Loss of resources when reassigning villagers to different resources

OK, I created a new steam account, did family sharing, and the problem doesn’t occur on the new account, very weird. Seems like it could be some type of setting issue though, as the problem was still happening on the old account with all mods disabled. I’ve tried resetting all my settings to default, verifying game files, unsubscribing to most of my mods to no avail :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: (restarting the game and steam a million times in between of course).

Anyone know if actually unsubscribing to mods would make a difference vs just disabling them?

Also, the problem doesn’t happen in the William Wallace campaign. So strange.

1 Like

In options below game tab have you enabled right-click garrison there?
Maybe that option is in conflict or changes the expected behavior. Strange issue and if it’s gone below a fresh account it has to be settings related. The famous specific needle in a haystack of needles. :wink:

2 Likes

I changed every setting to the opposite (other than the audio tab and some drop down menus), and also tried resetting them all to default. (Just retried it on the new account, the intended behaviour happens either way w right click garrison on/off). Re-installing a bunch of mods, will see if that affects it.

1 Like

Re-installed the game, still not fixed, reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

OK, could you record a video of the issue happening and link it us here? The more info you provide the better.

1 Like

Here you are, happening on my new account now, I’m assuming installing a mod caused it but somehow disabling or even unsubscribing from the mod doesn’t fix it (all mods off in the vid). It doesn’t appear to be caused by non-default hotkeys as the same thing happens with the default ones.

First part is showing it not working, it hasn’t worked on any standard game mode I’ve tried. It works properly in the William Wallace Campaign and in ranked TG multiplayer.

I’ve tried everything I can think off, deleting the whole C:\Users\Nathan\Games\Age of Empires 2 DE\ folder, re-installing the game, changing every setting in the game.

Replay files:
https://gofile.io/d/A7eySO
https://gofile.io/d/ATTRqT

3 Likes

Still happening for me, but it’s only in singleplayer I think.

its the mod or the game doing this. after you unsubscribe the mods, you’d need to restart the game for some of the thing to take effect. if that doesn’t work, reinstall your game.

Already done all that.

I had to reimage my entire system to get age of empires back to normal function. probably some window files that age of empire uses is corrupted like netframework or dx not sure, its definitely not the game cause other people have no problem.

Not sure we can conclude “it’s not the game” just because it doesn’t affect everyone. Creating a new account worked for a bit.

3 Likes

I would like to add that this behaviour can be set to ‘old’ (Checked) or ‘new’ (Not Checked, Default) when creating a scenario. (Includes Campaigns). So it could be that some scenario’s or campaigns don’t have this behaviour. Random maps and ranked etc. should all have this behaviour.

Edit:
You can find the option when in the scenario editor and going to the options tab and selecting:
Which has the following description:

2 Likes

I sincerely hope, that no scenario designer marks that checkbox. It would be a nasty surprise to the player, because players are now expecting new behavior. Also if I remember correctly, it is possible to force drop resources by having ALT pressed when clicking on other resource.

This is still happening to me, which is weird – I used to have the new behavior (villages keep resources until it reaches the new resources) during the past few patches on my old computer, then I installed/updated aoe2:de on a new computer (from the same steam account; this computer had the January version of DE before, and I updated it directly to the June version), and on the latest version, it has the same issue as this thread (villagers force-drop resources in standard and ranked matches). I’ve checked hotkeys, other options, the scenario editor, and disabled all mods, but none of them seem to affect this behavior. I even reinstalled DE, and the behavior doesn’t change. It turns out, I can get the new behavior if I make a custom scenario and keep the Force-Drop option unchecked and click “Test Scenario”, but standard games still use force-drop.

I prefer not to create a new Steam account because my achievements etc are tied to my current one.

To summarize, here are my repro steps:

1. Computer 2 should have DE installed from early January.
  2. Computer 1 should have DE installed on the May 31 patch (“June patch”), and should have been up to date with every patch. Both computers should have the same steam account.
  3. On Computer 2, update DE directly to the latest patch (June patch)
  4. Start a standard game on Computer 2 (the rest of these steps should be on computer 2).
  5. Task 1 villager to forage bushes. Gather 2 food.
  6. Task the villager to a straggler tree or gold mine. It immediately drops the 2 food.

To clarify, I no longer have access to Computer 1, so the new computer is my only way to play DE.

Just a shot in the dark here, are there any register keys that I can edit to directly fix this feature?

1 Like

This bug is still here for my computer in the newest (July 21) update.

I can try @natefive5 's solution of getting a new Steam account, but I’m not sure if there’s a way to transfer DE to a new account without buying the game again. Is there a way to delete all local Aoe2 DE - related game files pertaining to the Steam account?

You can use family sharing.

Could try deleting everything in
C:\Users\Nathan\Games\Age of Empires 2 DE
and
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\

(backup first), although the latter would affect any other steam games you have.

@natefive5 , finally fixed it! I was able to use my existing steam account.

Turns out you have to follow these instructions to delete your game options from the steam cloud:

The game ID for age of empires II:DE is 813780. You have to follow these instructions and run the powershell script on all the files in Steam\userdata\[userid]\813780\remote to trigger a conflict, and then once the sync conflict window shows up when you launch the game, delete all the files in that folder, then click “upload to cloud”, then in steam settings, turn off cloud sync, and exit Age of empires II:DE. After that, delete your local game settings in both the aforementioned folder and in C:\Users\[Username]\Games\Age of Empries 2 DE , and then turn back on cloud sync, and relaunch the game. Voila, same steam account, bug fixed!

I still think that it’s a bug, that leftover cloud files from past updates can break the villager-resources behavior, but I’m glad that we can individually fix it by deleting steam cloud files.

1 Like

Thanks for the update, I’ll try it.

Wonder if this could somehow have an effect on the stutter, did you have it before and do you have it now? @StrawCube487203

I don’t see any stutter now, fortunately, after a long multiplayer game. I didn’t try playing multiplayer before the cloud sync fix, so I don’t know if I had it before — I just didn’t see any stutter.

1 Like