Never Played the First One

So my question is how are the units for each civ? I’m guessing only 3 civs are in the game?

I think the whole game is too long to be explained, but you can check how many civs are ingame right here and also check the units and techs through this Link

@GrizzGolf said:
So my question is how are the units for each civ? I’m guessing only 3 civs are in the game?

That’s AoM , all units are sane for all civs but changes the roster between civs. But aren’t unique.

There are 16 civs. No unique units, however each civ has bonuses and a tech tree that makes them unique with different strats and units that are their strength. 5 different building tilesets. No restrictions on city placement aside form the obvious “you cannot build buildings in the middle of the ocean” etc. Every random/dm map is different, meaning enough seeds that you won’t remember maps unless you are lucky, or play pre-created scenarios only.

@GrizzGolf said:
I’m guessing only 3 civs are in the game?

This made me laugh like a madman and I don’t even blame you at all. The main picture certainly lays the magic number 3 out for you.

Thankfully the Civ selection was one of the great things about AoE - The pool actually got smaller as the games got newer, Age of Mythology did (pretty much) just have 3 civs… Which was really quite lame, that I can’t deny.

I got over it and I still love AoM, just as much as AoK and AoE.

Some Civs will look kind of the same, but there’s enough game-play stock in the original to make them feel different.

Would I have liked each Civ to have it’s own unique look? Hell yes I would, but I don’t think we’re gonna get that sadly.

Do I think having a Hoplite/Phalanx/Centurion unit in the Yamato army is (historically speaking) beyond effin’ stupid? Yes… Yes I do, but whatever, I can deal…

The pool actually got smaller as the games got newer, Age of Mythology did (pretty much) just have 3 civs… Which was really quite lame, that I can’t deny.

True, but sort of an incomplete answer. The games that had fewer civs (AoM ended up with 4, AoEO ended with 6) all had unique units. Balancing civs is super tricky and the more civs you add, the complexity of balancing can skyrocket. So while AoE1 had 16 civs, they do not feel nearly as unique as those in the other games, and I am quite certain that the amount of development time spent on creating more civs was higher in those later games.

@“Andy P” said:

The pool actually got smaller as the games got newer, Age of Mythology did (pretty much) just have 3 civs… Which was really quite lame, that I can’t deny.

True, but sort of an incomplete answer. The games that had fewer civs (AoM ended up with 4, AoEO ended with 6) all had unique units. Balancing civs is super tricky and the more civs you add, the complexity of balancing can skyrocket. So while AoE1 had 16 civs, they do not feel nearly as unique as those in the other games, and I am quite certain that the amount of development time spent on creating more civs was higher in those later games.

Yeah I did totally forget to add that point, and it’s a very valid one.

Age of Mythology was my favourite of the entire series for a long time regardless of the point I made. Only when AoK:HD came out did that become my favourite once again.