[Minor Natives topic] Post here your ideas for every single minor natives so the devs can look at

SHAOLIN

SHAOLIN: Shaolin Temple | Age of Empires Series Wiki | Fandom)

Overview
They need more improvements. Furthermore I went for a focus on Shock Infantry, specially because Rattan Shield lack any multiplier, remarkable speed, effect or health.

• Shaolin Sutra (300f, 300c, 300w; 20 s research time)​: Buddhist Sutras delivers 1 shipment but it arrives twice as slow.
    New Effect: Gives you 1 shipment to use but it arrives in 120s.
    Why:​ I personally despise the “gotta go fast!” shipment meta by D.E. civs, but I like this tech because it does exactly the opposite: it arrives late and it also slows down the queue of cards you earn in the meantime, so it’s a double-edged sword.

Lore: Sutras are canonical scriptures, many of which are regarded as records of the oral teachings of Gautama Buddha. They are not aphoristic, but are quite detailed, sometimes with repetition. Sutra

• Shaolin 18 Hands Style (300f, 300c)​: Shaolin teach Luohan’s 18 hands. With Kung Fu lessons your shock infantry are more agile and skilled.
    New Effect: Shock infantry move 7.5% faster and their hand attack is 10% faster (Unarmed shock infantry attack 20% faster instead).
    Why:​ By “Unarmed” shock infantry read it as “Disciple” & " Chasqui" etc: Since Chinese have a very useless shock infantry, lore-wise, I decided to further benefit unarmed shock infantry, so China can be more interested than other civs to align with a Shaolin Temple. I did a similar thing regarding Sufi and India.

Lore: Shaolin combat methods are taught via forms. The most famous styles of Shaolin kung fu is the 18 hands: Shaolin Luohan’s 18 hands movements are simple and straight, their methods are mostly done by the palms of the hands. Fists, hook hands, and other hand gestures and kicks are less used. Luohan quan

• Shaolin Mahayana Routine (225f, 225c)​: Shaolin diet makes your units cost a bit less food.
    New Effect: Military units (except natives, mercenaries and siege units) cost 5% less food. Rattan Shield are trained 10% faster.
    Why:​ This is a mix of economic + military perk, inspired by one from OperaticShip743

Lore: The monks in Shaolin Monastery practice modified form of Mahayana Buddhism. It is called Chan Buddhism which spread to Korea and Japan. Generally, there are 3 main schools/branch of Buddhism and Mahayana is the strictest one in term of their diet.

• REWORKED TECHS

All seem fine. Dim mark could have been cheaper though

5 Likes