My anti-cheese/realism feature requests for AOE4

Oh I had no idea! Thats actually really cool :smiley:

1 Like

I dont have a problem with alternate methods of generating resources but I want them to make sense. How does a shrine that attracts animals generate gold? Its just silly and bordering on the line of fantasy which seems out of place in a historical RTS game.

1 Like

I am ok with some economic buildings but all civs should get them

Bakery= negative trickle of 1 food, gives 2 coin.

Inn tavern= trickly of coin

Lumber yard/ craftsman= wood trickle

cobblers house= increase villager speed 15%

etcā€¦

Buildings that add aesthetics, give economic bonuses, and even other bonuses

I donā€™t know, I think at some point it just becomes too complicated. I donā€™t see what these really add to the game. At the end of the day the economy isn AOE is all about supporting the military and I think that is where the focus of the game should be. Adding too much economic micro management and variety just shifts the focus of the game too much in the economy direction and away from military.

1 Like

actually I beg to differ, by allowing more buildings to gather res in late game that puts less emphasis on needing villagers allowing for a larger military. Its like dutch of AOE3 they can use 150 pop because they have banks

yeah I think a lot of people making suggestions to revamp aoe gameplay need to take into account the identity of the game.

Changing too many features could just make it ā€œXā€-but worse.
And risks just making a completely new title entirely.

Thatā€™s not the bit I donā€™t like, we can have a building like a bank, or feitoria or market or whatever generate resources to negate the need for micro managing villagers. I just donā€™t think we need a plethora of different buildings like taverns, bakeries, houses, orchids, shrines, cobbler houses, brothels, roaming circuses with freakshows and whatnot to generate a bunch of different resources which implies a really intricate and complex economy.

Sure 1 or 2 generic buildings like a market or a bank are fine, but we donā€™t honestly need more than that.

1 Like

Well this is a strategy game it does need some complexityā€¦ Or we could go back to CnC days of one resource. And I do not know how it actually makes things more complex, actually it is meant to make things less complex late game so that more emphasis can be put into late game fightingā€¦ which seems like a better balanceā€¦ To help mitigate the more complex resource gathering resources such as checking to make more stone pits or saw mills, training more sheep and regrow farms etcā€¦ you put them at a higher price point so that its not a good early investment.

Its ironic though, you donā€™t want extra buildings, yet likely are of the set that prefers barracks training 1 unit at a time so they had to make them smaller and the map is then just littered with a few types of buildings with no central city feelā€¦

its not about needing anything, its about finding ways to make things better, as its a beautiful game, and can make some beautiful cities. Especially if there were these aesthetic but useful buildings that could give strategic advantages, or be lost so the pursuer could gain an edge. (to avoid stalemates) It basically just takes techs in the games and makes them buildings, how could one not appreciate that?

I think we can just agree to disagreeā€¦ I would have to see this thing you propose in action to be convinced. These kinda things need a fine balance between being complicated enough to be interesting and not too complicated to be convoluted. TBH my reaction to AOE3 always was that it was just too convoluted with all the different mercenary units, and production buildings, and tribal allies and the home card shipments. Sure theoretically it added more stuff to the game but it just became unwieldy. But then again I get that this is subjective and some people actually like that gameā€™s mechanics so there is thatā€¦

1 Like

Oh its very subjectiveā€¦ All you mentioned is why I havenā€™t been able to put AOE3 down in over 12 years of playing. mercs, natives, add such a richness to the gameā€¦ Its a steeper learning curve for sure due to the deck system and choosing a good card order, but the same itself is a masterpiece, that will never need a remake. (unless games go into some kind of holographic mind projection tech)

I go to play AOE2 and it just feels so basic and simple.

3 Likes

Well that makes sense then, I am primarily an AOE2 player and you are an AOE3 player. Thatā€™s fine, each to their own.

I was like 15 when aoe1 came out. and jumped from CnC to AOE. Been playing AOE in some form or other most of my life. Longer than many of the audience has been alive. Perhaps why I am so passionate about it.