Mercenary Companies

No swiss mercs were predominantly catholic. It’s just wrong so stop it, it’s bad enough that the dialect the pikemen uses is completely wrong

That’s only true because they were most prominent before the Reformation. The time period of AoE3 is mostly after the Reformation, so there would be a significant portion of them that were Reformed. Protestant Swiss mercenaries fought in the French Wars of Religion and also for the Dutch and English (including against the Jacobites).

1 Like

It would be the last straw…xd

Tell me that you know nothing about us without telling me so. The Reformed regions were prohibited until the dutch asked and made a common front against france in the 17th from mercenary services, it was mainly rural innerswiss regions PREDOMINANTLY CATHOLIC and Solothurn, colloqually known as a Soldpatriziat or mercenary contractor patrician city canton. The vast majority of recruit grounds were still catholic, infact the most well known mercenary contractors were the Reding line and more importantly the Zurlauben hired swiss guard regiments for france.
Simply put the protestant regions also weren’t socioeconomically forced to rely upon the mercenary trade.

Stop being such a grumpy Swiss Catholic. You started off by saying it was false that there were Protestant Swiss mercenaries. I’m saying there were plenty of Swiss Mercenaries that weren’t Catholic, and a Reformed faith is the strongest connection between the units in the Highlander Army (which is an existing card, not something I made up). Also keep in mind, that Swiss Pikemen are not the only unit that represents Swiss mercenaries. Papal Guards represent them too, and they would all be Catholic.

1 Like