locked shields


#1

age of empires is very fun don’t get me wrong, but how come there is no formations that use shielded units potential like phalanxes or the iconic Roman turtle formation it’d add a lot of depth to gameplay would it not?


#2

@nate1690 said:
age of empires is very fun don’t get me wrong, but how come there is no formations that use shielded units potential like phalanxes or the iconic Roman turtle formation it’d add a lot of depth to gameplay would it not?

Not in vanilla game, because changes the gameplay.


#3

@Augustusman said:

@nate1690 said:
age of empires is very fun don’t get me wrong, but how come there is no formations that use shielded units potential like phalanxes or the iconic Roman turtle formation it’d add a lot of depth to gameplay would it not?

Not in vanilla game, because changes the gameplay.

not in that way it would make shielded units more viable against say archers and cavalry. spartan phalanxes were nightmares to enemy infantry and if you look at how they formed it, calvary would be shattered by it, the Roman turtle was a nightmare for archers and cavalry. the thing about ancient Greece is in sites of battles you would see one side utterly destroyed because their lines broke while the victor walked away with very few casualties because their lines stayed intact. and there are many ways to defeat this type of formation warfare, for instance, you could take them somewhere where they are forced to stay out of formation like a forest which has been done, or surround them which has also been done, the turtle broke because the men who made it were terrified. as for it affecting gameplay, that’s the point it would give a new challenge to players. as your AI also can use these formations. I like a challenge when I play RTS games because no amount of raging or adrenaline can help you its all your predisposition for strategic and tactical thinking.


#4

@nate1690 said:

@Augustusman said:

@nate1690 said:
age of empires is very fun don’t get me wrong, but how come there is no formations that use shielded units potential like phalanxes or the iconic Roman turtle formation it’d add a lot of depth to gameplay would it not?

Not in vanilla game, because changes the gameplay.

not in that way it would make shielded units more viable against say archers and cavalry. spartan phalanxes were nightmares to enemy infantry and if you look at how they formed it, calvary would be shattered by it, the Roman turtle was a nightmare for archers and cavalry. the thing about ancient Greece is in sites of battles you would see one side utterly destroyed because their lines broke while the victor walked away with very few casualties because their lines stayed intact. and there are many ways to defeat this type of formation warfare, for instance, you could take them somewhere where they are forced to stay out of formation like a forest which has been done, or surround them which has also been done, the turtle broke because the men who made it were terrified. as for it affecting gameplay, that’s the point it would give a new challenge to players. as your AI also can use these formations. I like a challenge when I play RTS games because no amount of raging or adrenaline can help you its all your predisposition for strategic and tactical thinking.

Tortoise isn’t a anti-cavalry formation.
This is anti cavalry but isn’t the tortoise.

Spartan phalanx becomes weaker vs Macedonian “Phalanx” Syntagma .
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b8/49/40/b849401eaca5eaf72b03969b5f035cdc.jpg

The devs no implemented formations because they want keep the feeling of original, I’m not agreeing with this.
Partisans uses more powerful tactics to break this uses Horse cavalry with very unlimited arrows more use of Cataphracts to break roman formation.


#5

@Augustusman said:

@nate1690 said:

@Augustusman said:

@nate1690 said:
age of empires is very fun don’t get me wrong, but how come there is no formations that use shielded units potential like phalanxes or the iconic Roman turtle formation it’d add a lot of depth to gameplay would it not?

Not in vanilla game, because changes the gameplay.

not in that way it would make shielded units more viable against say archers and cavalry. spartan phalanxes were nightmares to enemy infantry and if you look at how they formed it, calvary would be shattered by it, the Roman turtle was a nightmare for archers and cavalry. the thing about ancient Greece is in sites of battles you would see one side utterly destroyed because their lines broke while the victor walked away with very few casualties because their lines stayed intact. and there are many ways to defeat this type of formation warfare, for instance, you could take them somewhere where they are forced to stay out of formation like a forest which has been done, or surround them which has also been done, the turtle broke because the men who made it were terrified. as for it affecting gameplay, that’s the point it would give a new challenge to players. as your AI also can use these formations. I like a challenge when I play RTS games because no amount of raging or adrenaline can help you its all your predisposition for strategic and tactical thinking.

Tortoise isn’t a anti-cavalry formation.
This is anti cavalry but isn’t the tortoise.

