Mercenary contractor for Italians French only age 4 units?

It should ship some of the mercenaries it unlocks, it already happens when you send the Advanced Politicians card with Italy.

Exactly, thatā€™s why the mercenary contractor should unlock a 1v1 unit and a team unit, the swiss pike should be the 1v1 unit and the mounted rifleman the team game.

1 Like

Alternatively, the AgeV Mercenary Contractor could unlock another 2 mercs, leaving one space for an Age III merc and another one for AgeV (which could be The Liā€™l Bombard, the Elmetto or the Royal Horseman).

Mmm I donā€™t knowā€¦ I like the mercenary contractor age V giving massive buffs to mercs making them super strong, and I believe that 2 unique mercs for each civ is enough.

They already have papal lancers and papal bombards, which are basically the same unit.

I meant other than giving the buff. The Fortress Age M.C. would unlock 2 mercs and send some of them, while the Age V one would unlock another two mercs and give the buff.
Lil Bombards would synergize well with Papal Bombards, they are more fragile but deal similar siege damage with a 4-sec ROF instead of 7-sec. Besides, take into account that Italy has only 1 factory to deliver Papal Bombards.

Iā€™m ok with M.C. not sending any units. It is offering a guarantee of some good merc units that you can count on being available. That is its bonus. The Inca card American Allies only ships a 100 wood embassy and allows you to make a limited number of some natives that arenā€™t on the map. You have to pay 700 coin for gun running just for the privallege of making outlaws for native civs. Therefore M.C. should unlock a merc and not send any, but not only age iv mercs, that just makes it useless and silly. It should be like all of the other M.C. for the other civs, unlocking one age 3 merc and one age 4 merc.

I donā€™t know, itā€™s overbuffing it in my opinionā€¦

And italy can send the mediterranean army which includes elmeti, zouaves and lil bombards for an infinite number of times, so itā€™s fine in my opinion.

And alternative is to unlock swiss pikes in age 3 and mounted rifleman in age 4, by aging up with the mercenary contractor, and with advanced politicians you unlock the mercenary contractor an age earlier (with adjusted stats) besides shipping one. This would also solve the Italy problem with the lack of skirms, as mounted rifleman are basically expensive ###### skirms.

If you donā€™t send AP instead you get 2 swiss pikes.

Anyway I think that Italy should be a bit more unique when playing mercs, they have the lombard unique building but without any sort of bonusā€¦

Some more broad way to expand the merc roster for euro civ actually could be to add a tech in the capitol, in order to have some other fix mercs behind a balanced cost for each civ.

1 Like

Yes, it would work if it gave some mercenary unit type that the civ is lacking. After all, why would a nation go hire some foreign units through a mercenary contractor if they already have that unit type or even worst, as it happens with Italy and French, they donā€™t even exist yet in that century?
Regarding the comparison with Inca American Allies card, you have to consider that it is an Age I card, while we are talking about a Fortress Age politician, which, of course, should have more value in comparison. Also, the value of this politician could be even lower in the case that some of the mercenaries it unlocks are already in the tavern at the start of the game, so it should be reasonable to consider some sort of effect to add a bit of value.
It could be a small cost reduction on the mercenaries it unlocks if giving some of the mercs could be too much. What is clear is that the units this politician unlocks should be changed for some civs.

1 Like