MAP-BASED OUTLAWS NEED ADJUSTMENT: 1 pop is the difference between the Outlaws that are competitive and those that are not

I don’t know what the devs want but what we have now is inconsistency. Outlaws in vanilla used to all have such extremely high pop costs that they would never be usable against a large enemy army, making them an extreme but potentially useful “emergency force” (and on occasion were used in dedicated map-based strats).

The Definitive Edition has had lots of reworks for them to make them more competitive but the current state is that half of the map-based Outlaws cost only 2 pop higher than their equivalent units, making the “Theaters” or “Compunction” card (reduces pop cost by 2) all you need to bring them in line with a standard army. The other half of the Outlaws are 3 pop higher than their equivalent units (or more), making them very pop-ineffective even after sending Theaters or Compunction.

This is confusing. Why not make all Outlaws either in one camp or the other? I love Outlaws so I’d be in favor of reducing pop costs on the extreme cases, but I’d be in favor of increasing pop costs on some if it means we get some closure on what this unit type is truly for.

Here’s a list of the units that would need a 1 pop cost reduction if the goal was to make all map-based Outlaws pop-competitive with the right deck:

• Pirate
  • Comanchero
  • Pistolero
  • Renegado (maybe, might be worth 2 pop currently)
  • Highwayman
  • Inquisitor
  • Wokou Pirate
  • Dacoit (might need even more cost reduction)
  • Thuggee (might need even more cost reduction)

CONVERSELY, here’s a list of the units that would need a 1 pop cost INCREASE if the goal was to make all map-based Outlaws pop-inefficient (even with the right deck):

• Wokou Monk
  • Wokou Horseman
  • Wokou Ronin
  • Corsair Marksman (he’d actually need a 2 pop increase)
  • Desert Archer
  • Desert Warrior
  • Desert Raider
  • Hajduk
  • Cossack Daredevil
  • Crabat

NOTE: I’m not referring to any of the USA/Mexico/Ethiopian/Hausa inherent Outlaws when I’m making these suggestions. We actually did see an era of 1-pop Gunslingers and Owlhoots for USA and that was nerfed pretty quick, but most of these suggestions don’t impact those civs. The only civs that can recruit map-based Outlaws are European and Asian.

1 Like