My Thoughts on the Americans

Ok, there are 2 Americas in English, but they are americas, not only USA. Canada, Mexico… they are on North America too, they are americans but not from USA.
Great Colombia doesnt exist nowadays, thats not an issue. About guyanas, there are demonyms for each one of them in spanish, thats a english problem.
Well, about self identify, they had chosen the wrong word and nobody complained because the other countries were on war and they became a superpower. A change shouldnt be bad, United Statetesian could be fine like you have said in other post, great idea!!

2 Likes

These two statements contradict each other. “Guyana is different because there are different demonyms”… just like American. Latin American, South American, Central American, North American, etc. Guyana is the region. This is directly the same thing. Guyana’ state language is even English, it couldn’t be more similar.

This is hilarious. You are putting down a nation of 328 million people and saying they’re wrong.

Self determination is foundational for international law including the UN.

You’re seeming really bigoted, rude, and dismissive. Go ahead and tell another country they can’t call themselves what they want. I’m sure you’ll get some colorful language in your direction.

Man, you have some bad reading comprehension. Saying that “United Statesian” could be used in Spanish does not mean that I think it should be what we call it in English. That is directly stated in my comment. Also, I think the fact that Microsoft’s spell check considers “Statesian” an error should indicate that this is not an accepted word in US English.

At the end of the day, if Americans (yes I’m only talking about people of the United States now, be mad) would have chosen “butt licker” as their demonym, you don’t get to tell them they chose the wrong word. Even if you also identify as a “butt licker”.

2 Likes

About Guyana there is a demonym for it but there are also demonyms for each country. And about self determination and telling others… lets Puerto Rico be free then and let Mexicans, Colombians, Brazilians etc to use “American” too. USA shouldnt take that word for them, instead USA needs a new word that wouldnt be problematic and that word have to be unique for them like everyone’s demonym. Read about Greece and North Macedonia

Calling US citizens Americans is not “problematic”, it is just wrong.
Not only are they not natives to the continent, but the USA is just one of several nations in it.

2 Likes

It actually the opposite - you can’t call all american people us citizen, but the united states of AMERICA is located in north america, thus calling them americans is appropriate.

Does it matter that they are native to the continent? They live there - therefore it is correct to call them americans. By your logic immigrants aren’t allowed to change their nationality.

3 Likes

No, it is not, and they have no right to monopolize the term.
They are transplants, so they are not native, and tehy are not the only people in they continent either.

Yes, as it means they cannot claim the nomenclature for themselves.

2 Likes

Americans are Canadians, Mexicans, Brazilians… too.
I mean Canadians are Americans but americans arent Canadians. You cant use that word.
American=people living in Americas.
“New word”=people from USA.
Everyone have a demonym exclusive for them but not USA

2 Likes

You folks can complain about calling people from the USA “Americans” all you want, and debate whether or not is was originally appropriate - but to deny its current use is to deny reality. The English speaking world will assume that you are referring to people of the USA when saying “Americans”. This is the modern-day term, right or wrong. I don’t know that we should expect a video game to instigate the change.

6 Likes

I really don’t understand your point. Guyana - Guyanese. USA - American. Suriname - Surinamese. Canada - Canadian. Guyanese can refer to people from the region or the country. American can refer to people from the region or country. Other nations in the area have a different demonym. This is the same.

Yes. If that’s what they choose to do through referendum then yes. Or full statehood. Whatever they want. You think this is a ‘gotcha’ moment. But it’s not. I’m all for the people of Puerto Rico deciding what they want

Yes. They can call themselves American. In a regional sense, sure. That doesn’t mean it wont seem weird to people outside of Latin America.

This is where we have a problem. You think there should be exclusivity with this word, not me. YOU are the one saying other people are wrong, not me.

At the end of the day, you don’t respond to my points. You don’t read my posts. I’m done responding to you. Please go live your fantasy realm where you tell millions of people that what the call themselves - a base form of their identity - is wrong.

This take is bad. Essentially, this seems to imply that only the first people to inhabit a space get the privilege of having a demonym.

1. Call yourself European? Europeans are not natives to the continent and migrated in and displaced the natives in the Indo-European migration.
  2. Call yourself French? The Franks (Germanic people) displaced the Gauls (Celtic).
  3. Call yourself Birtish? The Anglo-Saxons (Germanic) displaced the Britons (Celtic).

It seems like practically no nation fits your criteria.

Your version of ignoring self determination is bad. You seem to be arguing that the way an entire culture sees themselves is wrong. That something they all agree is core to who they are needs to be radically changed.

1 Like

Only a matter of time before this thread turns into a USA bashing fiasco.

3 Likes

Unfortunately it already was around post 17. Them, the topic was kind of dying, but homeboy @Ekdal1378 decided to revive the topic with some more USA bashing.

I guess is better for us to just let the topic die from natural causes.

3 Likes

Native means that you were born in a certain region so you are a native to whatever region, or in this case continent you were born
If you are born in North America you are native to North America because that is where you were born

Your are right, Canadians and Mexican do not refer to themselves as Americans