Multiplayer is dead

Barely any games open, mostly 1v1s no TGs. Even in beta it was way easier to find games :frowning:
Do you think it will get better once there are Ratings? (so in a month or more eventually)

Dunno but this game needs much more support, and work from the developers. Imo itā€™s still in an early stage.

When Iā€™m online I still see quite some lobbies open, it depends a lot on your time zoneā€¦ But I agree we could use more players :smiley:

No itā€™s notā€¦I mean it could use some connection improvements ( and the rating system ) but it is definetly not deadā€¦

What else did u expect?

• no steam
  • terrible pathfinding
  • nothing added to outdated 1997 game (e.g. not even caring about farm-reseeding)
  • game is nothing than a little advertising for aoe4

The scope of the project is not to make a new game with loads of extras. There are lots of small improvements. There could be improvements though.

A lot of people like single player too remember.

Didnā€™t release on STEAM and you have to have Windows 10 to play itā€¦ what do you expect?

Itā€™s a niche game. 20 years ago it was legendary - today itā€™s a niche game with a small fanbase. For this game to have a good reach among gamers it had to release on STEAM and it had to be available for Windows 8 and 7. For the AoE community STEAM is where itā€™s at. AoE 2 is very successful there.

With the decisions Microsoft madeā€¦ Windows 10 only, Microsoft store onlyā€¦ its playerbase was always going to be tiny.

Was anyone really expecting the multiplayer scene to be ultra-lively? A lot of us who grew up with the game mostly played it offline back then, so I assumed thatā€™s what the vast majority of people grabbing this would be doing. Especially given the majority preference for AOE 2 multiplayer, which -is- quite widely played right now.

I mean, it would be nice if the game got some more things for it to foster its online play, just saying that itā€™s not all together surprising, and as people have said, itā€™s no less than what was promised.

Actually what used to get people hooked to the game is the single player. Thatā€™s not to say that multiplayer isnā€™t important, it always was, but the unpatched game made things rough for some civs --I remember Palmyrans was my favourite civ and when I played online I was dead in less than 15 minutes and while not a multiplayer AoE expert at the time, I was a decent RTS player overall.

Where the original AoE actually shone was in the Single Player campaigns and scenarios. Some of them are the most epic ones Iā€™ve ever played.

Absolutely not !

I have no problem to play complete 2-3 games by hours and see many lobbies create.
After if you think wait 15 sec = ā€œMultiplayer is deadā€, maybe you should review your definition.

I guess the biggest competition for aoe always been aoe2.

Aoe2 has more features, more players, more online options, can be played on Any computer.

The decision to make win 10 only, and the need of a strong cpu doesnt help.

@arapiCOMMANDER said:
What else did u expect?

• no steam
  • terrible pathfinding
  • game is nothing than a little advertising for aoe4
  • the game is in early beta

Fixed this for you

I was in beta, but they release way to early, multiplayer to many bugs, so most people leave after trying some games, really horrible game release failure imho.

GMT/UT there are plenty of players in the evenings. I was off yesterday morning as well and got a 4v4 in what would be working hours for most of Europe. Iā€™m pretty sure I even played with you yesterday @ā€œteutonic tanksā€, what time are you trying to play.

I havenā€™t had to host yet, which tells me there are enough to join in my Time zone.

At least for me, itā€™s the lack of a ranking system that is keeping me away from multiplayer. In the few games that I have played, I have always either been against noobs that provide no challenge, or pros that I have no chance of beating. Getting even matches is just too hard for now.

@qweytr24 said:
At least for me, itā€™s the lack of a ranking system that is keeping me away from multiplayer. In the few games that I have played, I have always either been against noobs that provide no challenge, or pros that I have no chance of beating. Getting even matches is just too hard for now.

This is especially frustrating in team games. It often happens to me that I either win super-easily or lose in a catastrophic way due to one player being too weak/strong in one of the teams. Either way, itā€™s really not fun to play with people with very different skill levels.

who shot him?

Does anyone have any issues with multiplayer ? I cant even join games, loading lobbies takes forever, friends trying to invite me say Iā€™m offline when Iā€™m clearly not; and Iā€™ve checked my firewall etc. Getting invites just opens the Xbox app and does nothingā€¦ or if Iā€™m already in the game, tells me theirs a Xbox live invite error?

Steam? I donā€™t want to install that virus on my computer - thereā€™s no reason why Microsoft with all their resources canā€™t handle something similar to Battle.net from the 90ā€™s