[Long list] Balance Suggestions, serious!

The Plumed Archer from the age of the castles cost 40W 40G, thanks to the -20% bonus, that is, they never cost 50W 50G,

@windowsxdchris
But all tech on XD.

@iranleung
The balance make game more unbalance.

Make siege tower goldless, and teutons will be happy

1. Not unfair at all, all infantry UU (except the teutonic knight) are faster compared to swordman and have their unique benefits. The faster movement speed is massive on it’s own and often a reason to choose e.g. berserk over champion. (even though the regeneration is not very practical).

2. I pointed out why most infantry UU used to be strictly better than champs except in creation speed and why you could justify -15F for swordsmanline but absolutely can’t for infantry UU.

Which game results “prove” this?
Many UUs are rarely seen simply because there are 35 civs in the game. If a unit is situational doesn’t mean it’s badly designed (many UU’s aren’t, berserks, woad raider, huskarl, kamayuks, samurai , axe are commonly seen in expert games)
Most infantry UUs can only be mass produced in imperial age with a solid economy which is intended game design.

Who says you have?

Knights are much lower in food cost relative to strength, meaning the 60 food you invest in a knight has much more value than the 60 in a swordsman.

First, that is not true, players tend to transition to infantry UU when they have the food eco for it, not when gold starts running low. Typically a player has only ~25-30 farms when going imp but it requires about ~45-60 to produce from 4 castles non stop (depending on UU)
You see this as a problem, I see it as how the game is designed. I think it’s great game design that unique units are situational in castle age because it makes the game a lot more balanced, and the opponent has a long window of opportunity to stop opponent from getting 4-5 castles and producing one UU non stop.

2 Likes

Well. It’s interesting about the goldless ram and the adjustment to Paper Money, but the others
 I don’t think that they are really helpful to the game, some of them are even breaking the current balance, and the most of them are not reflecting history.

Just state my opinions about slingers. Their historic situation is similar to throwing axemen. Be the regional common units without upgrading (slingers for Americans like Aztecs, Mayan & Incas, Axemen for Germanic barbarians like Franks, Goths, Teutons & maybe Vikings) or at least be the UU of one civ in the castle.

Maybe steppe lancers can be in the same way. I stated in the another topic that they should become an UU of one civ (like Polish) or at least be only available in Cuman and Tatars stable, or just be removed. If they will lose the elite upgrading, I may support that give them to Huns and Mongols.

The only UU of this list that I’m certain will see increased use based on the supplies tech is Jags, although you could make a decent argument for Teutonic Knights. For the other ones, you’re only listing off the strengths they already had pre-DE. I do agree that throwing axes are a little OP (I think kamayuks are very close as well) and are certainly one of the reasons for the Franks crazy win rate, and due to how different their role is to champs, I see supplies as only an extremely minor nerf to them, or none at all. Some of these UUs will lose a little of their comparative punch per cost in a pitched battle but still be viable due to being different to champs. The ones that get hit hardest by the Supplies tech are the ones most similar to champs, especially (as SoTL and others have pointed out) Samurai and Berserks. Honestly, Samurai were already quite uncommon at the pro level, and having watched just a majority of T90’s casts, I can count a very few times that I saw them. Despite their bonus against ALL UUs, most of the time it’s not smart to use them against cavalry or archer UUs, and they’re mainly only viable against huskarls, teutonic knights, karambits, berserks, and woad raiders (if they can catch them), with it being a toss-up against Jags. I think the supplies tech will be the tipping point that pushes them firmly into the “very rare and ultra-situational” category, given how strong Japanese champs already are. Berserks were used a little more frequently, but I think supplies will similarly not make it worth the slight edge they have over tanky Viking champs.

So for these two units especially, and perhaps some other infantry UUs, I think a small buff would be in order so as to not completely marginalize these UUs. Maybe supplies could grant a -10 food cost to these UUs in addition to the -15 to the swordsman line, or they could be given slight increases in speed or hp to make them worth choosing over champs. Or maybe samurai could be given a small bonus against semi-unique regional units such as the Steppe Lancer, Battle Elephant, etc. I do think it’s odd how many people are saying “it’s fine” about obvious nerfs to units that were already questionable or uncommon most of the time. Let’s get a little more info and see how things play out after the upcoming balance patch.

The steppe lancers have been nerfed wonderfully and it’s nice to have them for both the Cumans and Tartars just like eagle warriors were for Aztecs and Mayans back in AoC.

Please ignore my post, devs, about removing the lancers from the Tartars, now. It’s fine for both civs to have them.

But don’t add them to other civs for “historical” reasons either! <3 It’s perfect (for) now. And if after testing it turns out you’ve nerfed lancers too hard then you can always fix that in a later update <3

If they are balanced, would it be a big issue to add them to other nations?

Maybe remove knights in favor of steppe Lancers?

Like your ideas, I have a few suggestions I would like to add to this.
Scorpions, make them more useful, by mirroring historical uses, First If your hit by one of these things your dead, or at least make them do more damage then a fully upgraded Arbalest crossbowmen. Also fix the range, in medieval times these things shot out to about 400 meters.
In comparison the record for longest shot with a longbow was at Finsbury Fields in the 16th century was 315 meters.
Upvote
Also those stats I mentioned are accurate from historical records.

1 Like