Natural progression or change of the essence of the game?

The warning should be issued when the UT begins researching. Only then can the enemy react.

I already mentioned that I don’t know the research cost / time so can’t speak about how it can be balanced. But opponent has no way to prevent it or prepare for it.
If let’s say only certain units will count towards this gold levy (only Knight line) - then opponents can target Stable buildings and actively kill off Knights (early in the game) to prevent usage of this Tech to generate late game gold. Opponents can prepare - thinking, "OK enemy has 4 stables, increasing Knight numbers - Scutage will be a problem later. So let me attack now itself and kill off the Knights)
But ANY unit will count for Scutage simply gives opponent no breathing room.

I disagree. Getting Housed isn’t a problem for a decently ranked player. Sure it’s a gift for the low ELO folks. It doesn’t change the gameplay much at all.
But a strong military unit that can also build breaks the game.
Forward Vills have a danger of being killed and the idle time can also damage your economy.
But Forward Military + Builder is a massive change.

Donjons/Serjeants are not so expensive as you think, especially in late Feudal after you have resources to click up to Castle. Sure you can’t immediately place two TCs and boom, but your economy can still grow without needing to allocate Vills for rush.

Anyway, I’ll agree to disagree and leave the matter at that.

1 Like