Spartan phalanx becomes weaker vs Macedonian “Phalanx” Syntagma .
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b8/49/40/b849401eaca5eaf72b03969b5f035cdc.jpg

The devs no implemented formations because they want keep the feeling of original, I’m not agreeing with this.
Partisans uses more powerful tactics to break this uses Horse cavalry with very unlimited arrows more use of Cataphracts to break roman formation.

its not anti calvary but if you would listen it would work barely by slowing the calvary whilst the archers and roman calvary aided the friendly turtle formation you see as i often point out to people who think so lopsidedly war never goes as planned on contact with the enemy it often falls apart the only people i could foresee the plan staying intact with would be the side who did not try to counter their enemies counter or should i say the losing side. because rome had a very simple formation layout while in battle they had calvary cover their flanks and infantry up in front the calvary defended the archers and the infantry flanks and more infantry cover the flank id pull up pictures but im sure you will when you try to disprove my method


#6

ah here I found a fun roman formation page and fyi I study Greece more than any other military both strategically and mythologically
found at
https://romanmilitary.net/strategy/legform/


#7

The problem is game play decision. They takes gave the game more arcade, more simple possibly than realistic like TW , even AoE2 is more complex.

@nate1690 said:
ah here I found a fun roman formation page and fyi I study Greece more than any other military both strategically and mythologically
found at
https://romanmilitary.net/strategy/legform/


#8

yea knights were my favorite unit in AOE2 and the cannon towers so op BUT, I do like simplicity its nice the least that could be done is a passive buff for shield units that stacks when near other shield units and I’m not saying that it has to be this next game but perhaps the one after it, the majority of my gaming career is RTS gaming while I
have played more fps,MMORPGs, and RPGs i have spent more time on RTS game.not everyone likes simplicity and while there is an art to it, after a while you just thirst for a game you grew up with to get more and more complex, intriguing and downright just leaving you having both learned and feeling even powerful the majority of gamers ive met have a power fantasy they want to satisfy, gamers that play halo,destiny, every mmo the world has ever seen and even yes rts games have a group of gamers that want to feel powerful


#9

The developers of aoe agree with you, which is why aoe2 had formations. Champions automatically walk in front of arbalests in that game, protecting them from cavalry and from enemy archers as long as they aren’t focus firing.

Aoe:de is an attempt to make a good looking smooth running version of aoe1 that does not add too many of this sort of options so it preserves the charm of the original game. If we want aoe2 gameplay we can play aoe2.


#10

@“Pan Calvus” said:
The developers of aoe agree with you, which is why aoe2 had formations. Champions automatically walk in front of arbalests in that game, protecting them from cavalry and from enemy archers as long as they aren’t focus firing.

Aoe:de is an attempt to make a good looking smooth running version of aoe1 that does not add too many of this sort of options so it preserves the charm of the original game. If we want aoe2 gameplay we can play aoe2.

while I can understand that, and I do agree they did a wonderful job recreating a wonderful game but the hoplite is weak without its formation. yes, the hoplite and upgrades of it are a bit tanky they are useless when it comes to facing larger number which is inaccurate all I’m saying is that if you’re going to use a unit that was built around a formation at least let us use the formation. no good game company goes without criticism and ensemble is no exception


#11

@nate1690 said:

@“Pan Calvus” said:
The developers of aoe agree with you, which is why aoe2 had formations. Champions automatically walk in front of arbalests in that game, protecting them from cavalry and from enemy archers as long as they aren’t focus firing.

Aoe:de is an attempt to make a good looking smooth running version of aoe1 that does not add too many of this sort of options so it preserves the charm of the original game. If we want aoe2 gameplay we can play aoe2.

while I can understand that, and I do agree they did a wonderful job recreating a wonderful game but the hoplite is weak without its formation. yes, the hoplite and upgrades of it are a bit tanky they are useless when it comes to facing larger number which is inaccurate all I’m saying is that if you’re going to use a unit that was built around a formation at least let us use the formation. no good game company goes without criticism and ensemble is no exception

Like this?


#12

@Augustusman said:

@nate1690 said:

@“Pan Calvus” said:
The developers of aoe agree with you, which is why aoe2 had formations. Champions automatically walk in front of arbalests in that game, protecting them from cavalry and from enemy archers as long as they aren’t focus firing.

Aoe:de is an attempt to make a good looking smooth running version of aoe1 that does not add too many of this sort of options so it preserves the charm of the original game. If we want aoe2 gameplay we can play aoe2.

while I can understand that, and I do agree they did a wonderful job recreating a wonderful game but the hoplite is weak without its formation. yes, the hoplite and upgrades of it are a bit tanky they are useless when it comes to facing larger number which is inaccurate all I’m saying is that if you’re going to use a unit that was built around a formation at least let us use the formation. no good game company goes without criticism and ensemble is no exception

Like this?

while that is most likely a mod yes that is as close to a phalanx i expect from this type of game. but i would point out something odd about your current formation. the majority of phalanxes are 8 men deep in Greece however they have recorded instances of less or far more for instance marathon Athens used a phalanx 4 men deep with their flanks being covered by phalanxes 8 men deep, Thebes defeated a spartan traditional phalanx(8 men deep) by piling their phalanx 50 men deep on their right side and 8 on their left however i do not expect that much realism in such a game at least not this decade.


