Modding - Taunts

Absolutely closed my mouth. Thanks for this!!

Thank you very much for your input - are you associated with Age of Empires professionally, or just a wizard?

From what I understand, there are 2 situations at play;

1. changing existing taunts/sounds - complicated as the new game uses bnk soundbanks follow the guide provided by this kind man, and use the spreadsheet to identify sounds
  2. Taunts 106-999 are still fairly easy to add, use the file path provided above by my other kind friend, currently only supports WEM files (non vorb) but this will change. To create Wems you can take mp3s save as wavs (try using goldwave) and then export as wems using wwise (seems convoluted there might be a quicker way)

\mods\local\MODNAME\resources\en\sound\taunt This folder doesn’t exist for me. When I create this folder path, it is not recognised in the games mods manager. Whereabouts should the mods folder be located? in the root of the aoe2de folder? I’m using a steam copy btw

Hi mate,

I’m not currently at home so cant double check, but there should be 2 locations, all source game files in the usual steamapps location (program files), and then custom and downloaded files will be in Users/YOUR NAME/Games/AoE2 DE mods etc. Play around by downloading a test mod then opening file location from AoE directly

1 Like

Sorry to repeat myself, but the method provided here to mod taunts doesn’t work reliably.

I’ve placed .wem files (PCM) created from .wav files that have been converted from .mp3s from HD in:
\mods\local\Classic German Taunts\resources\de\sound\taunt

When typing 1 in game the new taunt still plays. This is what it looks like in the mod manager! What does the “!” mean?

I also tested another mod from the workshop, which uses the same procedure and the game also takes issue with that.

When I type the added taunts (321 for example) the game replaces whati typed with /321and nothing plays.

Hi alex,

I think replacing the original taunts 1-105 requires amending the bnk file. But I’m not sure why the subscribed ones aren’t working, anyone else?

Hi, i made the Aussie Banter Taunts mod’s and me and IrLOLrofl are IRL friends. I have had virtually no issue after we worked out PCM was the required format for the wems. I’m assuming that its got something to do with the language, if your seeing /321 id say it hasnt loaded correctly. We determined that PCM was the required format as placing them in that directory was still issuing the taunt in the lobby but not actually playing any sound (completely silent), after adding different settings we worked out that it was possible. I think there might be an issue where the modding paths aren’t using the selected/preferred language to override the taunts, Maybe the taunts currently only work in /en/ path? I wonder if you add it to the /en/ path instead of /de/ would it correctly load and issue the taunt or at the very least show 321 instead of /321? If so that would infact be a bug with mod loader.

I also started working on a tool to convert Mp3’s and Wav’s on the fly instead of having to install and use wwise and export them using a convoluted method, i’ve had some success converting some .wems but it needs to be smarter and interpret bit rates and how to write wem’s because they sound a bit deepfried at the moment. Ill work on it later today but not sure about when it will be ready.

Hey @Someonepicoon, @IrLOLrofl question for you both, what about updating a mod. I have some files in my Ultimate taunt pack that really need to be louder, I want to go back in and up their volume and re-upload. Assuming that I’d need to make a minor file name change so that the game files recognise it’s a new file? What about adding new taunts in and general rearrangement, do users get automatic updates?

I just tested this and I got mods to play from the /de/ folder. I also got that exclamation mark in the mods folder and my custom taunts wouldn’t play. I believe it appears when you put another languages taunts into your mods folder, as I had to delete all my /en/ taunts to get taunts to play from the /de/ folder after I changed my games language to German.

If you could, please delete all /en/ taunts from your mods folder, and only place taunts in the /de/ folder and it should work.

Also make sure the mods are going in
C:\Users\USERACC\Games\Age of Empires 2 DE\YOURPROFILE\mods\local\MODNAME\resources\de\sound\taunt

And not your games install directory. Just double checking, sorry if you already have the right directory.

1 Like

I tried a lot.
If place mod in \resources\jp\sound\taunt
The only way to use mod is launch game in Japanese and choose Japanese in option language.

game

folder language = launch language = option language : costum taunts would play
folder = launch != option : option language taunts
folder = option != launch : option language taunts and you would see mod with " ! " in mod manager
folder != option != launch : option language taunts and mod with " ! "

2 Likes

I found a stupid way
%E6%9C%AA%E5%91%BD%E5%90%8D

Just place what you want in every language folder and mod will work in all conditions

3 Likes

Hey everyone, the localized taunt mod issue has been fixed internally so it should come through in the next couple of updates.

3 Likes

YOU ARE AN ABSOLUTE GOD!!! <3

This is it! Now the mod works as intended. So many thanks to everyone in here that was helpful.

But honestly I never even thought about changing the steam options.

1 Like

Good work everyone! PS i will update you all once I figure out how updating mods goes

I’v managed to update the sounds in the mod easily, for some reason its harder to update the accompanying information - such as description, picture and change log. I kept getting errors, tried multiple picture formats etc. the change log ended up updating about 10 times, but withuot updating the picture

Just wanted to thank you all for figuring this stuff out :slight_smile: Also having issues with editing the mod page and weirdness in the mod manager.

1 Like

Does Vorbis work yet? I think there’s been 3 updates since it was “fixed for future updates”

Hi, unfortunately the 3 released hot-fixes did not include the fix to Vorbis or to the localized taunts issue (that is why we did not specify when it would be).
The next update, however, should include this as well as considerably improving the audio modding system in general. Thank you for your patience.

1 Like

For anyone who has the problem that the taunts don’t work, here is a solution i figured out.
Note: This works only for taunts that doesn’t replace the main taunts.

1.Find a taunt pack that already works (i dont know how to do this if you got no working pack).
2.Open both the directory of the working one and the one that doesn’t. (go to directory over the ingame mod menu or manual listed in “user/yourname/Games/Age of Empires 2 DE/number(mine is 76561197998360739)/mods/subscribed/yourtauntpack”.
3. Now you want to copy the one who’s not working to your desktop, in my case from the Gordon ramsay taunt pack the file “500 embarassing_mess.mp3_D435D2E4.wem” and rename it to the working one, that’s in my case from the Aussie Banter taunts the file “106 Yes, of course.wem” or every other one in this pack because all of them worked. Now drag the renamed gordon ramsey taunt in the aussie taunt pack and override it.
4. If you start AoeDE now the game should reset the taunts and the taunt pack that wasn’t working before should now function properly.

Note that i set my game to english and most taunt packs only use the “en” files of the game.

That’s it let me know if it helped you. hfgl

I don’t understand why you don’t just put no encrypted .mp3 as the original game to make the game more moddeable, why choosing the difficulty way? We just want ALL the same mod way to AoE HD, is not that difficult but you did it in the harder way
 is incredible.

1 Like