New AI units when trained or shipped sometimes move to a target location before attacking. Don't attack invaders on the way

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

• GAME BUILD #: 100.12.43871.0
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:point_down: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.

Newly trained or shipped AI troops will sometimes move to a set location before they attack. This is particularly bad when AI needs to defend its base. In the game recording below, some musketeers are shipped to the TC of the Portuguese AI at around the 17:40 mark, which is under attack. Instead of fighting the attackers, the musketeers are marching to some location on the map. Only after they reach that location, they fight back. Before that they can be killed easily.

Note some of the musketeers are walking away to the front of the base.

A similar thing happens with the cannon - the heavy cannon when shipped (at the 18:20 mark) don’t immediately start attacking the Janissaries sieging the TC. They try to move towards some location and get killed before doing ANY damage at all (that is a separate issue). The cannon could have EASILY taken out the janissaries - the cannon behavior must be fixed.

This was in the PUP, and I think I reported this to @Ippert at some point in some thread. But I guess it wasn’t fixed in the official patch.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

• 75% of the time / matches I play (Frequently)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Observe AI behavior when units are produced, particularly with enemy troops nearby.
  2. Many times units want to move somewhere before attacking, but needlessly die in the process.

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:point_down: What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?
Units produced at a building being sieged should try to minimize losses - they can kite, or run away, but definitely not move towards the enemy and get killed without fighting back. Cannon behavior must improve.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

:point_down: Attach a SAVE GAME (.aoe3Ysav) or GAME RECORDING (.aoe3Yrec) of the match where you encountered the issue. Link it below if using an external file service.

Hello @DiplexBoss6!

Thank you for your detailed report :blush:. We’re already tracking this issue.

Just found this bug again on the October PUP.

To be fair, a fix wasn’t promised in the patch notes. But I hope you guys fix it soon.

Games against AI are now so much more fun than before. Thank you so much!

This is happening in November PUP also. In some games, any military trained or shipped by the AI will not attack till they reach some gather point on the map.

oh, and thanks for the Shotels!

Record Game 2021-10-22 22-42-21.age3Yrec (8.5 MB)

Hi devs,

This issue still remains. I played a few games today and it happened in all of them. The nice thing is that AI now builds military buildings in the back of the base. The bad thing is that the units trained from these buildings rally to the front of the base and if they are attacked on the way, they don’t fight back.

Record Game 2021-12-02 21-12-15.age3Yrec (2.7 MB)

See this recording towards the end when I finally get to sieging the French base. Some dragoons train from the stable in the back but don’t attack my troops till they reach the front of my base.

2 Likes

Heey, we’re working on a long term proper solution for this issue :slight_smile: It’s not forgotten :+1:

1 Like