#13

@nate1690 said:

@Augustusman said:

@nate1690 said:

@“Pan Calvus” said:
The developers of aoe agree with you, which is why aoe2 had formations. Champions automatically walk in front of arbalests in that game, protecting them from cavalry and from enemy archers as long as they aren’t focus firing.

Aoe:de is an attempt to make a good looking smooth running version of aoe1 that does not add too many of this sort of options so it preserves the charm of the original game. If we want aoe2 gameplay we can play aoe2.

while I can understand that, and I do agree they did a wonderful job recreating a wonderful game but the hoplite is weak without its formation. yes, the hoplite and upgrades of it are a bit tanky they are useless when it comes to facing larger number which is inaccurate all I’m saying is that if you’re going to use a unit that was built around a formation at least let us use the formation. no good game company goes without criticism and ensemble is no exception

Like this?

while that is most likely a mod yes that is as close to a phalanx i expect from this type of game. but i would point out something odd about your current formation. the majority of phalanxes are 8 men deep in Greece however they have recorded instances of less or far more for instance marathon Athens used a phalanx 4 men deep with their flanks being covered by phalanxes 8 men deep, Thebes defeated a spartan traditional phalanx(8 men deep) by piling their phalanx 50 men deep on their right side and 8 on their left however i do not expect that much realism in such a game at least not this decade.

Isn’t a mod. Syntagma or Macedonian phalanx. Isn’t classical phalanx.
I agrrevwith the rest. The game is arcade. Don’t need such thing.


#14

@Augustusman said:

@nate1690 said:

@Augustusman said:

@nate1690 said:

@“Pan Calvus” said:
The developers of aoe agree with you, which is why aoe2 had formations. Champions automatically walk in front of arbalests in that game, protecting them from cavalry and from enemy archers as long as they aren’t focus firing.

Aoe:de is an attempt to make a good looking smooth running version of aoe1 that does not add too many of this sort of options so it preserves the charm of the original game. If we want aoe2 gameplay we can play aoe2.

while I can understand that, and I do agree they did a wonderful job recreating a wonderful game but the hoplite is weak without its formation. yes, the hoplite and upgrades of it are a bit tanky they are useless when it comes to facing larger number which is inaccurate all I’m saying is that if you’re going to use a unit that was built around a formation at least let us use the formation. no good game company goes without criticism and ensemble is no exception

Like this?

while that is most likely a mod yes that is as close to a phalanx i expect from this type of game. but i would point out something odd about your current formation. the majority of phalanxes are 8 men deep in Greece however they have recorded instances of less or far more for instance marathon Athens used a phalanx 4 men deep with their flanks being covered by phalanxes 8 men deep, Thebes defeated a spartan traditional phalanx(8 men deep) by piling their phalanx 50 men deep on their right side and 8 on their left however i do not expect that much realism in such a game at least not this decade.

Isn’t a mod. Syntagma or Macedonian phalanx. Isn’t classical phalanx.
I agrrevwith the rest. The game is arcade. Don’t need such thing.

yes it is a classic but do you not realize the wording i am using? no one here seems to catch that i am implying that their future games could have something like this does no one know what future means? for those of you that dont know that means yet to be tomorrow or thereafter. now if a game has already been released how in god’s name would it be be made in the future? it can be remade but nonetheless i can see everyone here is set in their ways and doesnt give a damn about future improvement of a game developer. i would have assumed everyone would like to see brand new games from this developer and this is a “age of empires” forum i do not see any specific title on it so it would be safe to assume we are to talk about age of empires in a broad manner but nope all we can talk about is their previous games according to you whom have commented already. or am i wrong and you did not see the underlying context of my conversation?


#15

also correct me if im wrong but in that formation you sent a picture of were your hoplite made harder to kill significantly because very few thing in the bronze age could face a phalanx. arrows did very little unless you broke ranks or the opponent fired from above and calvary could only do anything if they got behind the phalanx. but i recall classic AOE formation denying you the buffs of using them


#16

also that is not age of empires that is 0 a.d. a game that is an rts but has absolutely nothing to do with age of empires although it is very similar to age of empires in appearance but as i covered on another forum within this website i mainly play rts games associated with ensemble very few outside their influence catch me eye