My wish for Age of Empires 4: Add Hero Units

I like the simplicity of AoE2 battles where there is no one special hero unit. Just grab 10, 20, or 50 units, and send them to battle. No need to micro one little one-of-a-king special hero unit for fear they’ll die… or to get them extra experience to carry to the next battles. Just not my thing for AoE.

5 Likes

I don’t like the AoE2 Heroes they don’t feel special at all. They are just slightly more powerful normal units that can’t be converted and regenerate health. They are even weaker than some standard units like Elephants and in some cases even weaker than a single Paladin.
The AoE3 Explorers feel like well explores and not heroes.

Units like the Daimyo/Shogun are the better Heroes. Also the War Chiefs are better than the explorers.
They should support the army instead of being powerful fighters themselves.
Giving them Auras that buff allied troops (moral boost) or if they have active abilities that they should support troops instead of things like damaging one enemy unit.
Something like ability to heal 50% of the HP of all allied units in an area around the Hero or +50% attack for 10 seconds.

It would also be nice if the Heroes for each Civilisation where based on historic figures like the named Greek heroes in AoM.
Also more than one Hero per Civilisation to choose from. But I want to see Saladin vs. Barbarossa in a random match.

1 Like

@Skadidesu
Feels like auras could potentially be a little bit too overpowered in a game like age of empire. You can have 50+ military units in the same army. An aura would give such a huge boost. Simply killing the enemies hero in that case could decide the outcome of the battle.

We already know the mongol Khan will have an ability to scout the map with an eagle. This sound like quite a nice hero ability. Completely agree that they should not be given damage abilities.

If they fail with the hero mechanics it will ruin the game.

5 Likes

As long as they’re not too stong, yes that would be a great spice to the game.
The hero units reminds me of explorers in AoE3. European ones were fine, but the Asian one and native ones were strong enough to change the result of a battle. Some people may like it, but I didn’t. Battles in Age of Empires should be determined based on unit types such as archer, cav and infantry to counter one another. Hope my English makes sense.

7 Likes