My Video Review of V&V

Here’s my video if you’re curious:

The dust is still settling a bit as to what I think of this DLC, although I think my points stand and I wouldn’t adjust the final rating by more than a half point either way unless major new information comes out for good or ill.

Only thing that I slightly reconsidered during editing is that I don’t actually have any problem with the voice acting, at least in English (although it was a less important issue in the video as well). Yes, it could have been more varied, but there were bigger fish to fry.

Polish

12 Likes

I subbed to your channel when you first promoted it on the forums, but if I’m being honest never before found your content to grab my attention.

This review tho, very well done. Genuinely impressed. I don’t see much well done review content, besides Ornlu’s civ and campaign stuff. Dlc review tho……I think SOTL did a de review and a DE dlc ranking video. That’s about it that I’m aware of.

I can’t imagine how much time it takes to research, write, record, and edit a review/video essay like this but you seem to have an aptitude for it.

It’s content I didn’t know I wanted and I am curious to see what follows.

3 Likes

Amazing review! Very very interesting facts.

2 Likes

Thanks! Yeah, it’s definitely a bit more cerebral than most of my previous stuff, but it’s a good first step into making more analysis/critique type videos, which I hope to be able to do at least a couple times per week, in addition to the more casual/fluffy content. Ideally I’d want my channel to become something like a mix of Discount SoTL and Discount Among the Hidden, with some battles and sketches like the caveman series thrown in.

Definitely a lot of work, but it helps to be a massive nerd passionate about something in a way that makes it easy to focus for 14 hours and forget to eat food yet still (mostly) enjoy the experience.

2 Likes

Nice review – it was refreshing to hear a more balanced view than anything I’ve read on the forums, Reddit and Steam reviews. Also, a nicely made video, especially for your first narrated one. Good job.

Minor nitpick: Vortigern (if he existed) wasn’t English!

I’m still on the fence about getting V&V, mostly because I’m not sure I will actually enjoy the style of the scenarios. So here’s a question for anyone who’s played Filthydelphia’s scenarios: if I want to get a representative feel for the style, which freely available one should I play? I think the only one I’ve tried is Seljuk, but I didn’t get far because I got frustrated with the clunky nomad mechanic. (I can’t remember the details now – maybe you pack up your TC and your other buildings disappear, or something?)

1 Like

What? Next you’ll be telling me that the Britons’ Wonder ought to be roofed with lead rather than copper! But yes, you’re absolutely right.

I feel like I ought to recommend a Viking one, since 4 of the 19 feature Vikings. Perhaps Ironside, as in some ways it’s kind of like Ragnar-lite in terms of being minimally guided open world exploration/raiding, but without a huge quest list, and on a smaller map. Or Mstislav, which has some of Philly’s characteristic elements like unconventional pop growth (from capturing villagers) and eventual availability of UUs/UTs from other civs.

Some others may be safer bets - Rise of Genghis Khan, Shimazu, or The Anarchy of King Stephen, but may give you less of an idea of the highs and lows you’ll find elsewhere. Like I’ve said, there’s some range to his designs and I think most people will like at least a few. And basically any one you choose will give you at least some good information as most of the things that you like, or don’t, will have at least vaguely similar implementations in several other scenarios, it’s just a matter of which combinations of them you find most appealing.

BTW the nomad mechanic you mentioned is in Gaiseric (Vandals), where packing your TC destroys your buildings. IDK about Seljuk as I never played the old version and have only taken a quick peek into the new one.

1 Like

And the spires shouldn’t have slates on them! And the windows ought to have hood moulding! And why is the west front not pointing west, was this cathedral built in the 20th century?! And so on…

Anyway, thanks for your recommendations.

1 Like

For sure, also want to point you to this post on Reddit by a guy who’s finished all the scenarios. I don’t agree with everything, and I think the order in which he played them is a possible source of bias, but still a very well thought-out and helpful review.

https://www.reddit.com/r/aoe2/comments/1bjqwd6/reviewing_every_victorsvanquished_scenario_hard/

2 Likes

Tbh I hate most of his scenarios. It’s basically torturing the player for the sake of torture, unnecessarily lengthy and tedious. Even after I won I didn’t feel any kind of joy.

The only exception is the one where you role play a detective, have conversations with NPCs and find a murderer.