My Dream Outlaw Changes

Shongo Throwers would work better as a native warrior or mercenary rather than an outlaw. A Zande minor faction with a military unit of a Mabele Thrower would be a great addition.

One of the descriptions says they stored several knives behind their shields so they should have that. The shield could justify a high amount of melee or ranged resistance. A heavy infantry unit with some ranged resist and melee damage from range could be an interesting combo.

They’d be a great fit for Congo, Sudd, Darfur, and Lake Chad. And they could reasonably be stretched to Great Rift and Lake Victoria.

I’m working on a suggestion for better African outlaws and had a similar idea for a European style African outlaw. This is what I came up with:

Safari Tracker

An outlaw unit based on Victorian era big-game hunters.

European expeditions often had little regard for locals and operated outside the law making them akin to outlaws. Safari Trackers would be armed with an elephant gun and have a powerful, long range charged attack and a multiplier versus pets and treasure guardians to represent this. They should wear a pith helmet like pictured here:

Safari Trackers would make far more sense on Sub-Saharan African maps like Congo where “Desert” outlaws are very much out of place. It could also be present on many of the maps based in India too.

The other most promising candidate for an outlaw available in west and central Africa is the Leopard Society warriors:

Leopard Prowler

Pretty much an African outlaw version of the Jaguar Prowler Knight.

The Human Leopard Society was a secret society that ranged from Sierra Leone to Tanzania. They would dress as leopards and attack their victims with weapons shaped like leopard claws to make it appear as if the killing was done by a leopard. Their attacks happened in secluded jungles or under the cover of darkness, so stealth is a defining feature just like the JPK.

1 Like