Nations in Age 4 - Appeal to game developers

Japanese, Spanish, Polish insignificant in middle ages. Mayans were discovered in 16th century. I would doubt even Scandinavians in my first 10 list. Where are Turks and Mongols ?

2 Likes

Too many insignificant civs, completely Eurocentric.

1 Like

i donā€™t think so, I said in the previous posts. ā€œIs what i would like to see in final version of game with all dls s from EUROPE nations.ā€

1 Like

Mongols instead of Japanese would be okay, but I wish at least one american civilization (Incas or Mayans). No matter if medieval civs didnā€™t know about South America.

Edit: Turks or Persian instead of Polish is okay too, but Poland and Spain became more powerful in late medieval times / Renaissance, so I donā€™t think they are insignificant. Especially Spain began to become more naval power. And spanish Christians often had conflicts with muslims in medieval times. This makes them more significant.

4 Likes

Not in late medieval but in renaissence.

Ya I hope they have free updates where they add new maps game modes and civs.

2 Likes

Wouldnā€™t it make sense if they based civs on world regions instead like the game War Selection does (or did before the newer updates anyway).

Each region would feature architecture and units unique to civilizations from that region. This way you have a broader scope for each civ and would include many more nations and cultures.

Regions:
Western Europe
Eastern Europe
Middle East & Asia Minor
East Asian
Southeast Asia
North Africa
West Africa
North America
South America

2 Likes

We should think it from the point of view of campaigns because for those they would need to create the civilizations.

I think they are going to make campaign of some of the events happened in Europe and North Africa and Asia. That would be the best way to recycle the civs in different campaigns, because all of those used to mess together so much in History.

So thatā€™s why we can be quite much sure that Rome or Macedonia are most likely going to be here. Maybe Britons and Celts and for me the fortifications in video looked so European that I think France probably also is going to be part of thisā€¦ Then maybe Egypt from Africa and Carthage to have elephants or something. From Asia they would maybe need to create Ottomans at least and maybe Mongols and China.

So if all of those would be added, it would be 10 civs. Probably I guessed completely wrong tho and there could be even less of civs in final product than what I was thinking. :slight_smile:

Because the amount of civs is limited, I think America probably is not going to be part of this. Instead they will probably make ā€œNew worldā€ expansion later. Tho from the marketing standpoint, it would be important to have something for Americans, because most of the players probably are from USA. Idk.

Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ll be happy with whatever civs the devs choose to put into the game. Iā€™m not too picky when it comes to civs. However, I do appreciate variety in terms of gameplay differences between civs, which it sounds like they will have

EDIT: Iā€™m not too picky because we know the general era the game will take place in. If we didnā€™t know, I would definitely care more as Iā€™d worry about more modern day civs and timeline being used.

4 Likes

It should be based on historical mutually distinct cultures present at the time, i hope the game developers avoid the temptation to base historical cutures on modern nation states like Republic of India and USSR, Itā€™s like having a single civilization for whole of the European Union.

1 Like

Iā€™d like to see the Islamic arab empire cause it was a large empire extend from china to Spainā€¦and it has a huge effect on the world that we live nowadays because of their scientists and inventionsā€¦so its important to be one of the great empires that should be in this beautiful gameā€¦
Arab mamluk

Arab warriors

And dont forget saladin

Battle of Jerusalem
saladin-1

Some arab scientists

3 Likes

bruh,this is kipchak

1 Like

:sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:sorry I didnt notice that

1 Like

Yeah, letā€™s put in more civs from America and Africa instead.

Iā€™d love to see the Mississippi culture, the Kongolese Kingdom, Great Zimbabwe and/or the Tā€™ui Tonga empire.

1 Like

What is an Arab Mamluk ?
Mamluks were historically almost exclusively Kipchak Turks with some Oghuz Turks.
Later on to counterbalance them some Circassian and Balkan slaves were also made Mamluk.
Arabs however were never Mamluks.

Mamluk Sultanate is what historians call them. They were historically ed-dawlat-Ć¼ Turkiyyaā€™ state of the Turksā€™ in Arabic.
They used Turkic names ā€˜Baibars, Aibek, Qutuzā€¦ā€™ and spoke Turkic among themselves and considered Turkic the language of the elite and Arabic as the language of the peasants.
They never mixed with the local Arabs, they married with themselves and their children would be Mamluks too. They completely formed an elite isolated layer.
Later in the 14th century Circassians took over and founded the Burji Dynasty but at this point Mamluks were a mere shadow of their former glory. All that ā€˜defeating Mongols, 7th crusade, conquering crusader states etcā€™ happened under Turkic Burji Dynasty prior to 14th century.

2 Likes

examples of Polish architecture, reconstruction of Krakow

6 Likes

Less than AoE2 could mean less than we currently have which is 35.

But if you just made it about native Americans or Africans most people would not buy it, myself included. You canā€™t just miss out Europe in an Age of Empires game.

The whole problem with American civs in Age games has always been that they were always an afterthought and since the template for the generic civs was always based on a European civ (or lets say old world to be more general) its like they had to bastardise the American civs in order to make them fit into a game that was first and foremost about medieval warfare in the old world. TBH if they want to take the same approach again with American civs I would rather they just not include it and just focus on civs from the old world and create a more realistic and immersive game. I donā€™t want to see Aztecs and Mayans with trebuchets, war galleys, crossbowmen and two handed swordsmen in plate armor again just for the sake of ā€œbalanceā€. Unless they really rework those civs to feel authentic without being completely unbalanced but I have no idea how they would do that.

3 Likes

The Spanish insignificant in the Middle Ages? This must be a joke, the crowns of Castile and Aragon were the greatest naval powers since the 14th century with the biggest innovations in naval technology since the 15th century alongside Portugal. The Reconquista, literally the longest war in human history, making Spain and Portugal the countries that have the oldest military regiments in the world, the perfect event for a campaign in the game.

5 Likes