My wish for Age of Empires 4: Add Hero Units

It would be nice if we can use hero units not only in the campaigns. I hope there will be also hero units in regular games in the upcoming AOE 4

3 Likes

they confirmed that in interviews

All right let’s talk about facts that are no longer a secret: Special and hero units are confirmed for Age of Empires 4, with the Mongols the Khane take over this function. One of the abilities of these leaders is prominently presented in the trailer, without the viewer noticing it at first glance: The falcon who uncovers the British settlement at the beginning of the video does the same in the game.

The winged scout can be sent out by special ability (probably with cooldown) to uncover the Fog of War on the selected location on the map, then circles for a while and provides the Mongols with such important information about the enemy forces. Say hello to the drone of the Middle Ages!

4 Likes

Thanks for the info!

Not only Hero Units. I think every unit need some level/experience mode. In the lasts age’s we see units as numbers, it isn’t advantageous too save units in some contexts. If general units gain experience and skills when they participate of battles, we’ll give more value the lives of the units and and it will get closer to real life.

1 Like

One of the abilities of these leaders is prominently presented in the trailer, without the viewer noticing it at first glance: The falcon who uncovers the British settlement at the beginning of the video does the same in the game.

The winged scout can be sent out by special ability (probably with cooldown) to uncover the Fog of War on the selected location on the map, then circles for a while and provides the Mongols with such important information about the enemy forces. Say hello to the drone of the Middle Ages!

Ho ho ho ho ho, this is going to be SO cool. Information is power!

1 Like

We should totally start guessing what the other Hero Units and their abilities will be. First: take note that the Mongol Hero doesn’t have an ability realted to the most celebrated characteristic of the Mongols. It doesn’t have a bow that shoots 10 arrows or a horse that runs super fast. His ability has a dose of irreality that makes it perfect for a videogame - hunting falcons really existed, but they couldn’t communicate to their tamer what they had seen in their flight.

So. Brtions. The other confirmed faction. What will be their Hero? A Monarch? Mongol’s is the Khan. However, all the other Europeans civilizations had Kings too, Will Hero Units not be unique? Or maybe they will be named the same, but will have different abilities? British King can do something that Frank King can’t and viceversa. A Khan is a monarchic ruler, anyway.

It could of course be that the Hero unit is more defined as a general then a ruler.

So the Khans counterpart could be an Briton Knight, a Frank Paladin or somethimg similar.

My wish, please don’t add hero units… Oh well :frowning:

I have played enough warcraft 3 to know that I don’t enjoy this kind of game design with micro so important one specific units.

6 Likes

Thanks for the information, this sounds really cool. Could you please provide a link to this interview. I can not find it anywhere

original interview is german.some guys translated it to english

Thank you :sunglasses:

Do you guys think heroe units will be similar to the AOE3 explorer? I hope they do not have “superhuman” combat abilities, making it unreal…

2 Likes

I think they said hero units will be available in campaigns. Unlikely to see them in PvP, it wouldnt be AoE anymore.

1 Like

wow, this would be super cool and realistic, as our units fight battles and win their stats improve thus it would be worth saving/healing them

1 Like

XP for (small) stat increases on units are nothing new for strategy games, I would like that too

2 Likes

Empire: Dawn of the Modern World had exactly that.

1 Like

It would add a new level for the game, I’m not sure If is going to be well received for everyone. Although personally I would like to have heroes that earn xp and get stronger or learn new abilities while level up

@Geojak92 Completely agree with you. I think hero units could be a fun addition to the early game as long as it does not steal focus from managing large scale battles… I sincerely hope you can’t recreate your hero unit(s) once it dies. It’s already extremely micro intensive as it is.

OP hero abilities are undesirable. Hope they keep it simple.

2 Likes

If it’s like the AOE3 explorer it just won’t die and instead get knocked down until you recover it with other units or pay resources - I don’t really like the explorers in AOE3 / treasure hunting it makes it feel like I am playing Warcraft or HoMM(Turn based but still)

2 Likes

Heck yeah I want heroes. They were a really cool addition in AoM and AoE3.