Microsoft Removed change colour option in Multiplayer

Hi guys, So… Am i the only one out there who is bothered by not being able to change colour in multiplayer games? If you’re the host you are now always blue and you don’t have a choice…

Back in 1997 we could change colours. WHY CAN’T WE ANYMORE?

WHY REMOVE IT IN THE FRIST PLACE???

Bring back colours in multiplayer, i know more of you out there feel the same as i do.

2 Likes

The devs have said the feature to choose a custom player color in multiplayer is coming to the game at some point.

1 Like

I would like this feature. I love matching particular colors to particular civilizations… and I tend to play a lot of 1v1s and 2v2s, making many of the colors not picked by anyone else, giving me lots of options. But that’s useless if all the colors are fixed.

But I’ve just given up on Multiplayer until they bring ELO to multiplayer anyways. It’s too frustrating seeing games saying “no noobs” and they’re still noobs, or games saying “Noobs only” and they’re really good and destroy you. Games where the host basically judges how good he thinks he is, based on nothing but his own subjective biases and ego, and people who aren’t noobs can join noob games and people who aren’t experts can join “expert” games. Part of what makes a game have fantastic multiplayer is competiveness… and even for the casual players it’s more fun to play with people on your own level rather than people who are too easy or difficult, so the game feels already over before it’s even really begun. There’s nothing quite like a long game where players are evenly matched.

Even a ladder system wouldn’t be very good if it isn’t ELO. ELO is just so darn awesome. Watch the Spirit of the Law video about ELO on YouTube if you’re unfamilar with it. It makes matches incredibly balanced the vast majority of the time. ELO is what kept me playing AoE2 multiplayer for years rather than months. I’d very much like that experience with AoE1. Without ELO I’ll just be playing single player vs multiple AIs a couple of times a month… rather than playing daily online. Multiplayer feels underwhelming without ELO. I may as well just stick to AoE2 forever if there’s gonna be no ELO for AoE1 DE. And I participated in the beta and I’ve loved everything up until recently. I’m just really tired of waiting for an ELO system, especially when it’s such a high priority. So I really do hope it’s coming, otherwise multiplayer is not going to be very competitive or fun for competitive players. Many of the top players in the world at Age of Empires 2, would be more interested in playing AoE1 DE on the side for fun if it has an ELO system. It’s no fun without ELO. The Viper the best player in the world at AoE2, and Daut the legend of AoE2 who’s been a pro at the game since 2002… both want rated to come to the game. And I’m only average at AoE2 and AoE1 (about their level at AoE1)… and even I want the same. Anyone who enjoys that competitive feeling will love ELO. Am I the only one who NEEDS it for multiplayer? I got bored playing random people and uneven matches already. So many games where I start and the enemy is useless or I start and the enemy is a veteran. We need ELO.

This is a much needed feature since some colors are really hard to distinguish next to each other.

Still not in the game. such a simple feature already present in the original game is not on this game.

I’m just really tired of waiting for an ELO system, especially when it’s such a high priority.

The code is there, I saw it and actually debugged it a little to make sure it was executed. I suspect if/when MS gets around to updating this title, they’ll fix this as the community is really pushing for it.

I really want to see what they are so busy with that they’ve halted any updates on this DE :slight_smile: Maybe another Gamescon thing

There was also Classic Mode that was in Multiplayer at some point in the Beta, it’s removed today, I think it’s just disabled and can be added again easily, no ?

1 Like

There a few features in fact… That have been removed from the " new " game yet the original game seems to have these features. The Rise of Rome expansion. Now im pretty sure that game had an ELO system within it’s multiplayer because i remember being rated 1800 by default ( I never played competitively just for fun )

Colours removed. I’m fairly sure they’ve just disabled the option to pick a colour in multiplayer. For what reason??? I can’t think of a single good reason why. Another laughable Microsoft decision

Custom maps in multiplayer.
You cannot play ANY custom map online unless you upload the scenario file somewere online and have everybody inside your lobby download and manually add that scenario to their maps folder… Just to play.
How it worked in Rise of Rome and the original base game… is when a User did not have the map the host selected. IT WOULD AUTOMATICALLY DOWNLOAD THAT MAP… To solve the problem. ANOTHER disabled option… WHY??? I can’t think of a single good reason why. Another Laughable Microsoft decision

The AI. I don’t know what you guys have done down at HQ or were ever you ■■■■■■■ developed the game in some backwater cave. But somehow you guys have managed to make the AI much worse and Very very very stupid in the new version of the game… Worked perfectly fine in Rise of Rome and the Original. Especially if you turned the difficulty to the hardest. Now… It’s a joke. ANOTHER… LAUGHABLE MICROSOFT DECISION

There are more features in the Rise of Rome / Base Original game then there are in the current. Why have you stripped away / Disabled these things? How can you sell a game, the very same game with features like that removed and stripped away… They are seriously mind boggling. Not to mention… The most laughable decision of all time.

This

7 of your own games marketed for advertisement on your own website, Sending you to ANOTHER website ( Steam ) Yet if you wanna own Age of Empires definitive. You must buy it off the windows store only.

You segregated your own game by putting it in it’s own seperate shop segregated from the other games.

What a giant ■■■■■■■ joke.

By the way, If you go to the website Jennifer Godwin linked in the “here” link. It takes you directly to the steam store page. https://store.steampowered.com/

Does anyone else find this all a bit hard to believe is actually happening??? Especially the backwards marketing they’re doing?

It’s pretty safe to say at this point i would never ever buy another microsoft store product. Nor would i ever reccomend it to anybody. I would have refunded the game because of how dissapointed i am with the actual product but there is a no refund policy on the store.

I remember the topic on the beta, in fact the player number also set the position of the player on the map, and it can cause balance issues on team games, as far as I remember they wanted to modify it before putting it back.

[quote]Custom maps in multiplayer.
You cannot play ANY custom map online unless you upload the scenario file somewere online and have everybody inside your lobby download and manually add that scenario to their maps folder… Just to play.
How it worked in Rise of Rome and the original base game… is when a User did not have the map the host selected. IT WOULD AUTOMATICALLY DOWNLOAD THAT MAP… To solve the problem. ANOTHER disabled option… WHY??? I can’t think of a single good reason why. Another Laughable Microsoft decision[/quote]

Original AoE didn’t have this feature, I had to manually give the map to each player. But indeed, AoE DE could have it since the beginning.

[quote]7 of your own games marketed for advertisement on your own website, Sending you to ANOTHER website ( Steam ) Yet if you wanna own Age of Empires definitive. You must buy it off the windows store only.
You segregated your own game by putting it in it’s own seperate shop segregated from the other games.[/quote]

This behavior doesn’t surprise me. The games currently on Steam released ‘a lot of time’ ago, so they may be concerned by price reduction. AoE DE released 5 months ago, so it’s not reduced yet. They wanted to go on this new platform (Windows Store), I think as well as all their future games, but I think same price policy would be done when the time will come.

?

This wasn’t an explicit decision, it fell in between the cracks. It could have been added, but the DE devs have moved on to other projects as there is no funding to work more on DE.

Such a basic feature for any RTS game and yet still no option for it. Kinda messes up custom online maps as well since the host always has to play as blue player.

2 Likes