My Mod For AOE:DE, Visual And Balance Changes

I have created a mod to show what all could be added to AOE:DE.
This is a fully working mod and can be used with Steam version of AOE:DE and AOE:ROR UPatch.

This mod can be downloaded from:

Visual changes

Draw levels

Elevating gazelles and units above tree level looks funky but it helps a lot with gazelle pushes.
This effect can be disabled.

Color corrections
colorChanges

Being able to distinguish between purple and blue as well as between orange, brown, and yellow helps a lot in team games.

Both visual changes are also available for AOE:DE v38862 and can be used in multiplayer games.

Units and technologies

More hit point for villagers at the start of the game and a technology which increases their hit points to 45 and gives +1 slash armor allowing defensive strategies to be used. Having Infantry Leather Armor as requirement, Town Center as a research location, and gold/stone cost ensures that aggressive strategies will stay viable.

I have also added new civilization bonuses such as:
Babylonian Builders work 33% faster
Choson All ranged units benefit from shield upgrades
Hittite Can build farms at Stone Age
Macedonian Docks work 33% faster

All changes can be viewed at
http://rmbrawl.net/aoe-de.html

User Patch only changes

Because in AOE:DE visuals, and civilization count can’t be changed I have decided to make few additional changes for the UPatch version only.

The additions include three new units:
Improved Slinger, Heavy Slinger and Recurve Bowman

And 4 new civilizations:

Nubia
All Temple technologies give bonus HP to Priests (Max 95 HP)
All units cost -10 wood
Gets +100 food on age up

Thrace
All unit upgrades cost -40%
All Stable units +1 slash armor

Parthia
Counter units deal +50% bonus damage
All bolt units fire 15% faster
Houses support an additional 1 headroom

Scythia
All units +25% blast radius
All buildings +4 line of sight
Starts game with +2 headroom

11 Likes

My sincere compliments … I am looking forward to try … And now, some new scenarios

2 Likes

I love this. Thanks for taking the time to improve the game! Nice to know it is both compatible with UPatch HD and the Definitive Edition!

I always disliked the oversaturated colors of the definitive editions. I like them to be more like this:

Image taken from this mod’s page.

As for civilization balances, optional features, and new units, that’s amazing. Thanks a lot for everything! :smiley::sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

I can’t see the new civ :confused:

The four new civilizations are only available in the User Patched version of the game (AoE:RoR).
AOE:DE doesn’t allow new civilizations.

2 Likes

Why is that so? Sad… :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Do you know if it is possible to bring the AI from Upatch to the DE?

Yesterday I played a skirmish with Macedonia and the Carthaginians made me â– â– â– â–  with archer elephants, hundreds of archer elephants that did not stop arriving. I played it in moderate :laughing: :sleepy:

1 Like

Yes, you can replace the DE AI with the UPatch AI.

Just make sure you have The UPatch installed before proceeding. (You can always revert back by verifying the integrity of files in Steam, if something goes wrong.)

To apply the UPatch AI:

1. You need to remove the AI files from the AOE:DE.
    These files are located in 3 different folder (remove the files but don’t delete the folders):
    “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AoEDE\CP_AI\AI” ( *.ai files)
    “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AoEDE\CP_AI\CTY” (*.cty file)
    “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AoEDE\CP_AI\PER” (*.per files. Keep the Legacy folder and the files in it.)
    DO NOT remove the “aoe.ply” file located in the “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AoEDE\CP_AI” folder.

2. Then copy all *.ai files from “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires\ai” into “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AoEDE\CP_AI\AI” folder.

3. Then copy the *.cty file from “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires\ai” into “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AoEDE\CP_AI\CTY” folder.

4. Then copy all *.PER files from “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires\ai” into “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AoEDE\CP_AI\PER” folder.

2 Likes

Thank you very much! I hope I do well against that AI :laughing: :sleepy:

1 Like

Last night I tested this with a quick match, and the AI actually tended not to not attack unless being attacked. I had a ballista tower that was only getting attacked by one of the two cavalry units around it :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
I can’t assure that behavior will make the campaigns easier overall, but it would be interesting to try and see what happens, or if changes are for the better.

As for the color edits, I love them! Everything looks sharper with this mod installed, with less “eye stressing” involved. Colors feel more natural IMO :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Hello! Is there any backup for this mod ? Link isnt working…

All right, i found it on heavengames : Age of Empires Heaven :: RM Brawl

2 Likes

Sorry, I took the original website down but I have uploaded the mod into GitHub.

4 Likes