Magyars Civ bonus for Calvary archers

I dont like this for 2 reasons:

1. the huns are already getting cheaper ca

2. It is a team bonus? Rlly? What if u ally with a hun player 2 wood and 2 gold ca? it is a good idea but it is broken

You mean like how berbers get even cheaper scouts? Or byz share cheaper camels? Or mayans Koreans and porto all have cheaper archers? :joy::joy::joy: Been a while since i saw someone moan about overlap but ill still pop up like a gopher to shut them down

I like this idea. Magyar are extremely good in the late game. But the HCA is not only the most expensive unit to upgrade, but also not as strong as the paladin/prone to that stuttering issue that absolutely murders ROF.

I would still vote for an earlier non-scout orientated eco buff(eg range discount) over the tech discount.

I also like the idea of swapping the UT (with an associated minor discount) it gives an incentive going CA which are known to be subpar in castle age, as well as the fact that corvinian army is generally not cost effective in castle age anyway (gold is worth less than food in castle age, you need to create a whopping 31 huszars before the g discount even kicks in)

1 Like

I get ur point but all these are diffrent : Porto gets an discount on gold units which extends to archers, mayans get cheaper archers and byzantines get cheaper camels pikes and skirms while berbers get cheper cav. Make the bonus something that extends to another unit aswell

You mean like cheaper scouts AND CA like the OP already stated? And theoretically applies to the huszar as well since its stats heavily outweigh its price

It’s not an overlap if it’s straight up a copy paste bonus

3 Likes

How about more responsive cavalry archers?

That’ll buff a lot of CA civ. Nerfing them would be hell.

1 Like

Even the stupid Hussar pierce armor overlaps aren’t the same like your suggestion

I think that discounted ranges would be a small and nice way to help CA playstyles

1 Like

Magyars are the only civ that gets FU Paladin and arbs.

This makes them very strong civ that has answer to most matchups while not having to tech switch to CA

Their UU is basically stronger than Hussar even without elite upgrade which gives them big advantage as soon as castles start getting up.

Id say Magyars are fine. You can just make arbs instead if you can’t afford all the CA upgrades or need to gather a bit more res.

3 Likes

The only thing I can expect is getting +1 attack for free from castle age and Recurve Bow gives only +1 range like it used to be before. Or the opposite. But I don’t feel like it is necessary.

The Magyars are clearly a Cavalry and Archer civilization, the intersection of which is the Cavalry Archer. I would suggest that building a Barracks to unlock Stables and Ranges be waived off for the Magyars. This really does function like a wood bonus, saving 200 wood (includes wood lost during build time).

You may say that this is an overlap to the Khmer bonus, but there are differences. While Khmer generally go for Stable (Barracks req) and Siege Workshop (Blacksmith req), this bonus mostly helps with ageing up and Scout Rush.

In a similar theme to Scout Rush, the Barracks being waived off for Magyars ensures that Scouts reach the opponent before the walls go up. The 200 wood saved can be used for archers (likely) and Cavalry Archers.

Going for Cavalry Archers is already a hefty investment. Barracks (required), 2-3 Archery Ranges, 1 Blacksmith, 1 stable (Husbandry and Bloodlines), which in itself costs too much wood.

Magyars have one of the best scout rush. There is no need to buff it. You need to nerf the discount to 10% then. Or lock free attack upgrade on blacksmith which most players will hate as it will also kill their M@ potential.

As for archer or CA, I’m okay with unlocking range without a Barracks. But again do Magyars need a buff?

Their scrush is good only if you have the chance to build scouts. The bonus I suggested allows them to reach that potential. Since it is a wood bonus, it doesn’t help directly with scouts. It means allowing ageup 1 villager earlier or means getting economy upgrades earlier.

I like the suggestion where the Magyars get an eco bonus of herdables not rotting. However a bonus for cavalry archers is unnecessary.

1 Like

Magyars are a great civ. Their scout rush is super deadly with two bonuses that match together perfectly. As pocket civ they are fantastic since you can perform an aggressive scout rush and at the same time saving food to reach a decent castle age.

In 1v1, as long as the enemy doesn’t get to be full walled very early, they can do a massive damage that snowballs into castle age.

I know they arent that popular as franks, khmer, chinese or meso civs, but they have very good weapons for feudal, castle and imperial age. Their FU cav archers are fantastic. Their UU is insanely good for raiding, trash wars and for killing siege. They are one of the strongest civs in mobile environments.

Even in arena they are good, since you can easily control the map and relics with their super scouts, forcing your opponent to stay at home.

I use them a lot, and I dont see any reason to buff them in any ways.

3 Likes

Imagine a TG with Tatars and Magyars. Magyars go cav, Tatars go archers, in castle age Tatars pull off the easiest techswitch possible and go double stable CA. Who could counter this?

magyars? knights easily beat slow producing, needing upgrades from 3 buildings castle age CA

2 Likes

Franks + Britons/Mayans is the answer to everything in a 2v2 as long as it is Arabia.