

Here you have some of the hits of my search. Maybe it can help you:

I tried what he said (resetting the app), and it didnt work. It just asked for permission to install dependencies like it always does when I reset it, then it gives me the same error. (File Error 12). This is extremely frustrating, id really love to play this game. I’ve thought of buying it on steam to see if I get the same error, but I dont want to waste my money to possibly get the same error. Thanks in advance.

GUYS I FIXED IT!!! (Xbox Game Pass Version)

I don’t know how this fixed the problem, but here it is:

I went to my C:\Users(my name) folder. I noticed a file named “Games”, however, it was only 1kb and I wasn’t able to open it. I assume that this file is supposed to be a folder,
so I delete it, and manually create a new folder and name it “Games”. I attempt to launch the game and it actually worked for once! No File Error 12 or anything!!! I had been attempting to launch it since November with no luck prior to attempting this; I tried everything everyone suggested, and was not successful. After this, the game finally works. I hope it works for you guys as well.

(I don’t know if it was necessary or not, but just so it’s known, I did launch with Administrator privileges. Not sure if that helped at all, though)

Hi,
I purchased the AOE2 definitive edition on steam a couple of hours ago. Now unfortunately I haven’t been able to play the game at all since this error keeps popping up. I’veen been trying to fix the problems, giving all of the accounts on my laptop full control but still nothing works. I’ve read trough the posts relating this topic, yet I can’t seem to find anything relating to the steam version of the game. Can someone help me fix this problem? It’s getting quite annoying at this point.

I have been having issues as well with error 12. I use steam and recently purchased the bundle with aoe 4, 3 and all the dlc for 3 and 2. Been going through the campaigns in two or well trying. And got the error 12 saying I was missing files. On steam I went to properties and local files, from there I did a scan to check the integrity of game files. After that was done I was able to play the campaign I was having issues with.

Like today I got on and wanted to start the grand dukes campaign, finished the little cinematic and the game crashed giving me error 12 and that the game was missing files, I ran the verify integrity of game files, started the game up and now I am playing the grand dukes campaign. Hopefully this helps some people who are having issues and hopefully this gets fixed.

1 Like