Lag (constant stuttering) in Multiplayer

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• Build: 101.101.37906.0 5105673
  • Platform: Steam
  • Operating System: Windows 10
  • Gamertag:

:arrow_forward: ISSUE

From time to time (I estimate roughly half of my multiplayer games) I experience lag.
Next to my score a red clock symbol is displayed.

If this occurs the game stutters for me and all other players in the game. If I press
F11 everything looks “normal” (60 FPS, which is the refresh rate of my monitor) and
L=40. The FPS is very stable, the latency fluctuates between 40 and 50.

My computer is very performant (i7-9700kf, gtx 1060) and I had a ranked benchmark score
of around 1270.

I have a 1Gbit fiber connection, which gives me excellent results on normal speedtest websites, such as speedtest.net

I am able to solve the problem by manually unplugging my ethernet cable and pluging it in again.
After that the lag vanishes, the game is stutter-free and the red clock next to my score turns blue.

I had a look at wireshark at what happened and at the log files in Games/aoe2de/logs and I didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary. I also did some tracert commands to the game servers ip (found with wireshark) which didn’t look special.

Can I supply you with additional information to help you fix that problem?

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

1. Start Multiplayer game (not reliably reproducable)
5 Likes

I’ve been experiencing this quite a lot in my multiplayer games too, around 40-50 mins in, the game starts to get seriously laggy, I thought originally it was because the game couldn’t handle around 600+ units on the map, but even when the end is near or defeated, the game still lags. So much so, it’s very unplayable and have to resort to cheats to ‘finish’ them off quickly. Unfortunately, I’d love to be able to restore my multiplayer game to try and finish it without cheats, but the game crashes for both me and my partner after launching the restored game, making it very unjoyable at the moment! :frowning: :cry: :sob:

1 Like

Same here. So laggy and can’t restore saved multiplayer game - partners are appearing is Britons and game is over automatically…